TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Is Ryan's Career Over?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

gsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to all
Is Ryan's Career Over?

I saw this post from Maven in another thread, and I felt it warranted it's own thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
So. Do we really think that Ryan's career is over at age 34, or has that already been over-discussed?
It would seem that he would like his career to be over so he doesn't have to work to please the dulled masses anymore. However, he would like to still be seen as a genius, so he dangles hours of unreleased albums over our heads, talking them up endlessly but never actually letting us hear them. In order to solidify his genius status he has branched out into other mediums: paintings, short films, poetry and, now forthcoming, short stories or possibly even novels. Unfortunately, it would appear that he is not as skilled in these ventures as he is in the music department. I have enjoyed some of these extra-curricular activities, but I think that he's spreading himself to thin, and the thing that attracted us to him in the first place is suffering dearly: the music.

Perhaps it's less taxing emotionally for Ryan to create written works than it is to create music. Or maybe it's easier for him to fake emotional depth on paper; that would explain why Cardinology was a wimpy effort. Bottom line is Ryan seems to have Writer's Block. He's a talented musician and easily churn out songs at the wave of a hand, but are they worthy of our time and ears? Writer's Block doesn't have to mean literally not being able to write a single note or word. I would certainly label Cardinology as a work made by an artist with Writer's Block. The signs started to show with Easy Tiger even, considering the amount of unreleased and reworked songs that were included. Taking a break, as he's doing now, and whittling down these hundreds of song fragments and ideas that would otherwise turn up on foggy to a small selection of tightly constructed songs would be the best thing for him right now.

Ryan's career doesn't have to be over if he doesn't want it to be, he just has to find a new way to channel his creativity. In the old days, drugs and alcohol fueled his music. In the past few years he's let his songs become inspired by the things he does to stay away from substances, such as comic books, zombie films, and staying up late on the computer, and as such his songs have grown weaker. Why haven't we heard any sentimental proclamations of love for Mandy? I'm not saying that he has to become a sappy crooner, but even Bob Dylan's music got bit by the love bug when he got married, hence "Lay Lady Lay." Unfortunately the period marital bliss that followed found his Bobness creatively bereft as well. Ryan knows that his best material was born out of anger and spite, but it seems he no longer has anything to be angry about, so he lashes out at fans to prove he's still edgy. If Ryan is going to make his music (and possibly marriage) work, he will need to either channel this negative energy into his music or get rid of it in an effort to be happy and reconnect with his love of music, rather than love of drama.

To the best of my knowledge Ryan hasn't done a solo tour since early 2006, right before he got sober. Ryan is afraid to go it alone, hence hiding himself in the anonymity of the Cardinals. However, he's lost his musical identity and managing to alienate both band members and die hard fans along the way. I would love to see Ryan do another solo tour and reconnect with the things that made him love music in the first place. Revisit old deep cuts, surprise us with some Whiskeytown material, play some of that unreleased stuff. Laying himself naked like that would go over well with both the fans AND critics. That's what we need to see right now: Ryan Adams the Songwriter, not Ryan Adams the Hype Machine.

Last edited by gsmile; 08-15-2009 at 07:10 PM..
gsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is Ryan's Career Over?

i think once he gets his head out of his asshole he will come back. the cardinals were a great band. if he gets back into the music he was doing in 2005 and just jam, he will be awesome.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Maven

Maven has a spectacular aura about

Also, it was two years I believe between those 3 albums he put out in 2005 and not all that much was heard of him during those two years (well, someone reminded me of a tour or two), and then he finally put out Easy Tiger and that sold well, and he seemed to be (nearly) on top of his game again. It could be he will take another 1-2 year break from music (other than noodling around at home on the acoustic, which I'm so sure he's doing), and keep his toe in the Fame Pond by things like art shows and book releases. It doesn't appear that his marriage is really keeping him that "high profile" in the Publicity Dept. -- not many photos of them together are seen, and when they are they come and go with very little excitement from the Internet Community In General. I don't mean to suggest that his marriage is going to help "keep his career going" but it might have helped to keep him famous but I don't see a lot of evidence of that, actually.
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

No his career is not over.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
gonefishing

gonefishing is just really nicegonefishing is just really nicegonefishing is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmile View Post
I saw this post from Maven in another thread, and I felt it warranted it's own thread:

