TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #3176
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold
Re: Movie Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
The wife and I went to see Annihilation this weekend. What a hell of a movie. I love the source material and though this was a great loose adaptation. My wife went in not know anything about it and she was blown away by the end. Just a beautiful mind trip of a movie. Unlike anything being made at this time. Very inspired by Tarkovsky. I was tempted to place this in the horror thread because it also falls into that category. Anyone else see it?
glad you liked it ....someone i know said he walked out....

but i am trusting his judgment at this point.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #3177
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
glad you liked it ....someone i know said he walked out....

but i am trusting his judgment at this point.
He must have the attention span of a 2 year old.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #3178
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The wife and I went to see Annihilation this weekend. What a hell of a movie. I love the source material and though this was a great loose adaptation. My wife went in not know anything about it and she was blown away by the end. Just a beautiful mind trip of a movie. Unlike anything being made at this time. Very inspired by Tarkovsky. I was tempted to place this in the horror thread because it also falls into that category. Anyone else see it?
Finally got my lady to sit down and watch this with me last night, after hanging to watch it ever since it was announced. The Southern Reach trilogy really did a number on me, Annihilation especially, but, unfortunately, the film failed to live up to my expectations. I only learned very late in the game that it was to be a loose adaptation of the book (something I am, now, grateful for - the whole time this was in development, I was wondering how the fuck they were going to translate this crazy story into a film), but I just could not get into this. It just felt like a hodgepodge/rearrangement of things that happened/didn't happen in the book, with no real narrative flow. I won't go into my thoughts on everything, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but yeah. Acting from Portman and Issac was good, but still, I was underwhelmed. Keen to hear everyone else's views on this, though, as I'm sure people will be watching/talking (it's the Netflix thing).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #3179
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Bummer.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #3180
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Armando Iannucci proves yet again that he's the absolute master of political satire with The Death of Stalin. If you enjoyed In The Loop, then get thee to your nearest cinema pronto.

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #3181
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Armando Iannucci proves yet again that he's the absolute master of political satire with The Death of Stalin. If you enjoyed In The Loop, then get thee to your nearest cinema pronto.

this is very high on my list of movies to watch

almost broke my stomach watching in the loop - so damn funny!
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #3182
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
this is very high on my list of movies to watch

almost broke my stomach watching in the loop - so damn funny!
The new one is probably not as consistently laugh out loud funny as In The Loop, but I suspect that's because he is dealing with monsters and death/torture on a far more immense scale. The humour is blacker here, but there are still plenty of laughs and the usual brilliant dialogue. Cast is fantastic too. Never pictured Buscemi playing someone like Khrushchev, but he's superb.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #3183
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
He must have the attention span of a 2 year old.
it was just okay for me.

nothing mind bending or awesome

i liked it though and would recommend for sci fi lovers.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #3184
roscoe

roscoe is just really niceroscoe is just really nice

Not much of a Wes Anderson fan but watched Grand Budapest Hotel last night. Pretty damn good. Ralph Fiennes was hilarious.

Went old-school coupla days ago with Dial M For Murder. Nice.

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #3185
JackStark211

Grand Budapest is great.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #3186
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a film that makes me laugh at different things every time I watch it.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #3187
JackStark211

Old 05-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #3188
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Breath is an elegant, understated new Aussie film worth checking out if it heads your way. Directed and starring Simon Baker (the guy from The Mentalist), it's a really atmospheric adaptation of the Tim Winton novel. Gorgeous camera work, and the surfing scenes are mesmerizing.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #3189
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Breath is an elegant, understated new Aussie film worth checking out if it heads your way. Directed and starring Simon Baker (the guy from The Mentalist), it's a really atmospheric adaptation of the Tim Winton novel. Gorgeous camera work, and the surfing scenes are mesmerizing.

terrific! watched an interview with baker last week that piqued my interest for sure
Old 05-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #3190
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Thanks for posting, that was a very interesting interview. I hope Baker directs again - he has a subtle, almost delicate approach that I thought worked well.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #3191
sleigher

anyone have a favorite charles bronson movie they wanna suggest?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #3192
thebalvenie

Quote:
once upon a time in the west
Old 07-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #3193
shamooth

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
the dirty dozen
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #3194
shamooth

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

deathwish.
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #3195
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
deathwish.
almost said that...too obvious
Old 07-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #3196
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
There's so many greats. I'll list 10 of my favourites in no order.

Farewell, Friend (a.k.a. Honor Among Thieves)
Breakheart Pass
Death Wish
Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects
Mr. Majestyk
Once Upon a Time in the West
Rider on the Rain
The Mechanic
Hard Times
Old 07-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #3197
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
once upon a time in the west
Quote:
the dirty dozen
Quote:
deathwish.
all great suggestions!

saw once upon a time in the west late last yr when turner classic movies was having a henry fonda film marathon - bronson was very impressive in that - its what got me interested in seeing more of his movies

i watched the dirty dozen a few days ago - really good! cassavetes sort of stole that movie - his character was one of a kind!

death wish was much better than i had ever anticipated - i decided to watch it once the awful eli roth/bruce willis remake was released - really captured the gritty nyc of yore and seeing a young jeff goldblum as a creepy thug was interesting
Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #3198
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
There's so many greats. I'll list 10 of my favourites in no order.

Farewell, Friend (a.k.a. Honor Among Thieves)
Breakheart Pass*
Death Wish*
Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects
Mr. Majestyk*
Once Upon a Time in the West*
Rider on the Rain*
The Mechanic*
Hard Times*
this is a really great list!

i just finished watching breakheart pass - so many great character actors in that one

the idea of basing a film around a melon farmer was really bizarre but i genuinely enjoyed mister majestyk

rider on the rain was pretty damn creepy - never realized it influenced the doors song riders on the storm

the mechanic was pretty wild - the suicide scene was totally out of left field

hard times is an all time classic - walter hill and charles bronson=cinema gold
Old 09-01-2018, 05:31 AM   #3199
ToddMcCracken

ToddMcCracken is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm disturbed that I've seen most of the films on that list. For my money, Martyrs should have been higher, Salo and Visitor Q are both unwatchable, Man Bites Dog and Funny Games are fantastic. The most favorite legal anabolic steroids is phenq https://phenq-avis.com/en/ best bulking steroids for disturbing film on the list for me is Happiness, which doesn't have an ounce of gore or blood in it.

I refuse to watch either The Human Centipede or any of the Guinea Pig films, which basically cater to people who get off pretending they are watching a snuff movie.
You're right about Salo and Visitor Q, and yes, I too found Funny Games interesting. I've missed some from the list, can't decide whether to see them once and judge or not.

Last edited by ToddMcCracken; 04-09-2019 at 04:56 PM..
ToddMcCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #3200
sleigher

rockwell as dubya - cant wait!
Sponsored Links