TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #201
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Yip, I did. Some good stuff in it. The live disc is kick-ass awesome. Still haven't watched the dvd though
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #202
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Nice.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #203
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

How pricy was that?
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #204
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

The CD set is a bit more reasonable than the vinyl Box. Buying both will set you back about $200.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #205
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

That's actually not as horrible as I was expecting.
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #206
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I picked up the MCIS today. Beautiful is about all I can say. I love the notes.

Is the AFH similar package? Is it as thick or thicker that the MCIS?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #207
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I picked up the MCIS today. Beautiful is about all I can say. I love the notes.

Is the AFH similar package? Is it as thick or thicker that the MCIS?
The CD set or the vinyl?

Vinyl I imagine is a bit bigger than MCIS being one more record. The CD set is smaller, it's the same size as the first 3 reissues but fatter because there are more CDs in the box.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #208
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

The AFH vinyl set is thinner despite having 1 more record.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #209
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
The AFH vinyl set is thinner despite having 1 more record.
Even more lame that it costs so much more then. The MCIS set is $58 on Amazon at the moment, TAFH is $155. WTF.

I wanted to get both the CD and vinyl sets of this one, but I just can't afford it sadly.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #210
Tim Simmons

MCIS is so cheap because its a bad pressing and word has gotten around. they need to dump them now.

If you wait until Jan/Feb TAFH will be much cheaper.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #211
JackStark211

I guess I will have to wait.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #212
JackStark211

Quote:
MCIS is so cheap because its a bad pressing and word has gotten around. they need to dump them now.

If you wait until Jan/Feb TAFH will be much cheaper.
BTW, what is wrong with the pressing? I have not had time to give it a listen yet.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #213
Tim Simmons

A thing called Inner Groove Distortion. The long and short of it is, if you cut the grooves too close together due to over loading a side, the closer you get to the center label, the more distorted the sound gets.

While these were cut 3-4 songs a side, they were trying to cut these at a great fidelity, using more space for the grooves. Unfortunately, they were running out of space by Zero and it suffers from IGD.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #214
lukin
I'm talking ace

That sucks. I have the original pressing which is 30 songs over only 3 records and it doesn't seem to have bad IGD.

I'm always surprised that my Pisces LP doesn't sound shit by the end of each side since it's 57 minutes on one record.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #215
Tim Simmons

It's all about the cut. Yeah, they could have easily fit 4 songs on a side. All they needed to do was sacrifice some of the groove space and it would have minimized the distortion.

Some audiophile dogged the dude who cut it and he had a meltdown. Pretty funny actually.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #216
Tim Simmons

Stan Getz is the guy. Mike is the audiophile.

I can only respond to my part in the process:
We are going from 2012 to 2013,and are not stuck in the 80's or 90's.
I want to thank you for bringing to my attention the on-line "Gang Mentality".
It is comforting.
In the words of one of my Rock hero's,getting out of rehab and going on the road again....
"I Walk Alone".
I truly and respectfully appreciate the e mail.
Stan

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Stan, what does this mean?

"We are going from 2012 to 2013,and are not stuck in the 80's or 90's."

I appreciate your response, but am not sure any of it directly answered my query. Amazon.com has stopped carrying the Melon Collie vinyl reissue because of all the returns due to heavy distortion on even the most advanced cartridges during inner groove tracks like ZERO, etc.

I'm a record collector for 25 years, have 4000 LPs, and an audiophile all-analog setup. So please understand my concern is not that of an online "gang mentality", but of quality control for vinyl releases which are so important to music lovers.

Thanks,

Mike

__________________________________________________ ___________________

its like the plague.
I have 30 + years.
I have spent my life to be here now today.
Can I ask a question?? what have you spent youre entire life dream on?
I am blessed to have my name on the dead wax.
I am broke, 2 fucked up marriges and single.
I dont give a shit about amazon.
I cut the re release,and everyone wants to bring me down.
just return it.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I am positive you love doing what you do and many congrats are due to you for following that dream and making a business out of it. That's rare.

I will answer your question to me: My lifelong dream is to be a filmmaker and I am in Los Angeles following that dream. In the last two years I have directed and produced episodes of Tv for both SPIKE TV and HULU.com.

But I also am always interested in bettering my craft and if someone has a valid note for me, I take it into consideration and don't just say "Hey! I'm followin' my dream here! Leave me alone!"

The problems with OCEANIA and MCIS are not based in artistic opinion like "there's a little too much in the high end than what I prefer." It's purely technical: By mastering for vinyl at a loud volume near inner grooves, you are causing playback of everyone's vinyl on 8 songs to distort so bad that they are returning it in favor of not owning it at all for the price.

I did return it, as i have the original pressing which does not have this issue (squeezed onto 3 vinyl, not 4).

