TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Electric Guitar Player Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #101
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Electric Guitar Player Thread

Standard Boss tuner.
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Germanium4: This thing slays. One side is pretty much a regular Big Muff, the other side is an overdrive that you can cascade the Muff side into. Crunchy feedback Neil Young heaven. The Muff side has a voltage control to simulate a dying battery and give it a real cool sound. Think early-ish White Stripes. Ball & Biscuit.

The overdrive is great to drive the front end of my Marshall into AC/DC territory, or to make the next pedal in the chain freak the fuck out...

ProCo RAT: I scored it for free at a gig once in 2004 because it got left and nobody at the venue wanted it. I dated the serial number and it's a 1987 with the sought after and coveted Texas Instruments LM308 chip that makes the gain. Same chip as in the original Tube Screamers. This is the same vintage of pedal Dave Grohl used on the first two Foo Fighters records. Exhausted? Check. Hey, Johnny Park? Check. Everlong? Check.

And then when I feed the overdrive of the EH pedal into it? Shit gets loud and awesome.

Turn on all 3? Dinosaur Jr sustainfuzz heaven.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #102
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

That's the shit, wok. I have the standard Big Muff but I don't use it a heck of a lot in my current band so it's not on the board (I took it off when I got the Fuzz Factory, which is my go-to for when I want shit to get crazy, can get a pretty good Neil Young style fuzz tone from it and it's also great for end-of-set style knob-turning madness, lots of squelches and stuff).

You saying about the dying-battery thing reminded me that the Voodoo Labs power supply that I got has a feature where for each power outage there is a control for voltage for that same thing, I completely forgot about it and need to try it out to see how good it sounds.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #103
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone play baritone guitars? I was listening to the Evens albums and wonder about those.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #104
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Stopped in Memphis while road tripping home from Texas. Got to play a bunch of Gibsons at their factory store. Big fun. I thought I'd be SG all the way, but one strat, I played felt amazing. I was also stoked to play an explorer, but it's kind of a pain while sitting. Great trip.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #105
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I bought this yesterday - a local shop was clearing all of their Danelectro stock so it was half price. I've been wanting a bass just for mucking around at home and for putting bass parts on my home demos, so this does the trick nicely. Sounds pretty good.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #106
GoodSkanky

Nice...

Just got this... a small watt Orange Micro Terror Head. I still need the cabinet. The tone seems really good w/o the gain... but gets noisy with it. Just heard it through headphones so far.

Hope to try it out on some cabinets this week.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #107
lukin
I'm talking ace

I was looking at one of those on the weekend and wondering how it sounded.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #108
GoodSkanky

I'm enjoying the tone thus far, but need to get it through a speaker. Needs a few pedals too. The sound is very good, but could use some wettening up.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #109
Marty

Marty has a spectacular aura aboutMarty has a spectacular aura about

Question for ya's

My amp (Peavey Classic 30) sounds great when turned up loud but since i'm in an apartment, I don't have the opportunity to play it loud very often and turning the volume down on the guitar just kills the tone.

Any ideas? Is there any type of pedal that could reduce the volume without sacrificing the tone from my amp?
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #110
lukin
I'm talking ace

Just piss off your neighbours. That's the only advice I have I'm sorry.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #111
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

I want a telecaster
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #112
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bizness View Post
I want a telecaster
Get one. They're the best.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #113
GoodSkanky

I'm loving my Deluxe, thus far. Do you miss not having humbuckers at all?

Mine aren't true Tele pickups... wide range... single coil-ish tones, but w/o buzz. They can actually be converted to humbuckers.

I'm dying to try or acquire an aluminum neck guitar.... Travis Bean (In my dreams), vintage Kramer, and especially Electrical Guitar Company.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #114
GoodSkanky

OK, now have the Micro Terror and little cab... I like the tone, it's dry of course, but warm. I put my line 6 into it for effects, with the cab modeller off there's some nice sounds. THEN, I put my old Alesis Quadraverb GT. The distorted sounds are just OK, but the wet clean sounds are pretty dreamy.

I've been stalking ebay and Craigslist and have had a couple of close calls on aluminum neck Kramers, nothing 80s hair metally. The 78-80 Travis Bean off shoots. Hopefully sometime this year.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #115
GoodSkanky

Spoiler:

I'm crazy coveting one of these old Kramers. I should really try one out first, but I'm seriously thinking about getting in on one. They're much less expensive than the Travis Beans and EGC's.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #116
GoodSkanky

SONOFABITCH!!!!

I just lost an ebay auction by $1 in one second for an aluminum neck Kramer DMZ 2000.

DICKTIT....

It will be mine...
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #117
GoodSkanky

It is mine... all mine!!! Kramer DMZ 2000

This thing sustains like nobody's business!!! Aluminum neck. Very heavy, but I love it. Can't wait to get it home and crank it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #118
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Looks excellent! good for you!
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #119
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone ever use a distortion pedal on an acoustic?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #120
GoodSkanky

It can be done... probably a fair bit of feedback. The Cell Phones (chicago) use a distorted acoustic bass guitar and it's very noisy!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #121
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

I've done it. It sounds weird because of the way a pickup on an acoustic works. it works on vibration and not magnetics.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #122
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I'm thinking about getting a pedal for my acoustics.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #123
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a pedal for my acoustics.
I'm actually using a Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal on my electric.... nice for strumming, but it's a glorified EQ pedal
Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #124
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Anyone ever use a distortion pedal on an acoustic?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #125
JackStark211

Good point Lukin.