TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Ghost Town > Justin Townes Earle Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Going to see JTE ***Official Thread***

Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #26
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Going to see JTE ***Official Thread***

Forgot about this thread, here is my post about March 29th 2012 show in Bloomington, IL. Also...Corey Chisel opened, nice suprise

He was right on last night! SMilied alot joked a lot, great stories. Had guitar player and bass players he had on Letterman show but he indicated this tour will either be with full band some nights or solo others, he cant keep track of all the different ways to play his songs. So last night was a trio and they sounded great. Then he did some solo songs, blusey, vocal was great. Played 7 songs off of new album. Unfortunately, Ana was perfect. He did Burning Bad Gasoline and a Townes cover solo and I think they were the best vocal I have heard from him. Great show, just makes me want to see him with a full on band.

Best comment from the night. Some dude yells out "Mama's Eyes" and he says...'You really think I wouldn't do that song. My dad got stuck with Copperhead Road and I got stuck with Mama's Eyes, I think I got the better end of the deal'
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #27
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Seeing him in six days. Can't wait.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Saw him last night. It was pretty good, although I wasn't in love with having an electric guitar in that mix. I preferred it when the guitar player was on steel instead. The stand up bass was nice. I think I liked the band / instruments I've seen him with in the past better.

He looked pretty bad. Not acting drunk or anything just looked so skinny, patchy facial hair, and his hair was long and greasy. Maybe that's just the look he's going for, but he looked really unhealthy.

Unfortunately I didn't stay to the end because I got a call from my dad in the middle that my uncle had just passed away. So that put a damper on the night...

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #29
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
Unfortunately I didn't stay to the end because I got a call from my dad in the middle that my uncle had just passed away. So that put a damper on the night...
I'm sorry to hear that, La.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #30
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

thanks, lukin.

Spoiler:

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #31
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

I am seeing him on the 20th in Aurora IL. Very excited.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #32
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I just saw that and think I'm gonna jump on that too. Tickets only 5 bucks?
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #33
sipowicz

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Yeah I just saw that and think I'm gonna jump on that too. Tickets only 5 bucks?
Yep! I don't know if the "YIP" is worth it for 50 bucks, but for 5 bucks, WELL WORTH IT!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #34
sipowicz

Tomorrow is the day! Super excited.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #35
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

I wish he would get away from the full band, and go back to three piece sets. But with his shift to more bluesy music, he kind of has to do an electric guitar.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #36
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Excited to see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully the crowd is respectful
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #37
sipowicz

Quote:
Excited to see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully the crowd is respectful
Me too! I decided to buy VIP tickets, so hopefully it is worth it...
Old 06-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #38
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

What do those get you?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #39
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

I'm taking chances on the 5 dollar ones. Apparently it does t guarantee admittance but I can't imagine this sells out
Old 06-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #40
sipowicz

I just got back from Two Brothers Festival. Kind of a let down...

Solo he was great, on point, good presence on stage. But with the band, he really loses something. PLUS, the band wasn't very good. The bass player looked like a cross between a Muppet and Lil Stevie Van Zandt. It seemed like a shitty bar band he found and is going to take on tour.

I have tix to see him again in September in Madison, so hopefully the bans improves.

The new songs sound good though.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #41
sipowicz

Quote:
I'm taking chances on the 5 dollar ones. Apparently it does t guarantee admittance but I can't imagine this sells out
What did you think of the show?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #42
GILMORE104
Moo

I think he's been using this same band for awhile now. I've never really thought much of them either. He's much better solo or in a three piece
Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #43
sipowicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post
I think he's been using this same band for awhile now. I've never really thought much of them either. He's much better solo or in a three piece
Yeah, the lady who use to play upright bass with him was great. Miss her.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #44
GILMORE104
Moo

Had the biggest crush on her. I think she left the band to have a baby
Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #45
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I just got back from Two Brothers Festival. Kind of a let down...

Solo he was great, on point, good presence on stage. But with the band, he really loses something. PLUS, the band wasn't very good. The bass player looked like a cross between a Muppet and Lil Stevie Van Zandt. It seemed like a shitty bar band he found and is going to take on tour.

I have tix to see him again in September in Madison, so hopefully the bans improves.

The new songs sound good though.
This is really spot on for me, too. I was happy to see him take the stage solo to open the night. He was in a good mood and looked sober (even joked he was drinking iced tea). The solo stuff was much better than everything full band. Aside from the bass player, who I didn't care for, I thought the rest of his band was... Boring. There was nothing too offensive, they just didn't do a whole lot for me.

My highlight was Rogers Park. Love the tune and he talked quite a bit about the city and the cubs.

Overall I enjoyed it, but at this point id rather see him solo or back with his three-piece band.

The new songs were good. I think the record is going to be really nice.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #46
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

"Worried about the weather" I liked, but thought it sounded a lot like slipping and sliding. I thought at first it was an intro
Old 06-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #47
sipowicz

Quote:
"Worried about the weather" I liked, but thought it sounded a lot like slipping and sliding. I thought at first it was an intro
Agree. It was great when someone yelled "play a train song" and he yelled that he already did and they were late, or something like that.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #48
sipowicz

I am seeing JTE tonight in Madison. Anyone else going? Rob?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #49
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
PLUS, the band wasn't very good. The bass player looked like a cross between a Muppet and Lil Stevie Van Zandt. It seemed like a shitty bar band he found and is going to take on tour.
just saw that the bass player and drummer are from Centro-matic, or at least they've been with him for several shows. Damn.

And that's an unfortunate yet spot-on description of Mark Hedman.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #50
Techstudent

Techstudent is on a distinguished road

I saw him play last night at Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry, NH. It was my first time seeing him play and a fine show it was. Great set and humorous banter between songs made for a memorable, intimate, show.

At one point he looked down and noticed his top shirt button was undone and he said "I look like a guy selling blow. Haven't done it in 13 years but if I was looking for blow, I'd be looking for the guy with the open shirt and asking him into the bathroom. I suppose that's one of several reasons for asking a guy into the bathroom".

Great night and certainly worth the effort to catch him if you can. I hope to see him with a full band at some point - looking forward to more!
Techstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
jte, justin townes earle, live, setlist, tour