Look man...I understand it's shitty to have people bitching at you. Keep doing what you're doing, brother. Just stay away from the inner grooves. The rest sounds beautiful.

Here's to more vinyl for both of us in 2013.

Mike
Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #217
JackStark211

Quote:
Stan Getz is the guy. Mike is the audiophile.

I can only respond to my part in the process:
We are going from 2012 to 2013,and are not stuck in the 80's or 90's.
I want to thank you for bringing to my attention the on-line "Gang Mentality".
It is comforting.
In the words of one of my Rock hero's,getting out of rehab and going on the road again....
"I Walk Alone".
I truly and respectfully appreciate the e mail.
Stan

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Stan, what does this mean?

"We are going from 2012 to 2013,and are not stuck in the 80's or 90's."

I appreciate your response, but am not sure any of it directly answered my query. Amazon.com has stopped carrying the Melon Collie vinyl reissue because of all the returns due to heavy distortion on even the most advanced cartridges during inner groove tracks like ZERO, etc.

I'm a record collector for 25 years, have 4000 LPs, and an audiophile all-analog setup. So please understand my concern is not that of an online "gang mentality", but of quality control for vinyl releases which are so important to music lovers.

Thanks,

Mike

__________________________________________________ ___________________

its like the plague.
I have 30 + years.
I have spent my life to be here now today.
Can I ask a question?? what have you spent youre entire life dream on?
I am blessed to have my name on the dead wax.
I am broke, 2 fucked up marriges and single.
I dont give a shit about amazon.
I cut the re release,and everyone wants to bring me down.
just return it.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I am positive you love doing what you do and many congrats are due to you for following that dream and making a business out of it. That's rare.

I will answer your question to me: My lifelong dream is to be a filmmaker and I am in Los Angeles following that dream. In the last two years I have directed and produced episodes of Tv for both SPIKE TV and HULU.com.

But I also am always interested in bettering my craft and if someone has a valid note for me, I take it into consideration and don't just say "Hey! I'm followin' my dream here! Leave me alone!"

The problems with OCEANIA and MCIS are not based in artistic opinion like "there's a little too much in the high end than what I prefer." It's purely technical: By mastering for vinyl at a loud volume near inner grooves, you are causing playback of everyone's vinyl on 8 songs to distort so bad that they are returning it in favor of not owning it at all for the price.

I did return it, as i have the original pressing which does not have this issue (squeezed onto 3 vinyl, not 4).

Look man...I understand it's shitty to have people bitching at you. Keep doing what you're doing, brother. Just stay away from the inner grooves. The rest sounds beautiful.

Here's to more vinyl for both of us in 2013.

Mike
Haha
Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #218
lukin
I'm talking ace

That bad? Shit, my girlfriend just ordered a copy a few days ago. It won't even be worth returning all the way from New Zealand.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #219
Tim Simmons

From where? The EU press is fine.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #220
lukin
I'm talking ace

Ordered from .com so the US.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #221
lukin
I'm talking ace

http://www.crestfallen.com/2013/09/1...eissue-status/

Quote:
We’ve got some exciting news to share with you about the Adore reissue. This morning, we got an email from Billy Corgan with an attachment of just some of the work that has to be done for the upcoming reissue.
The attachment contained an alphabetical list with a number of songs being worked on for the Adore reissue. A number of unknown tracks such as Bedroom 4, Everybody, Fer Blues, and Heaven are on the list, as well as an apparent cover of Everyday I Die with Matt Walker? and if you look closely you can see a 2nd page with what appears to say “I Want You To Want Me”, a song that has been covered in the past.

The list, of course, has a number of known tracks with alternative titles including a Cash Car Star (Remix), Ava Adore (Puff/Remix), Annie Dog (Garson).
When we asked if we could expect this work to be completed by the end of the year we got an emphatic response of “Not gonna happen!” So until further notice, we can drool over this fantastic information!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #222
JackStark211

Sweet.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #223
JackStark211

Does the Aeroplane have song notes?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #224
lukin
I'm talking ace

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com...2-D31FD627C6F5

Quote:
News out of the SP camp is that tracklisting for the upcoming ‘ADORE’ box set is now complete. The 6-disc set will feature the original album in stereo (as remastered by Bob Ludwig), the album as it was released in mono (here for the first time on CD), plus an additional 3 discs of unreleased material and a live DVD, taken from the band’s charity tour of 1998.

A summer release is expected.

From Billy:

“One thing that might excite fans of the album is that we were able to go back and locate elements from the original sessions that were stored digitally, but never used; such as some of the brilliant work done by Bon Harris. In that fresh mixes have been commissioned, shedding new light on not only the songs hidden foundations, but their futuristic nature as well. “
Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #225
Tim Simmons

Pumped.

This is the last one I really care about. I'll get Machina, but that's when Billy's song writing took a dive.
Sponsored Links