TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

UK Labour leadership race

Old 09-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #26
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Labour leadership race

Found the source....it was a YouGov poll commissioned by The New Statesman.

Quote:
The first column sets out the views of those who voted for Corbyn to be party leader. The final three columns are taken from a separate survey of more than 10,000 electors. Currently, just over a quarter would vote Labour; a further 20 per cent would consider doing so. To win in 2020, Labour must retain the support of almost all its present supporters and at least half its potential voters.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-and-campaigns
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #27
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Found the source....it was a YouGov poll commissioned by The New Statesman.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-and-campaigns
Ta!
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #28
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Looking at the local by-elections for council seats in the UK, Labour are making small gains in their strongholds, and small loses elsewhere. Early days, but Corbynmania is not having an effect on actual election results.

Have a look here for polls & elections results: @britainelects
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #29
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The problem Corbyn faces is that despite this poll showing that Cameron is seen as ‘out of touch’ (64%), he is also seen as a ‘capable leader’ (62%), ‘good in a crisis’ (51%) and having a ‘clear vision for Britain’ (56%). He is seen as competent and I suspect that this is why Lord Ashcroft’s recent book won’t hurt him too much. The public know he is posh but they trust him as PM. (Incidentally, I suspect that as long as Labour attack Cameron for being ‘out of touch’ and posh – rather than attack on the substance of his perceived competence – I suspect that they won’t get very far either).

It isn’t all bad for the Labour leader though. 54% agree that Corbyn is ‘more honest than most politicians’ whilst perhaps more importantly some 31% say that they ‘don’t know’ whether they are satisfied or dissatisfied with him. In contrast, just 7% say the same about David Cameron who has a net satisfaction rating of minus 10. This means that, theoretically at least, Corbyn has time to improve his standing with the voters. He just doesn’t have much of it. However, as we know, should Corbyn make it to 2020, he won’t be standing against Cameron anyway which is another plus.

Personally, as I wrote on this blog last week, I don’t think Corbyn will make it to 2020. Therefore Labour’s chances in 2020, if you think they have any, largely rest on who replaces him as leader and the state of the Labour Party brand when they do. It is here where today’s poll should be most worrying for Labour.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/ind...5/09/24/80358/
Old 10-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #30
Sydneyfan

Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but from all the way over here, Corbyn choosing Seumas Milne as his spin doctor seems a really odd decision. Obviously they have a lot in common ideologically, but it's hardly going to allay concerns amongst uncommitted voters that Corbyn is too left wing. Every controversial Milne article will now be unearthed and presented with the assumption that Corbyn largely agrees with it.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #31
Izzy Eviel
I know

Quote:
Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but from all the way over here, Corbyn choosing Seumas Milne as his spin doctor seems a really odd decision. Obviously they have a lot in common ideologically, but it's hardly going to allay concerns amongst uncommitted voters that Corbyn is too left wing. Every controversial Milne article will now be unearthed and presented with the assumption that Corbyn largely agrees with it.
I've looked at his wiki, seems a very clever bloke. Worth listening to.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #32
Sydneyfan

The result of the Oldham by-election should be crucial for Corbyn. A poor result (or worst case scenario, a UKIP win) is going to further increase the pressure on his leadership I would have thought.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #33
Sydneyfan

Looks like Labour are unofficially claiming victory already. Low turnout - between 20-30%.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #34
Sydneyfan

Latest Betfair has Corbyn at 91%, Owen Smith at just 9% for the leadership. Despite the horrible polls. Clearly not a lot of pragmatists amongst the general Labour membership.

I don't know whether the Lib Dems can reinvent themselves, but I suspect now would be a really opportune time for a new centre left party to emerge.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 08-09-2016 at 03:23 AM..
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #35
Izzy Eviel
I know

The problem with us Lib Dem's is that we are the most pro eu party, and secondly, the disaster of 2010-15 has rather destroyed our base support & grassroots organisation. It takes time & effort to rebuild. The signs are encouraging, we are winning in local council by-elections all over the country, & membership is now higher than it was in 2010. Money & exposure are the two main problems - as you'd expect for a 4th/5th ranked party.

Corbyn is the British Trump in the sense that the base think he can do no wrong, and that the 'establishment' hates him and has constantly been trying to undermine him.

