TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Thanksgiving Rescue Thread!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Thanksgiving Rescue Thread!

Any Thanksgiving-related discussion can happen here. Turkey instructions, how to avoid your annoying relatives, football picks, this thread has it all.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thanksgiving Rescue Thread!

Anything turkey and food-related can be found here: http://www.butterball.com/
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

My favorite holiday.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Any idea how I can keep my aunt from making her Ambrosia Salad this year?

Accidentally set it on the floor for the dog? Knock it off the table?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Cross-link to the TBY Recipe Thread: http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=4825

I think Wok's bourbon sweet potatoes recipe is in there somewhere (top of page 3).

Last edited by hildegoat; 10-27-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Turkey texts for your iPhone: http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-t...ts/mobile-site
Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Setting me up for success
Old 10-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

The key to an awesome turkey is putting a bunch of herbed butter between the skin and the breast.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Is ambrosia salad that sick marshmallow thing?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

you betcha complete with canned fruit cocktail.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Too bad this thread wasn't around a few weeks ago.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
wonderwheel

wonderwheel is a glorious beacon of lightwonderwheel is a glorious beacon of lightwonderwheel is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The key to an awesome turkey is putting a bunch of herbed butter between the skin and the breast.
i would also add getting a syringe and injecting the turkey with your choice of spices.
wonderwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

I think I'm doing my turkey practice run this saturday.

Oh! Halloween turkey! Yes, I'll start a new trend.

I am actually going to stuff it this time, as I'll have time to bake it all day. Anyone have a good sage stuffing recipe?
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

I've never made a turkey (or anything other than a sidedish) before. Maybe I will try this year. Or maybe not, since I'm not sure I'll be eating with anyone except my roommate

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

You can come to my thanksgiving!

Although, I should warn you that after we eat, our family's tradition is to get drunk and all play games that involve yelling.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I've never stuffed a turkey. The few I've made I've just tossed half an onion, some garlic, salt, pepper and sage. If I have time, I'll see if I can find a recipe.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've never stuffed a turkey. The few I've made I've just tossed half an onion, some garlic, salt, pepper and sage. If I have time, I'll see if I can find a recipe.
I made a really yummy hazelnut and fig stuffing last Christmas. I'll see if I can dig up the recipe in a bit.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Wayfaringmind
Sketchy

Wayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotulism View Post
You can come to my thanksgiving!

Although, I should warn you that after we eat, our family's tradition is to get drunk and all play games that involve yelling.
I want to come to your Thanksgiving!!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
robotulism
lamest gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaringmind View Post
I want to come to your Thanksgiving!!
Please do!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I made a really yummy hazelnut and fig stuffing last Christmas. I'll see if I can dig up the recipe in a bit.
plz do - that sounds amazing.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Found it:

Hazelnut and fig stuffing

50g butter
1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups fresh breadcrumbs (use day old bread if you can)
90g (1/3 cup) coarsely chopped dried figs
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (use the Continental, broadleafed one if possible)
45g (1/c) coarsely chopped dry-roasted hazelnuts
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind.

To make the stuffing, melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl.
Next, heat the olive oil in the frypan. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Cook, stirring often until they are light golden. Transfer them to the bowl. Add the fig, parsley and hazelnuts and lemon rind and stir to combine.

Placing some thin slices of lemon under the skin of the turkey breast works really nicely with this stuffing as well. I usually put some fresh rosemary on the base of the roasting pan as well as near the turkey's butt. I finish it off with some more sliced lemon (just a few slices) and a sprig of rosemary to decorate.
Basting it every half hour with melted butter makes it nice and golden.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
maddiehope
Eat it, Wonder Boy

maddiehope is a jewel in the roughmaddiehope is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think Wok's bourbon sweet potatoes recipe is in there somewhere (top of page 3).
holy hell, how did I miss that?!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #23
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

I always make the pies.....always

Pumpkin and Chocolate are required

Mix it up with different fruit pies, strawberry rubarb is great if can get good rubarb. Also like to make a chocolate pecan pie, quite yummy.
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
Butterballs or Cheese Balls, an Online Barometer
By KIM SEVERSON

If you are in Oregon this Thanksgiving, you stand a better than average chance of encountering Tofurkey. More people in New York are looking for caterers to prepare the holiday meal than anywhere else in the country. Live in the Southeast? Brace yourself for a big scoop of broccoli casserole.

And no matter where in the United States you are, don’t be surprised if the host molds refrigerated breadstick dough and bakes it into a cornucopia centerpiece. It is the break-out hit recipe of the season at Allrecipes.com, the nation’s largest cooking Web site.

Now that millions of cooks seek out recipes online, the culinary habits of a nation on its greatest food holiday can be codified and analyzed — a boon for marketers and trend watchers.

There are no huge surprises. Millions of people will, in fact, eat turkey. But regional differences and the precise time that Thanksgiving panic kicks in can be pinpointed as never before.

