TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 10-16-2006, 01:28 AM   #51
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie Recommendations

I watched the saddest, most amazing film last night that I've seen in ages.

It's called Turtles Can Fly and it is about a group of Kurdish children who live in a refugee camp along the Turkish/Iraq border. They disarm land mines and sell them to survive. Most of the cast are non-actors, many really missing limbs from land mine accidents in the region.

Its not a pity-fest though, its a really intelligent, thought provoking film.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #52
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Those were the scenes I was talking about. And I loved all the really blatant product placement - that was funny too.
"if you dont like big red, the <bleep> you"
sicottem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #53
trappss1
Go Pack Go!!

trappss1 is a jewel in the roughtrappss1 is a jewel in the rough

I just watched 2 good rentals this weekend. Thank You For Smoking and Down in the Valley. I had never heard of Down in the Valley before I saw it on the shelf at Blockbuster. I rented it purely because it stared Edward Norton, and boy am I glad I did.
trappss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #54
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicottem View Post
"if you dont like big red, the <bleep> you"
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:53 AM   #55
Spot

Spot is an unknown quantity at this point

Little Miss Sunshine........
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:17 AM   #56
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Death Wish 1,2,3,4,5
Old 10-17-2006, 05:25 AM   #57
la twinkle

la twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Little Miss Sunshine........
Man I hear so much hype on this movie. But I am totally clueless on it. Is it really as good as everyone is saying?
la twinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #58
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by la twinkle View Post
Man I hear so much hype on this movie. But I am totally clueless on it. Is it really as good as everyone is saying?
A couple of friends saw it on the weekend and loved it! According to them, everyone in the cinema was laughing uncontrollably during various times. I've seen the trailer and thought it looks interesting/funny. I might check it out this weekend.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #59
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I'm looking forward to the new Christopher Nolan film, The Prestige.

Fantastic cast and seems like an really interesting story idea.

From acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan ("Memento," "Batman Begins"), comes a mysterious story of two magicians whose intense rivalry leads them on a life-long battle for supremacy full of obsession, deceit and jealousy with dangerous and deadly consequences.

From the time that they first met as young magicians on the rise, Robert Angier (HUGH JACKMAN) and Alfred Borden (CHRISTIAN BALE) were competitors. However, their friendly competition evolves into a bitter rivalry making them fierce enemies-for-life and consequently jeopardizing the lives of everyone around them. Full of twists and turns, THE PRESTIGE is set against the backdrop of turn-of-the-century London, the exceptional cast includes two-time Oscar® winner Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson and David Bowie.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #60
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the new Christopher Nolan film, The Prestige.

Fantastic cast and seems like an really interesting story idea.

From acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan ("Memento," "Batman Begins"), comes a mysterious story of two magicians whose intense rivalry leads them on a life-long battle for supremacy full of obsession, deceit and jealousy with dangerous and deadly consequences.

From the time that they first met as young magicians on the rise, Robert Angier (HUGH JACKMAN) and Alfred Borden (CHRISTIAN BALE) were competitors. However, their friendly competition evolves into a bitter rivalry making them fierce enemies-for-life and consequently jeopardizing the lives of everyone around them. Full of twists and turns, THE PRESTIGE is set against the backdrop of turn-of-the-century London, the exceptional cast includes two-time Oscar® winner Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson and David Bowie.

so am i....memento is my favorite movie
Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #61
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

One of my favourites too - I think I've seen it at least three times.

Have you seen The Machinest, with Christian Bale? Its got a similar vibe about it to Memento.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #62
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
One of my favourites too - I think I've seen it at least three times.

Have you seen The Machinest, with Christian Bale? Its got a similar vibe about it to Memento.
i havent seen it....but is that the film that bale played a bulemic or something....i heard that he is incredibly thin in one of his movies
Old 10-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #63
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
i havent seen it....but is that the film that bale played a bulemic or something....i heard that he is incredibly thin in one of his movies

Yes, thats the one. He's a guy who hasn't slept for a year - and he is incredibly thin. I was actually shocked first time I saw him in the movie - I've never seen an actor lose that much weight for a role.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #64
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
Yes, thats the one. He's a guy who hasn't slept for a year - and he is incredibly thin. I was actually shocked first time I saw him in the movie - I've never seen an actor lose that much weight for a role.
the guy is huge in batman begins too
Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #65
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

His transformation is incredible.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #66
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Old 10-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #67
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

yea....that is

actually pretty disgusting
Old 10-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #68
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
yea....that is

actually pretty disgusting

It was pretty gruesome. In a way it actually distracted from the film - you spend the first half of the the movie being amazed at how skinny and ill he looks rather than just concentrating on the story. Its worth watching though.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #69
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
It was pretty gruesome. In a way it actually distracted from the film - you spend the first half of the the movie being amazed at how skinny and ill he looks rather than just concentrating on the story. Its worth watching though.
i guess it has that effect on a lot of people because all i have heard about the movie is how thin he is....nothing about the actual story....
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #70
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
i guess it has that effect on a lot of people because all i have heard about the movie is how thin he is....nothing about the actual story....
The story line is actually quite clever - and as I said - takes a little bit from Memento I think in terms of style. Its hard to say too much without spoiling the plot but basically Bale is a guy who hasn't slept for a year, is troubled by something that he can't remember and gets fired after he causes an accident at his factory job that leaves a guy without an arm. Then, his mysterious guy starts following him everywhere and someone leaves strange notes on his fridge.......and much mystery follows.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #71
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
The story line is actually quite clever - and as I said - takes a little bit from Memento I think in terms of style. Its hard to say too much without spoiling the plot but basically Bale is a guy who hasn't slept for a year, is troubled by something that he can't remember and gets fired after he causes an accident at his factory job that leaves a guy without an arm. Then, his mysterious guy starts following him everywhere and someone leaves strange notes on his fridge.......and much mystery follows.
sounds like the guy is having a very enjoyable life...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #72
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
sounds like the guy is having a very enjoyable life...
and its all downhill from there....
Old 10-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #73
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
and its all downhill from there....
great....sounds like my kind of movie
Old 10-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #74
maddiehope
Eat it, Wonder Boy

maddiehope is a jewel in the roughmaddiehope is a jewel in the rough

I watched The New World again the other night. I don't know what it is about that movie, but it's mesmerizing.

I would have liked more Christian Bale than Colin Ferrall, though. But that's just because I adore Christian Bale.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #75
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiehope View Post
But that's just because I adore Christian Bale.

You are very wise.
Sponsored Links