TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #126
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Hope the Cassette art of PI is represented in the box.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #127
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Lukin, FYI, the DL of the tape is only if you buy from SP.com

Well, not ONLY, bu you know what I mean.
Meh, won't be hard to get anyway.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #128
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

If only I had a spare 7500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smashing-Pum...ht_6222wt_1092
Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #129
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather have Live After Deaf
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #130
lukin
I'm talking ace

Yeah, me too.

I got the pink Tristessa 7" off ebay today. $30, decent price.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #131
Tim Simmons

Luke, you get the mp3s of the demo tape yet?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #132
Tim Simmons

PI reissue is so great. Probably my favorite so far.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #133
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I need to get this.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #134
Tim Simmons

That place I told you about has it
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #135
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I'm getting it now. Listened to some clips and I can't wait.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #136
JackStark211

Listening. I am now even more confused about the extras on the other 2 reissues...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #137
Tim Simmons

Its a weird logic in terms of which tracks went where.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #138
JackStark211

THis is my favorite as well.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #139
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Luke, you get the mp3s of the demo tape yet?
No not yet. I'll have a look this weekend. Just picked up the set from the store today. Apparently they only brought 25 copies of the deluxe set into New Zealand. It was the same with the Gish and SD ones, it was a real mission for me to find them. At least the price was good - cheaper than it would have been if I got it off Amazon, even without the shipping. They really are doing such a great job with these. Haven't listened to/watched any of it yet, will do tonight.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #140
lukin
I'm talking ace

Different vocal take on Plume (at least some of it):

0:35 -
Reissue: "I don't care, or give a fuck"
Original: "I don't care to give enough"
0:50 - "it's all done"
Noticeably different
1:03 - "little fun"
Noticeably different again - ends on a different note
2:05 - "gotta play/what a waste"
reissue: lyric sung is "gotta play"
original: lyric sung is "what a waste"
2:30 - "it's all done"
again, it sounds drastically different
2:50 - outro
reissue - there is no vocal present
original - vocal sings "bring me down" a few times

I find this pretty strange, I prefer the original version. Also, the lyrics in the booklet are accurate to the original release, including the "bring me down" part at the end which isn't even on the reissue version at all.

The 2011 Mix from the Gish reissue has the original vocal take.

Weird.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #141
lukin
I'm talking ace

George Lucas'd
Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #142
lukin
I'm talking ace

Actually it seems there are some people pretty angry about this release, it seems that not much care was taken - for example on the second disc, the first 5 seconds of Purr Snickety are at the end of the track before it (French Movie Theme). Which sounds pretty crap if you import it into your iTunes and it misses the start of the song every time you play it. How does something like that slip past quality control?

Apparently there's a glitch in Pissant too (I must have missed it when listening to it) and lots of complaints that the bonus disc (which I haven't listened to yet) has been mastered so loudly that it's clipping pretty bad in places.

EDIT: Pissant seems fine on mine, but I definitely have the French Movie Theme/Purr Snickety problem.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #143
Tim Simmons

I noticed the Purr Snickety problem. Didn't notice Plume. Thats really interesting and kinda cool.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #144
Tim Simmons

But thats probably something that could have been avoided had they not thrown PI tracks on the Gish and SD releases.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #145
Tim Simmons

Billy did say it is tough to find the right takes.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #146
JackStark211

Billy is a strange cat.

Can anyone notice a difference between this version of Starla and the one on Gish?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #147
Tim Simmons

I did a quick A/B. I think it's the same.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #148
JackStark211

So, which tracks are we missing? We never got Honeyspider II or Terrapin? What else?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #149
lukin
I'm talking ace

Bullet Train to Osaka
Not Worth Asking
Daughter
Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #150
JackStark211

peel sessions of smiley?