At all the big food Web sites, traffic on the day before Thanksgiving dwarfs that of all other days.

By 9 p.m. Wednesday, 785,000 people had looked up turkey recipes at Allrecipes.com. For most of the day, the site was handling one million page views an hour.

“We built server capacity for the day before Thanksgiving, then use only 50 percent of it the rest of the year,” said Lisa Sharples, president of the site, which is based in Seattle.

For the last five years, Google searches for Thanksgiving recipes have climbed steadily, doubling from 2007 to 2008, according to results from Insights for Search, a tool that indexes the volume of Google search trends.

By comparison, things are relatively sleepy over at the Butterball hot line. This Thanksgiving, the turkey experts expect to handle about 11,000 phone calls. That is the same as last year. The action has moved online, which is why this year, for the first time, hot line operators are answering questions on Twitter.

“Definitely, this is where newer cooks are going for information,” said Bridget O’Malley, a spokeswoman for Butterball.

It is hard to draw very many conclusions based on search trends. The fact that cooks in the Southeast rarely look up crust recipes could mean that they are not interested in pies or that they bake so many that no one needs to be told how to do it. And what of all the searches for “cheese ball” in the Midwest? Do people in Indiana just forget how to make it each year, or are cheese balls winning new converts?

We may never know why cooks in North Carolina show more interest in sweet potatoes, their most-queried side dish, than people in any other state. Or why a broccoli casserole belt extends through Appalachia and ends in Florida.

International trends can even be figured out. Spanish-language Google hunts for Thanksgiving recipes are most fervent in Panama, a country popular with American expatriates, especially retirees.

That pumpkin is far and away the most searched-for pie recipe on Google is not a surprise. But that apple has upset pecan for runner-up is. In Wisconsin, apple is the winner. In Mississippi, that honor falls to pecan.

The rhythm of the nation’s kitchens can also be parsed, on an hour-by-hour basis.

At Allrecipes.com, pie searches got the most action on Wednesday morning. But by 10 a.m., people began earnest hunts for sweet potato casserole and stuffing recipes. By noon, 100,000 people had searched for mashed potato recipes.

The real outlier is gravy. If this Thanksgiving Day is anything like last year’s, most searches will slow by 10 a.m. But not gravy. That vexing cook’s kryptonite should peak about 3 p.m.

Search data are also a way to track the Thanksgiving trends, which cycle through the years like hemlines. Curiosity about deep-fried turkey is growing faster than questions about brining, with Allrecipes.com reporting a 188 percent jump in people viewing information on the technique this year over 2008.

Last week at Epicurious, whose recipes come from the pages of Gourmet and Bon Appétit, there were a few search surprises. Brussels sprouts were in the top 10. So was pumpkin pie, which peaked earlier than usual.

People who work at the site attributed the rush to news reports of a possible canned pumpkin shortage.

For companies interested in driving deep into the psychology of cooks, this new insight into Thanksgiving cooking habits is a potential game-changer. Now, someone selling turkey-frying kettles or frozen pie shells can more easily figure out what people need and, perhaps more important, why they need it.

“Almost every human emotion could possibly start a search,” said Kevin Kells, head of consumer packaged goods for Google. That could include the thrill-seeking cook looking to make a turducken (a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey) or the jittery novice who cannot bake.

“When you marketed in the past, you had to guess at the consumer’s motivation,” Mr. Kells said. “Now you have the answers to that right in front of you.”

For marketing executives at Safeway, the third-largest grocery store chain in the country, taking advantage of search traffic was simply a matter of following the cooks.

“Our overall digital strategy is that we want our content where people are looking for information,” said Michael Minasi, president of marketing. And, he said, that is largely YouTube, especially for younger cooks who do not have much experience preparing festive holiday meals. So last year, the company made a YouTube video of a streamlined two-hour turkey recipe.

“How to” is the second-largest category on YouTube. Type in “how to cook a turkey” and you can pick from more than 3,700 videos. “How to roast a turkey” offers another 3,800.

For Rob Barrett, a 44-year-old father in Minneapolis, such requests could prove lucrative. He expects as many as 10,000 people to view his homemade 10-minute clip about cooking turkey this year. He claims that he now makes about a quarter of his income from sponsorship for his videos on YouTube and his Web site, Cooking for Dads.

Of course, all of this electronic help does not change the reality that Thanksgiving dinner, while not particularly complex, is a challenge to get on the table. Google all you want, but it is still up to the cook to put the turkey in the oven in time.

And for all the regional distinctions shown by search data, at least one trait unifies the nation’s cooks. We are procrastinators.

The extremely high search volume on Wednesday means many people were making menu and shopping decisions at the last minute.

“As a snapshot of America,” said Tanya Wenman Steel, the editor in chief of Epicurious, “it shows that people aren’t planning.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/26/dining/26search.html
Old 11-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Interactive Thanksgiving recipe map: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...h-graphic.html
Sponsored Links