Left or right, if Labour are going to have a chance of winning the next election, they need to unite properly behind one person. They seem incapable of doing that.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #36
Sydneyfan

I wonder whether the divisions between the left and right are just too vast for them to unite, especially with Corbyn in charge. Another leader might be able to negotiate some common ground, but they seem to be stuck at an impasse right now.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #37
Sydneyfan

Interested to hear from any UKers about their thoughts/opinions on the antisemitism row currently engulfing Labour. It's getting decent coverage here and from this distance, all looks pretty loony to be honest.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #38
roscoe

roscoe has a spectacular aura aboutroscoe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Interested to hear from any UKers about their thoughts/opinions on the antisemitism row currently engulfing Labour. It's getting decent coverage here and from this distance, all looks pretty loony to be honest.
A lot of folks believe this is a beat-down on Labour from an increasingly worried media/establishment. Worried that the Tories are making such an appalling mess of Brexit (and government in general) and that Corbyn might become PM.

Bearing in mind that the country's 2 biggest papers (Daily Mail & Sun) are extremely right wing, they may have a point... I believe that some of the most vociferous Jewish critics of Labour also happen to be Tory Donors.

On the other hand, there does seem to be serious conflict between the moderate wing of the party & the current leadership. They really should be miles ahead in the polls right now. Pretty depressing.

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #39
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
A lot of folks believe this is a beat-down on Labour from an increasingly worried media/establishment. Worried that the Tories are making such an appalling mess of Brexit (and government in general) and that Corbyn might become PM.

Bearing in mind that the country's 2 biggest papers (Daily Mail & Sun) are extremely right wing, they may have a point... I believe that some of the most vociferous Jewish critics of Labour also happen to be Tory Donors.

On the other hand, there does seem to be serious conflict between the moderate wing of the party & the current leadership. They really should be miles ahead in the polls right now. Pretty depressing.

Appreciate your thoughts. No doubt there are plenty of people making hay over the issue, for sure. Corbyn does seem to be his own worst enemy quite often though....that whole "not understanding English irony" comment was pretty unfortunate I thought. Same with the dithering about the adoption of the IHRA antisemitism definition - seemed such an odd issue to take a controversial stance on when I doubt the average voter could give a toss about it. And meanwhile, as you pointed out, May and co are busy stuffing up Brexit.

There's been a lot of talk of a Labour split, so will be interesting to see whether anything comes of that. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some Labour moderates who'll just continue to pick away at Corbyn from the sidelines, while hoping to hell he gets beaten at the next election.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #40
roscoe

roscoe has a spectacular aura aboutroscoe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Appreciate your thoughts. No doubt there are plenty of people making hay over the issue, for sure. Corbyn does seem to be his own worst enemy quite often though....that whole "not understanding English irony" comment was pretty unfortunate I thought. Same with the dithering about the adoption of the IHRA antisemitism definition - seemed such an odd issue to take a controversial stance on when I doubt the average voter could give a toss about it. And meanwhile, as you pointed out, May and co are busy stuffing up Brexit.

There's been a lot of talk of a Labour split, so will be interesting to see whether anything comes of that. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some Labour moderates who'll just continue to pick away at Corbyn from the sidelines, while hoping to hell he gets beaten at the next election.
Yeah, they're definitely shooting themselves in the foot on a regular basis. I don't think Corbyn is anti-Semitic but there do seem to be elements among his supporters who hold some pretty dubious views.

That being said, the Islamophobia problem within the Tory Party doesn't seem to be getting the same coverage in the press, despite being flagged up by Tory peer Baroness Warsi. Not to mention Boris's recent provocation (burqas=mail boxes & bank robbers, suicide vests etc).

The political landscape is so messed up right now that Labour and the Tories seem to be in a state of paralysis. I don't think either party has a reasonable/workable solution to the Brexit situation and, even if they did, they're too scared to present it for fear of being crucified in the press or at the ballot box.

I just find it amazing that Theresa May has admitted that they're beginning to stockpile food & medicine and yet the main story continues to be whether the leader of the opposition doesn't like Jews. There should be an angry mob outside Downing Street right now demanding the government sorts this shit out right now or resigns. Weird times...

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
jeremy corbyn, labour party, uk politics