TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2017 Albums Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

gord downie / introduce yerself [10.27]

Old 09-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
gord downie / introduce yerself [10.27]

the tragically hip are my favorite band - have been for yrs - so much so that they are the only band i have tattooed on my body - for that matter they are they only tattoo i have on my body - how they have managed to stick together for decades and still continue to twist and curve and mutate is incredibly inspiring to me - when i heard the news back in the spring of 2016 that their lead singer gord downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer it really shook me - i was in tears - of all the brains ...

gords lyrics are nothing short of genius to me - his vocabulary and skill with wordplay and metaphor are incredible - added to that his stage persona - strange long weird funny scary ad libbed rants and stories [some that eventually worked their way into future songs] and odd dances and pantomine - hes always seemed like a hybrid of david byrne and michael stipe to me

but - that diagnosis! what would it all mean for the band and more importantly for him?

did he decide to sulk + hide? no - FUCK NO - he instead rages against the dying of the light - he toured with his band in support of their album 'man machine poem' just mere months after getting the news - he undertook an initiative [the gordon downie and chanie wenjack fund] to better the lives of northern canadians who have been abused +/or ignored by their government for decades - he released both an album + a book titled 'secret path' that directly shines a light on one specific young person who was scared yet brave enough to try + find his family after being displaced by said goverment - sadly he did not make his way back to their house and died in the woods - alone - for his work gord was honored by the assembly of first nations and given the name 'man who walks among the stars'

and now? now gord is about to release a DOUBLE album just two + a half yrs after getting the horrible news - this dude does not know the meaning of quit - this dude is the definition of COURAGE!!!

[thanks for reading]

01 First Person
02 Wolf's Home
03 Bedtime
04 Introduce Yerself
05 Coco Chanel No. 5
06 Ricky Please
07 Safe Is Dead
08 Spoon
09 A Natural
10 Faith Faith
11 My First Girlfriend
12 Yer Ashore
13 Love Over Money
14 You Me And The B's
15 Snowflake
16 A Better End
17 Nancy
18 Thinking About Us
19 The Road
20 You Are The Bird
21 The Lake
22 Far Away And Blurred
23 The North

Last edited by sleigher; 09-27-2017 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: added track listing for album
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
Re: gord downie / introduce yerself [10.27]

this album is gorgeous

total 180 from gords typical obtuse/word puzzle tunes

honest/raw/straightforward

some really great melodies and i am struck by how sturdy his vocals are

a real gem
Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

This was great - thanks for the rec!
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Map View Post
This was great - thanks for the rec!
yer welcome - glad you liked it!
Sponsored Links