TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2017 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

u2 / songs of experience [12.01]

Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
sleigher

sleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of light
u2 / songs of experience [12.01]

pretty geeked for this one - songs of innocence was damn awesome

they posted a video for a new song the blackout on facebook today

and the 'official' first single yer the best thing about me will be released 09.06

heres the little things that give you away on kimmel in may

heres a link to the blackout:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/see-t...-blackout.html

Last edited by sleigher; 11-01-2017 at 01:36 PM..
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: u2 / songs of experience [soonish]

Album is out Dec 1
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 AM   #3
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I don't think I even listened to the last album. No Line On The Horizon was such a snoozefest that I stopped bothering.

I love everything up to (and including) Pop (it gets shit but I love it). The next two albums had some great tunes on them, so I might check this out - just don't get too excited by U2 anymore.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
sleigher

sleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I don't think I even listened to the last album. No Line On The Horizon was such a snoozefest that I stopped bothering.

I love everything up to (and including) Pop (it gets shit but I love it). The next two albums had some great tunes on them, so I might check this out - just don't get too excited by U2 anymore.
pop is a fuckin classic - so underrated

achtung/zooropa/pop is my sweet spot

songs of innocence totally killed no line - its so bombastic at times

if you get a chance check out raised by wolves +/or volcano

they completely did a 180 with that album
Old 09-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Ok I will. Likewise - I love that trio of albums, Achtung Baby being my favorite

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
sleigher

01. Love Is All We Have Left
02. Lights of Home
03. You’re The Best Thing About Me
04. Get Out of Your Own Way [featuring Kendrick Lamar]
05. American Soul
06. Summer of Love
07. Red Flag Day
08. The Showman (Little More Better)
09. The Little Things That Give You Away
10. Landlady
11. The Blackout
12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
13. 13 (There is a Light)
Old 11-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: u2 / songs of experience [12.01]

Album is pretty good.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

3rd best album of the year good?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

lol no.

But best U2 album in 20 years.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
lol no.

But best U2 album in 20 years.

That isn't saying much.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #11
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

This one is a grower.

Love is All We Have Left reminds me of something from their late 90s era. I like the use of autotune. A first for U2?

I think I will always love the Kimmel version of The Little Things that Give You Away more than any other version. But they did a good studio take. It just doesn't seem as emotional as the live endings. Slightly mannered.

Lights of Home wowed me. I adore the outro.

Red Flag Day is one of their catchiest songs. Amazing for a 40 year old band.

Summer of Love reminds me of the kind of filler I like from U2. Simpler, quieter songs. Like One Step Closer, In a Little While, A Man and a Woman and White as Snow.

The singles fit snugly into the framework of this album. They are the lesser songs, of course. I will say that The Blackout reminds me of their 90s disco craze period.

The final song, 13 (There is a Light), has choked me up a bit. Despite being written for his son, Bono kept it general enough to provide (occasionally sardonic) encouragement to anyone who cares to hear his plea. It, of all the call-backs to the previous album, feels the most sincere. Bono's had a rough few years with multiple health related issues, so I don't begrudge him the need to sing for his family.

The Showman sounds like a piece of 60's fluff. But again, the filler on this album isn't terrible. Just remembers its place is all. The song also reminds me of a b-side called Flower Child.

I think Songs of Experience has a great variety of musical depth. Lyrically it suffers from Bono's tendency to use platitudes. But he's always been preachy. He's simply and sadly not as poetic as he used to be. More blunt these days. But his voice is on point. It's subtle when it needs to be and soars at the right moments. I smirk when I remember reading how his Dad once claimed he was a baritone who wanted to be a tenor.

The album is mastered well for my taste. No big Edge solos, but a lot of tight and occasionally layered background work. Adam is as reliable as usual. Same with Larry. A few of the songs have little codas to them which allows them to breathe.

Great effort, guys.
Sponsored Links