TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2014 Albums Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Taylor Swift - 1989 (10/27)

Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold
Re: Taylor Swift - 1989 (10/27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
There is no irony coming from me in this thread. This is legit
Good. I had to double check.
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #27
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, the video for Blank Space is "a sort of dystopian feminist fairy tale". And Taylor Swift is the most brilliant satirist since her great-great granddad Jonathan. Or something like that.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...women&ir=Women
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #28
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

The tags here...
Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #29
Wayfaringmind
Sketchy

Wayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to behold

I must be a creepy old guy - cause I love TSwift. This album is awesome.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #30
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

agreed!
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #31
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with liking pop music.

It's the new enlightened music fan state of mind. The Us v Them POV is so antiquated.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #32
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

That's fair... old habits are hard to break... I come from older mentality where there was little to no exposure for the music I felt was most important. That's less true now. The big stars aren't as ubiquitous and there's many more and much more visible ways to promote independent artists.

Though I draw the line when a pop star's tabloid presence is more substantial than their musical successes. I think TSwift has definitely held up, though I don't know much of her music.

The Biebers are a joke, obviously. The Avrils (or even the Blink 182s) using "Hot Topic" counterculture to sell their mainstream shit will always rub me the wrong way. It co-opts and devalues one form of legitimate culture. Some of the originators of some great genres get written out of history under these circumstances. That's when I get pissy about some pop artists.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #33
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
That's fair... old habits are hard to break... I come from older mentality where there was little to no exposure for the music I felt was most important. That's less true now. The big stars aren't as ubiquitous and there's many more and much more visible ways to promote independent artists.

Though I draw the line when a pop star's tabloid presence is more substantial than their musical successes. I think TSwift has definitely held up, though I don't know much of her music.

The Biebers are a joke, obviously. The Avrils (or even the Blink 182s) using "Hot Topic" counterculture to sell their mainstream shit will always rub me the wrong way. It co-opts and devalues one form of legitimate culture. Some of the originators of some great genres get written out of history under these circumstances. That's when I get pissy about some pop artists.

Well said.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #34
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give Blink a pass. They almost got co-opted. Or it was more natural that the people buying their records happened to be the market for that store. I mean, they definitely did their own thing when they started getting big and didn't take their cues from anyone.

They made whole videos just mocking EVERYONE.

Now, the stuff that came after them (Avril, Good Charlotte, etc) was a bunch of crap and the music wasn't even good.

Blink, at one point, made killer records. Dude Ranch holds up like a motherfucker. Record owns.

But yeah, I've gotten out of that mindset. Like being 13 in 1999 and hating MTV and only liking punk rock and then a year later, The Strokes. that mindset made sense then, holding onto it now is dumb.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #35
JackStark211

I like old Blink. I grew up on that stuff. Everything after Enema of the State kind of sucked. Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat rock my nuts off.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #36
JackStark211

Didn't you guys love when an artist was titled a "sell out". When JEW released Bleed American I heard that said about them so many times. The album was made on their own dime. That term always pissed me off. It was usually hipsters & posers throwing it around. Or dudes pissed because their shit music wasn't going anywhere.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #37
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I saw blink open for Less than Jake in 1996 (7?). Good times. But I never cared for them.

Pop music has really only gotten great in the past 3-4 years. Pop music seems to have caught up with the underground.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #38
JackStark211

Quote:
I saw blink open for Less than Jake in 1996 (7?). Good times. But I never cared for them.

Pop music has really only gotten great in the past 3-4 years. Pop music seems to have caught up with the underground.

I disagree. In my opinion it has gotten worse. I think it is your taste that has changed. And I see nothing wrong with that because that is also my opinion.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #39
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I disagree. In my opinion it has gotten worse. I think it is your taste that has changed. And I see nothing wrong with that because that is also my opinion.
Tough call... there are aspects of the production, chord progressions, hooks, and heavier dance beat sensibility that is pumpin' in way not done before. Are Swift, Perry, Beyonce, or Cyrus, tunes better than what Madonna was doing? Better than Britney Spears? Not sure.

Then there's the need for celebrity culture to surround them.... all the Miley bullshit, the weird exorcist Nikki Manaj spectacle at some dumb awards show. I'm lumping all these together, but many seem to need to generate some sort of manufactured "controversy" to keep their music visible and relevant. I don't appreciate that.

I'm curious if TSwift's RED is still everyone's "jam" or if it's lost its luster after it's initial impact. Or if anyone still loves Katy Perry's Hot and Cold. If not and it's disposable, that's not necessarily a bad thing... it's a part of pop art and music's nature. I think there's Madonna songs that still hold up... better than they did then. I'm not a fan of her either, but I suppose that's one criteria item for saying pop is better or worse than before.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #40
GoodSkanky

I mean... but look at these fucking guys. They look like the worst frat boys you ever met, only with strategically placed rings and tattoos. Doesn't make them a bad band necessarily. Still...

I always hated Stone Temple Pilots too... for completely superficial reasons. Those dildos were probably Sunset Strip metalheads or faceless studio mercenaries. Add a couple of dave grohl fills, pretentious lyrics, and heroin rumors and you're ready for grunge stardom.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #41
JackStark211

Hahaha.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #42
Tim Simmons

I think the celebrity culture of pop stardom taints people's perspective of the artists and the music. I don't really pay attention to that stuff, so it's basically about the tunes and albums to me.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #43
Tim Simmons

Also, think about the difficulty in crafting a pop song. All the credit to RA and Isbell and whoever. They put in a ton of work for their craft. But I have no doubt as much, if not more, work goes into crafting Shake It Off or Roar.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #44
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Also, think about the difficulty in crafting a pop song. All the credit to RA and Isbell and whoever. They put in a ton of work for their craft. But I have no doubt as much, if not more, work goes into crafting Shake It Off or Roar.
It's different art form from a writing prospective too. For an RA album... it's his songs general sound. The production and musicians complete his process but it's a singular sound and vision.

The producers and engineers role in crafting a single is far more substantial. I've seen engineer's computer workstations were they've got three (of 48 or so) tracks of a tune to process compress and re-add it to the texture as deemed by producer. The singer is the name you recognize, but the real writing and art happens at different level.
Sponsored Links