TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 PM   #251
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Your favorite singer/songwriter is a Perv:The Thread

I thought his apology sounded okay.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:31 PM   #252
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough
Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
@BestCoast

5 hours ago

The saddest part about the NYT article on Ryan Adams is that it could literally be written about so many dudes in music. Also my favorite type of male apology is the kind where they literally don’t apologize at all lol
Yawn.

"Male apology."

Ryan apologized and didn't really make excuses. You might not believe it or like the way it was written, but he very clearly said he was unequivocally sorry. I've seen far more self-serving apologies.

Someone should release an apology template since they have to be phrased a particular way to be valid. I'm of the opinion that it's not even worth trying, even if well intentioned, since any attempt to apologize just brings on a new wave of criticism on the basis of the apology.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #253
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

And Best Coast Me Too's the Wavves guy in 3,2,1....
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #254
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

I kind of feel like this apology was crafted by his team. It’s also listed word for word as an “official statement”he gave to certain magazines on their articles about this now. Guessing they told him to post that and nothing more. I feel like the most telling thing though, is that his lawyers response to the underage girls accusations is that he doesn’t “recall” those interactions...not that he adamantly denies it.

What a disappointment. Like others said, most of the story isn’t new news to us, but the underage thing is really messed up. I do wonder how this will play out over the next few days.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #255
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Who the fuck is Best Coast?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #256
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
aka beth costantino

the author of the tweet i posted

sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #257
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
@BestCoast

5 hours ago

The saddest part about the NYT article on Ryan Adams is that it could literally be written about so many dudes in music. Also my favorite type of male apology is the kind where they literally don’t apologize at all lol
This is an interesting way to let Ryan off the hook ("all guys do it") while attacking the whole male population ("my favorite type of male apology").
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #258
SonofabitchVanOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
I kind of feel like this apology was crafted by his team. It’s also listed word for word as an “official statement”he gave to certain magazines on their articles about this now. Guessing they told him to post that and nothing more. I feel like the most telling thing though, is that his lawyers response to the underage girls accusations is that he doesn’t “recall” those interactions...not that he adamantly denies it.

What a disappointment. Like others said, most of the story isn’t new news to us, but the underage thing is really messed up. I do wonder how this will play out over the next few days.
I mean, they have texts, so I'm assuming he knows he's fucked there.

What he should do is release a statement basically stating that he has been dealing with personal problems for over two decades and has never truly gotten them under control. He deluded himself into thinking that he was in control of his own behavior and able to act responsibly, but was lying to himself. In light of these accusations, he has been forced to take a holistic, honest look back at his behavior and sees how objectively horrible he has been to those people around him and, in particular, women who trusted and cared for him. He feels awful and wishes he could take it back, but will just offer his deepest apologies and promises that he will finally take the true steps necessary to make sure he never treats anyone else similarly. Say he's canceling the tour and his record and going away to get help and will only reappear in public when he can conduct himself in a way that is respectful of those around him and can serve as an example for others. Reiterate how deeply sorry he truly is.

End. Disappear for a year. Go do the goat thing now. Get counseling and meds. If you ever want to make music again, do it on your farm and stay completely disconnected from a culture you're obviously not equipped to handle responsibly.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #259
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

She's not letting him off the hook. Shes saying its an example of a larger music industry problem.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #260
Knotnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I actually dig their song “Feeling Ok”
Old 02-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #261
Knotnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
She's not letting him off the hook. Shes saying its an example of a larger music industry problem.

That’s how I took it too.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #262
Teenie Smith-Macbeth

Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post

What he should do is release a statement basically stating that he has been dealing with personal problems for over two decades and has never truly gotten them under control. He deluded himself into thinking that he was in control of his own behavior and able to act responsibly, but was lying to himself. In light of these accusations, he has been forced to take a holistic, honest look back at his behavior and sees how objectively horrible he has been to those people around him and, in particular, women who trusted and cared for him. He feels awful and wishes he could take it back, but will just offer his deepest apologies and promises that he will finally take the true steps necessary to make sure he never treats anyone else similarly. Say he's canceling the tour and his record and going away to get help and will only reappear in public when he can conduct himself in a way that is respectful of those around him and can serve as an example for others. Reiterate how deeply sorry he truly is.

