TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

2019 Album Trilogy

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #101
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2019 Album Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
sigh. more of the same. another prisoner sounding track. disappointed.
Bummer.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #102
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
Didn’t look through the whole thread but here’s the song “Boylestown Girl”, which was only played on a station near Boylestown, PA.

https://instaud.io/39CO?fbclid=IwAR1...hQ_7z8nZ7bWgKQ
doylestown
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #103
wheelhousetunes

wheelhousetunes will become famous soon enough

Meh
wheelhousetunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #104
Shadowlands96

Shadowlands96 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dig the song. It's not awe-inspiring, but it's good.
Shadowlands96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #105
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I like it. Not ground breaking or anything, but a nice track. Looking forward to more.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #106
baptizedpotato

baptizedpotato has a spectacular aura aboutbaptizedpotato has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
sigh. more of the same. another prisoner sounding track. disappointed.
to be honest, i doubt he's gonna drastically change his sound at this point anymore. he's had it since the S/T and it's sort of his 'pax-am' sound. i don't mind it, as long as the songwriting is good (like most of Prisoner some of the b-sides). this one feels like it would be one of the more forgettable ones from those.
baptizedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #107
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptizedpotato View Post
to be honest, i doubt he's gonna drastically change his sound at this point anymore. he's had it since the S/T and it's sort of his 'pax-am' sound. i don't mind it, as long as the songwriting is good (like most of Prisoner some of the b-sides). this one feels like it would be one of the more forgettable ones from those.
I wonder if the songs from these 3(?) albums are all from the same recording sessions and instead of having to be limited to a certain amount on an album are just being spread out over 3. Unless he releases blackhole or something.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #108
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 can only hope to improve

gave it another listen, still as underwhelmed as I when i first heard it. Just sounds like an extension of prisoner.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #109
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
gave it another listen, still as underwhelmed as I when i first heard it. Just sounds like an extension of prisoner.
I'm okay with that. Loved that album.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #110
de4d5y

de4d5y is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought the song was alright, I think I'm just tired of the Prisoner sound by now. I miss the days when you never knew what the next album was going to sound like.
de4d5y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #111
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptizedpotato View Post
I don't know. The guy is in his mid 40's? Assuming he can stay healthy he probably has 20+ more years of making music? To say you'd doubt he'll change his sound anymore seems like a stretch.

While prisoner & s/t has a similar feel overall, there's still a variety of sounds. Can you really compare Wrecking Ball to Anything I Say To You Now? Or from the 7" Jacksonville and I Lost My Fucking Mind? There's a fair bit of variety especially when you dig into the B-sides of Prisoner.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #112
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

I agree that the sound of the drums is something that hasn't been right to me on the last few efforts.

I wish he could find himself a badass drummer again.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #113
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a Prisoner outtake, boring.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #114
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I don't know. The guy is in his mid 40's? Assuming he can stay healthy he probably has 20+ more years of making music? To say you'd doubt he'll change his sound anymore seems like a stretch.

While prisoner & s/t has a similar feel overall, there's still a variety of sounds. Can you really compare Wrecking Ball to Anything I Say To You Now? Or from the 7" Jacksonville and I Lost My Fucking Mind? There's a fair bit of variety especially when you dig into the B-sides of Prisoner.
I agree, this is probably what it's going to be moving forward. I'm actually okay with him kind of just picking a sound and sticking to it. He could pump out forty years of Cold Roses type stuff and I'd be fine with it. Or JCN. Or Love is Hell. Sadly, it's more an issue because his current sound is probably my least favorite of any he's ever had.

It's kind of folky, but also sort of poppy and overproduced. Sounds very glossy and sanitized without being progressive in any way. Very dad-rock and radio friendly.

I loved Prisoner. LOVED it. But it was largely because the songwriting was, in my mind, especially strong on that record. It worked in spite of the production rather than because of it. He also did some neat things on certain songs to achieve a sort of dreamy vibe, which fit well with the material. This new song has the worst parts of the Prisoner sound, without the strong writing or more ambitious quirks.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #115
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
I thought I remembered reading somewhere on the forum that she is from Doylestown too right (maybe when some of the tracks were posted this summer)? So the first single is her song I’m guessing. Gonna check it out now, haven’t had a chance to listen yet.
Lincoln got shot
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #116
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

this ^
Old 01-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #117
Durk

Quote:
I agree that the sound of the drums is something that hasn't been right to me on the last few efforts.

I wish he could find himself a badass drummer again.
totally disagree there. johnny T is an excellent studio dummer. years later i'm still picking up the subtleties of Prisoner tracks and b-sides
as for live- the drummer he has on tap now- brendan mccusker from lasera- is awesome. RIP the drum tech guy. guess he didn't work out- tho he filled in quite nicely that last tour
Old 01-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #118
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

I should clarify, because you're not wrong.

I like Johnny T. I don't like the mix of the drums on the last few efforts. And the live drummers have been only mediocre for me. I saw the drum tech guy, the guy from the shining, and wasn't nate lotz in there for a minute? None really captured me.

I just miss Brad
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #119
SweetBlackMagic
People seem to hate me...

SweetBlackMagic is on a distinguished road

I like the song...it's not an instant classic or anything, but I keep remembering that Ryan (or his label) hasn't been able to pick out lead singles for shit IN YEARS. So hopefully that's the case here...there are 14 other tracks on the album, and I still believe that he's hit his stride with the sound he's been wanting.

The fact that other producers are involved this time is another reason to have hope...he's not just locked inside his own head like Prisoner, 1989, and ST.
SweetBlackMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #120
Durk

Quote:
I should clarify, because you're not wrong.

I like Johnny T. I don't like the mix of the drums on the last few efforts. And the live drummers have been only mediocre for me. I saw the drum tech guy, the guy from the shining, and wasn't nate lotz in there for a minute? None really captured me.

I just miss Brad
i think Brad was the best drummer he's ever had. don't disagree there.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #121
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

brad was the best country/rock drummer he ever had, johnny the best “beat the fuck out of the drums” guy...johnny killed it on rock n roll, brad tho...just a pro’s pro.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #122
Knotnow

Knotnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
Lincoln got shot
I don’t get it...
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #123
millaa

millaa will become famous soon enough

As a first single from an album, it's underwhelming. The production isn't great, similar to his last 3 or 4 albums. There's no life to it and doesn't make crave for the album.

Crossed fingers album 3 is the black hole...
millaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #124
Knotnow

Knotnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by millaa View Post
As a first single from an album, it's underwhelming. The production isn't great, similar to his last 3 or 4 albums. There's no life to it and doesn't make crave for the album.

Crossed fingers album 3 is the black hole...
Just the fact that they’ve announced the first two and not the third is making me think there’s a chance and they are trying to keep the suspense. Then again, maybe it’s just that he’s still working on the third.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #125
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBlackMagic View Post
I like the song...it's not an instant classic or anything, but I keep remembering that Ryan (or his label) hasn't been able to pick out lead singles for shit IN YEARS. So hopefully that's the case here...there are 14 other tracks on the album, and I still believe that he's hit his stride with the sound he's been wanting.

The fact that other producers are involved this time is another reason to have hope...he's not just locked inside his own head like Prisoner, 1989, and ST.
Yep. His lead singles have been crap. And generally don't showcase the album. Do You Still Love Me? When I heard that I was afraid Prisoner would be trash. That song sounds nothing like the rest of the album. I burned a copy that excludes that song.