However, he's lost his musical identity and managing to alienate both band members and die hard fans along the way. I would love to see Ryan do another solo tour and reconnect with the things that made him love music in the first place. Revisit old deep cuts, surprise us with some Whiskeytown material, play some of that unreleased stuff. Laying himself naked like that would go over well with both the fans AND critics. That's what we need to see right now: Ryan Adams the Songwriter, not Ryan Adams the Hype Machine.
So you want him to bleed some more? No wonder he laughed at you.
gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

gsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
So you want him to bleed some more? No wonder he laughed at you.
I don't want him to "bleed" for himself or anyone else. If Mick and Keith can get up on stage and sing songs about heroin addiction and Brian Wilson can complete his troubled SMiLE album and tour the world with it, then surely Ryan can get up on stage and sing some songs that he wrote during bad times. Instead of trying to deny that the past ever happened, it's always better to embrace it and learn from it. Instead of associating those songs with drugged out nightmares, Ryan should accept the great work he accomplished, especially because it helped him get through a tough period of drug and alcohol addiction. If you had read my post to Ryan correctly, you would have noticed that I have also gone through periods of alcohol problems, so I would not wish pain and suffering upon any one.

When I wrote "Laying himself naked like that would go over well with both the fans AND critics", I meant that doing a solo tour or perhaps even just some surprise solo shows would probably be very therapeutic for Ryan in terms of reconnecting himself with his music. It's hard to fake it when it's just you and a guitar on stage. Some of Ryan's greatest shows have been solo performances. It would help restore some faith in the fans eyes, and just to play devil's advocate here, if Ryan is still hunting for press then critics always love a heartfelt solo performance. Everybody wins.

I do not wish anyone on this planet to "bleed", physically, emotionally, or mentally. I respectfully suggest that you misunderstood my post.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't want him to "bleed" for himself or anyone else. If Mick and Keith can get up on stage and sing songs about heroin addiction and Brian Wilson can complete his troubled SMiLE album and tour the world with it, then surely Ryan can get up on stage and sing some songs that he wrote during bad times. Instead of trying to deny that the past ever happened, it's always better to embrace it and learn from it. Instead of associating those songs with drugged out nightmares, Ryan should accept the great work he accomplished, especially because it helped him get through a tough period of drug and alcohol addiction. If you had read my post to Ryan correctly, you would have noticed that I have also gone through periods of alcohol problems, so I would not wish pain and suffering upon any one.
I completely agree with everything you said here. You make some great points, G.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
tigermilk
<3

tigermilk is just really nicetigermilk is just really nice

I didn't read everything, there was a lot, but I was just thinking maybe its not that he doesn't want to do all of the stuff, mostly the playing live shows part, but that he can't, because he's going deaf, or whatever
tigermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

Pete Townshend has gone on record several times saying that loud concerts have left him almost completely deaf, and yet he's on tour with the Who every couple of years or so it seems. A solo tour would be easier on Ryan's ears for sure. A large rock sound like the Cardinals probably does a lot to aggravate his hearing problems, but a combination of voice and guitar/piano would probably be manageable. I would hope that Ryan would not be able to stay away from live performance; there's nothing that compares to the rush of getting lost in that moment in front of an audience, getting caught up in the music and just letting it flow. I think his personal feelings right now are getting in the way of what he loves and does best. Unless he only played live and made records to obtain fame and celebrity, which at this point I still refuse to believe, regardless of the evidence piling up otherwise.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Maven

Maven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

When I wrote "Laying himself naked like that would go over well with both the fans AND critics", I meant that doing a solo tour or perhaps even just some surprise solo shows would probably be very therapeutic for Ryan in terms of reconnecting himself with his music. It's hard to fake it when it's just you and a guitar on stage. Some of Ryan's greatest shows have been solo performances. It would help restore some faith in the fans eyes, and just to play devil's advocate here, if Ryan is still hunting for press then critics always love a heartfelt solo performance. Everybody wins.

I do not wish anyone on this planet to "bleed", physically, emotionally, or mentally. I respectfully suggest that you misunderstood my post.
Incredibly well said. Even I could hardly have put it better.