End. Disappear for a year. Go do the goat thing now. Get counseling and meds. If you ever want to make music again, do it on your farm and stay completely disconnected from a culture you're obviously not equipped to handle responsibly.
Counterpoint: He should tour
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #263
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
She gives no evidence that it's a larger music industry problem; it IS letting him off the hook if he's just one of nameless thousands who text dick pics to 15 year old girls... how could one single out one musician if everybody is doing it? (Literally the same argument is made by Barry Bonds fans to try and get him in the hall of fame.)

Look, there's no doubt that all sorts of bad stuff has gone on in the music business (trying to imagine something somebody in Van Halen didn't do and I'm coming up blank)... but on the other hand it is not everyday business, especially in the 21st century.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #264
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

@julianahatfield

i imagine that a lot of rock star guys are scared right now
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #265
SonofabitchVanOwen

Him touring is an absolutely awful idea. He couldn't hold it together during the last tour. On this one, he's going to be dealing with people yelling shit and - depending on the legs this has - articles when he plays in each city. He will go insane.

He needs to go away. I don't say that in the "canceled" way, I say that as it pertains to his own well-being. If I were his friend, I would tell him to go hide somewhere for two years and focus on nothing but mental health treatment, physical fitness and general recovery.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #266
sleigher

How Much Legal Trouble Is Ryan Adams In? A Law Professor Comments

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...ct-1203139481/
Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #267
Knotnow

Quote:
Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. Just the NYT saying they have texts is one thing (although I’m sure they would vet the validity pretty well to avoid the chance of being sued) but the way his lawyer worded his response makes it obvious those texts are most likely legit.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 AM   #268
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
Counterpoint: He should tour
It is a music business. Funding an international tour that will sell less tickets than expected (sell out$) and marketing/releasing an album (unless we've passed the point of no return) less people will buy isn't good for business, where returns on investment are expected.

In the end, I think the tours are canceled, but the album gets released.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #269
andyo812

andyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to all

may or may not be an indicator but I noticed Todd no longer has ‘ RYAN ADAMS’ in his IG bio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #270
SonofabitchVanOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
may or may not be an indicator but I noticed Todd no longer has ‘ RYAN ADAMS’ in his IG bio.

People are going to distance themselves from him as fast as possible. This is how things work now. You have to demonstrate that you are so righteous that you can't possibly interact with someone like this or else you too are a piece of shit.

I would hope that behind the scenes some people treat him like a human being, regardless of the fact that no one should approve of his behavior. I hope they urge him to recognize how messed up he is and get help.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #271
andyo812

andyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to all

i was referring to Todd in relation to the tour discussion, nothing else.

andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 AM   #272
Teenie Smith-Macbeth

Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Him touring is an absolutely awful idea. He couldn't hold it together during the last tour. On this one, he's going to be dealing with people yelling shit and - depending on the legs this has - articles when he plays in each city. He will go insane.

He needs to go away. I don't say that in the "canceled" way, I say that as it pertains to his own well-being. If I were his friend, I would tell him to go hide somewhere for two years and focus on nothing but mental health treatment, physical fitness and general recovery.
You’ll have to remind me of him not holding it together last tour.
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #273
SweetheartRevolutionist

SweetheartRevolutionist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
You’ll have to remind me of him not holding it together last tour.
I thought he was fine on the last tour. The last days of the Shining were horrible, but was a dark time musically.

CW is that you?
SweetheartRevolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 AM   #274
makemasa

makemasa is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember saying when me too started that it was going to end with Jimmy Page and Robert Planet in jail for the mudshark incident. Hammer of the Gods.

I guarantee it's not as simple as him knowingly sending a picture to someone who is 14. Let the story unfold.

And fuck Carl Newman for piling on. Irrelevance is probably a tough pill but bitchy gossip shows more about your character than the one you are assassinating.

Last edited by makemasa; 02-14-2019 at 01:38 AM..
makemasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 AM   #275
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

* Opens the vault. Puts in Big Colors, Wednesdays and the third record. Throws away the key. *

He’s Done. No way Capitol is gonna release these. It was a hell of a ride since 2004 for me, but I guess this is it.