TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2017 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The National - Sleep Well Beast (Sept 8)

Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #51
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The National - Sleep Well Beast (Sept 8)

But then you only get 10 new songs from the National.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #52
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
But then you only get 10 new songs from the National.
Exactly.

I like this album more than Trouble Will Find Me. Really good stuff.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #53
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Update: Lose "Born to Beg" and "Empire Line" and you got yourself a nice little ten tracker (the perfect album length). Both add nothing, and don't stand up as strong songs in general. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I find myself skipping those tracks too, especially Born to Beg.

last.fm
foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #54
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

man, if any song is useless, its the title track.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #55
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It sure is loose, but it grew on me. I think it says more, lyrically, as well, and that's what hooked me.

Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #56
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yeah, I agree and I forgot to mention that one previously. Empire Line has already grown on me some since my post yesterday. haha. Born to Beg is the one I really can't get into.

last.fm
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #57
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I listened to this album 3 times over the weekend. Really good stuff.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #58
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I'm really liking it too. Kind of wish it had a stronger finish though. I think the title track is the weakest album closer they've had.

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #59
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I'm really liking it too. Kind of wish it had a stronger finish though. I think the title track is the weakest album closer they've had.

I agree. I enjoy the song but I have been spoiled by them having such epic album closures.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #60
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I agree. I enjoy the song but I have been spoiled by them having such epic album closures.
I'm into it because if you have it on repeat, it runs seamlessly right back into the 1st track - an endless atmospheric cycle.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #61
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

After a few more listens, the title track and Born To Beg are the weakest points for me.
I feel it's not quite as dynamic as the last two albums, but I still look forward to hearing Day I Die live next month.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #62
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Map View Post
I'm into it because if you have it on repeat, it runs seamlessly right back into the 1st track - an endless atmospheric cycle.
I did notice that. My iPod was on repeat mode and, apart from Day I Die, it seems like the album kept going.

The record hasn't really clicked for me. It all sounds good, but I'm not as absorbed in it as I have been with previous records.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #63
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Yeah, I'm doubting it will fully hit as an album for me. I've played it a bunch, but firmly believe that Born To Beg and Empire Line are bad songs, and Carin and Dark Side Of The Gym are totally forgettable (and a waste of an ace song title in DSOTG's case). I love all the others though. would have made a solid mini-album/EP.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #64
JackStark211

I really like Born To Beg and Empire Line. All in all I think this album is much better than the last record. I probably have not listened to Trouble Will Find Me in 3 years.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #65
Tim Simmons

I too like both those tracks. the title track is the only one i'm pretty meh on. that being said, I think I'm in too deep to fairly rate their albums post Alligator. too many highlights, too few (if any) low lights.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #66
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I'm pretty big into I'll Still Destroy You

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #67
foggy
dangerous when cornered

Quote:

Me too! My favorite track.

last.fm
Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #68
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Quote:

Yeah, easily one of the best on the album. For me, it goes:

12. Born to Beg
11. Empire Line
10. Dark Side Of The Gym
9. Carin At The Liquor Store
8. Sleep Well Beast
7. Walk It Back
6. Turtleneck
5. Nobody Else Will Be There
4. Day I Die
3. I'll Still Destroy You
2. The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness
1. Guilty Party

Hard list to make, and even now I'm not so sure that the order is right. Definitely know what I don't like, but it's hard to pick a standout. I think 7 - 2 are all 8's and 1 is a 9. Good album.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #69
foggy
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Carin and Dark Side Of The Gym are totally forgettable (and a waste of an ace song title in DSOTG's case)
Funny, Dark Side of the Gym is one of my favorites. (I also Love Carin)

last.fm
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #70
Tim Simmons

Man, you guys are hating the best songs on this record.

That last minute of Empire Line. That’s the stuff.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #71
JackStark211

Quote:
Man, you guys are hating the best songs on this record.

That last minute of Empire Line. That’s the stuff.
I agree.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #72
Tim Simmons

Saw them last night. If you guys are lucky enough to see Empire Line, you'll change your minds on the track.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #73
foggy
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Saw them last night. If you guys are lucky enough to see Empire Line, you'll change your minds on the track.
Agreed! Although I started to love it before seeing them live, live it was amazing. I saw them in Canada and then also at a tiny benefit show in Buffalo NY, brilliant! The acoustic show in Buffalo was really special.

last.fm
Old 12-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #74
andyo812

andyo812 is just really niceandyo812 is just really nice

This isn’t a far drive for me : )

andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #75
lukin
I'm talking ace

Seeing them at the end of February, I like the look of their set lists at the moment

Sponsored Links

Tags
chowder bags are ready to burst!!!, the national