Also, I love Rob's seemingly utter belief (unless he's being sarcastic and I'm missing it) that Ryan's career is not over. Ah, to be so sure! Must be lovely.
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

i am positive, his career is not over
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
it's only words

it's only words will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Is Ryan's Career Over?

gsmile, you seem to be have a pretty heavy opinion on Ryan and his music considering you say to the best of your knowledge he hasn't had a solo career since start of 2006! Isn't that called stating the obvious?. Im sorry that you feel let down by his recent music, but you think you speak with some sort of authority that you are talking for the whole his fan base. If you think there is any danger of Ryan's music career being over then you have obviously not followed him and the music very closely over the last ten years. You even try and advise on making his marriage work. For someone so disappointed you seem to be have been dragged in hook line and sinker by the oldest trick in the book. Leave the fans wanting more or leaving the fans anxious about what the next move may be. Just watch Don't Look back, the Neil Young documentary and see Ryan who Ryan is influenced by. Don't worry Ryan will be back soon with some new music to moan about.
it's only words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's only words View Post
gsmile, you seem to be have a pretty heavy opinion on Ryan and his music considering you say to the best of your knowledge he hasn't had a solo career since start of 2006! Isn't that called stating the obvious?. Im sorry that you feel let down by his recent music, but you think you speak with some sort of authority that you are talking for the whole his fan base. If you think there is any danger of Ryan's music career being over then you have obviously not followed him and the music very closely over the last ten years. You even try and advise on making his marriage work. For someone so disappointed you seem to be have been dragged in hook line and sinker by the oldest trick in the book. Leave the fans wanting more or leaving the fans anxious about what the next move may be. Just watch Don't Look back, the Neil Young documentary and see Ryan who Ryan is influenced by. Don't worry Ryan will be back soon with some new music to moan about.
Gsmile's opinion may sound heavy to you, but it is just that...an opinion. They come in all shapes and sizes, my friend. That is the beauty of a message board such as this.

Also, Don't Look Back was a Bob Dylan documentary.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
it's only words

yes an opinion is fine but as I said gsmile thinks he speaks as the voice of Ryan Adams fans. Yes i meant to say Don't be Denied- I don't think Ryan will, he learnt from the greatest- Ryan is laughing at people like you- The thing you should have learnt with Ryan by now is that he will never give you what you want or expect- that is what makes him so facinating (it seems some people can't cope/understand it)
Old 08-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

Ryan, why are you here?

I'm having a really bad week.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

I don't mean to prolong this argument or anything, but I really disagree when you say Gsmile was trying to "speak as the voice of all Ryan Adams fans".

I personally think his post was very well thought out. It's not like he was making any harsh digs at the guy, just stating an honest opinion.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruit View Post
Ryan, why are you here?
hee hee
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
it's only words

as you say just stating an honest opinion!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's only words View Post
gsmile thinks he speaks as the voice of Ryan Adams fans.
And you think you speak as the voice of Ryan Adams.

Gsmile thought out his post, made a separate thread, wrote it out logically. I thought it was well done. I don't agree with what he said, but, how about you argue the specific points of his argument that you would like to disagree with instead of going all ad hominem on him. Attacking him and not his argument in your first few posts reeks of troll.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Wow, I should not have taken a mango juice break while writing that, now I am all behind in the thread.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotulism View Post
And you think you speak as the voice of Ryan Adams.
Unless...that is Ryan Adams.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #22
robotulism
lamest gamer

Wouldn't be the first time Ryan went trolling.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #23
it's only words

i just though it was a bit much gsmile giving Ryan guidance on music and marriage!!!That's all.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #24
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my two cents on this whole thing:
People have opinions.
People disagree with opinions.
Those disagreements are called a difference of opinion...
People have opinions...

You see what I'm sayin?

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
robotulism
lamest gamer

Yeah, but we have run out of things to talk about.

They are just ideas anyway. People love to give advice. These things happen. I don't think anyone is intending to be THE VOICE of anyone besides themselves, but if you like, I'll write up a disclaimer like on DVDs.

**The opinions expressed here represent those making the comments, not TBY, the entire fanbase, or it's affiliates.**
Sponsored Links

Tags
stfu and blow me