TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2014 Albums Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

U2 - Songs of Innocence (Sept. 9)

Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute
U2 - Songs of Innocence (Sept. 9)

Lots of backlash about this secret album showing up on all iTunes devices...

The tunes aren't great or terrible. All You Can't Leave Behind was the beginning of the end though... haven't dug anything since.

What's your take on this? Do they suck? Do you feel weird getting an album in your phone you didn't ask for?
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: U2 - Songs of Innocence (Sept. 9)

I didn't get it on my phone. And fuck U2.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I'd rather be spammed by U2 than companies who promise they have a product guaranteed to make my penis bigger.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

I read about it a week after the fact and didn't realize it was on my computer.

Lots of hate on U2 these days... Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree are, in modern terms, unfuckwithable.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I suppose I'd rather be spammed by U2 than companies who promise they have a product guaranteed to make my penis bigger.
True... now if Bono did a penis enlargement infomercial... that'd be something.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I enjoyed early U2, but they have sounded bloated and bored to my ears for quite some time. To be fair, I stopped listening to them quite a while ago, so some of the later albums may be fine for all I know.

I think it's a bit of a strange marketing concept - on one hand it seems all altruistic and generous (here, free album everyone!), but on the other, the Apple connection makes the whole thing seems corporatised and very cynical.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I like U2 years ago, but I just have not cared since 99.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
True... now if Bono did a penis enlargement infomercial... that'd be something.
"Discover something that's an even bigger dick than me!"
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
JackStark211

Bono is pretty annoying.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
JackStark211

Quote:

Hahahaha. Classic.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

After a week with the album, I think it's pretty good (in terms on post 2000 U2):

There is no track as strong as Walk On or Beautiful Day, but it's the equivalent of the best deep cuts from the past 20 years. I don't really get the hate towards apple/U2 giving this away for free. It's easily downloadable. If you don't know how to delete it, you are an idiot. Learn how to use your device.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
After a week with the album, I think it's pretty good (in terms on post 2000 U2):

There is no track as strong as Walk On or Beautiful Day, but it's the equivalent of the best deep cuts from the past 20 years. I don't really get the hate towards apple/U2 giving this away for free. It's easily downloadable. If you don't know how to delete it, you are an idiot. Learn how to use your device.
Right... nothing wrong with it really. If this was their next Joshua Tree (which I don't think we'll be getting) they probably would have done a regular release with more advance notice.

I'm in the minority, but I don't like Zooropa, but do quite enjoy Pop. Pop and earlier... U2 is more of an album band. AYCLB and later is more individual songs over a album theme, but the songs are great. After that... I lost interest.

I always assumed you could just delete it, but I see all these site about how to get rid of it. Seems simple enough...
Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
GoodSkanky

Quote:
"Still haven't found what you're looking for? That unforgettable fire of desire for wild honey? Well then get off your arse in the Red Hill mining town of yours and walk on to Bono's Bonerama... where we take pride in the name of love..."

Sorry, that was terrible... couldn't help it!
Old 09-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #14
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

At first I grumbled a bit about the occasional preachy lyrics. But then I remembered this is U2. Or more to the point, Bono. The music is sound. Most of their albums yield a couple songs I either have to warm to or never wind up liking. So, there's a few good/great songs and a few fillers. Typical U2.

I don't get the hate either. But people don't like things foisted on them, even if it's something free of charge. And U2 is still the biggest modern rock band. People don't like that either.

Last edited by gweeps; 09-17-2014 at 06:42 AM..
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

It's such a weird privacy concern. It's not that far removed from a software update notice. Also, It's not like apple actually got into your house and left a gift wrapped LP on your bed. If you want to look at it like spam, that's fine. But I don't give any other spam a second thought, if I wasn't interested in U2, why would I give is much thought either?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
Tim Simmons

I think people are pissed because it points out what idiots they are because they don't know how to delete or hide an item in ITunes/iTunes cloud.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #17
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I listened to the album, couldn't really see any point in its existence.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
GoodSkanky

What I heard was fine, but forgettable. Perhaps they should have called it Forgettable Fire so it'd get street cred like the last Bowie.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Cover for the physical release

Old 09-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #20
JackStark211

Horrible.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
GoodSkanky

I'm kind of surprised they're bothering with a physical release. Other than the fact that the cover is screaming physical release...
Old 09-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #22
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I'm kind of surprised they're bothering with a physical release. Other than the fact that the cover is screaming physical release...
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #23
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Man, people are killing it on this thread.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

That cover reminds me of a homoerotic version of the last Josh Pearson album.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
GoodSkanky

Josh Pearson - The Womb Broom LP...
Sponsored Links