TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2017 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Josh Ritter - Gathering

Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of
Josh Ritter - Gathering

Ritter just posted this video to his Twitter account which looks like the lead up to an album announcement. Just putting it on your radars

https://twitter.com/joshritter/statu...44271244640256

Last edited by GILMORE104; 07-17-2017 at 12:17 PM..
GILMORE104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
Re: Josh Ritter - TBD

hopefully its about joe pernices eating habits
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

So the title of the album is "Gathering", release date is still TBD. First single "Showboat" is on All Songs Considered. Rob, can you update the threat info?

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs...is-newest-work

Quote:
I had that feeling you get when the sky is suddenly dark before a summer storm; the thunderheads looming at the edge of the fields, the birds quiet. The smell of the gathering electricity in the atmosphere, the certainty of lightning.

This record is the product of a strange and interesting time. When I started writing Gathering, I felt tired of living in the shadow of my earlier self, my earlier work — but more than discouraged, I felt charged with the possibility and the freedom of cutting myself loose from my own and others' expectations. I began with an exciting sense of dissatisfaction, and what emerged, as I began to find my voice, was a record full of storms. Some, like "Feels Like Lightning" or "Friendamine," are physical storms. Others, like "Dreams," are interior ones. Listening to these songs now, I hear uncertainty, mania, laughter and sadness, all vying for their place on the album. I was surprised by the new voice.

I still can't tell what era these stories are from. They feel part roustabout, part psalm to me. The narrator of "Showboat" is outsized; a big talker who carries deep inner uncertainties and struggles to keep a strong front against the world raging around him. Like all of us, at some point in our lives, he forces himself to laugh through real darkness, whether alone or among others. In quieter moments, like on "Strangers," or "Thunderbolt's Goodnight," or "Train Go By," the vulnerability of the characters shines through the cracks of their exterior bluster.

As I worked, I also found myself painting again in a serious way. The landscapes that emerged followed the same preoccupations with gathering storms that are in evidence on the songs.

Artwork by Josh Ritter for his new song, "Showboat."
Josh Ritter/Courtesy of the artist
When it came time for recording, I had more songs than I have ever had at one time. Rather than picking through them in advance , I opted to record everything I had over the course of two weeks. The goal was to put a ton of stuff down and think about it later. Trina Shoemaker, my band and I headed for the studio.

After the whirlwind of recording had subsided, I was left with a pile of thirty songs. I spent the next couple months sifting through them in order to decide which ones best hung together to form the record. We did backing vocals and horns in some other studios in Nashville and North Carolina. I asked Bob Weir to sing on "When Will I Be Changed." We had written his record, Blue Mountain, together, and working with him was deeply influential to my writing during this time.

I have been writing records for almost twenty years now. Each one has been different from the last in subject and form, but with Gathering I feel I've found a new electric dissatisfaction, a new way to rejoice as the storm rolls in. — Josh Ritter
Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post
So the title of the album is "Gathering", release date is still TBD. First single "Showboat" is on All Songs Considered. Rob, can you update the threat info?
thanks for the heads up - gonna go listen now

if you click 'edit' then 'go advance' you can edit the thread title
Old 07-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
GILMORE104
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
thanks for the heads up - gonna go listen now

if you click 'edit' then 'go advance' you can edit the thread title
TIL
Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
GILMORE104
Moo

Re: Josh Ritter - Gathering

official video for "Showboat"

Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
Shadowlands96

Shadowlands96 is on a distinguished road

Josh Ritter is right up there for me in terms of contemporary singer-songwriters. I've listened to him as much as any other artist over the last ten years or so--in particular Animal Years and Historical Conquests are masterpieces, IMO. That said, I don't care for the new single. I think it lacks the passion, imagination, and lyricism of his best stuff. I hope--like "Do You Still Love Me?"--it belies the tone and quality of the album as a whole.
Shadowlands96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands96 View Post
Josh Ritter is right up there for me in terms of contemporary singer-songwriters. I've listened to him as much as any other artist over the last ten years or so--in particular Animal Years and Historical Conquests are masterpieces, IMO. That said, I don't care for the new single. I think it lacks the passion, imagination, and lyricism of his best stuff. I hope--like "Do You Still Love Me?"--it belies the tone and quality of the album as a whole.
I noticed this is becoming a trend with a lot of artists i.e. Isbell hope the high road
Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
GILMORE104
Moo

FWIW, at first I was unsure about Sermon on the Rocks, but now I spin it just as much as any of his other albums. I actually think for a first single, this song is very nice.

That said, you're right, The Animal Years is a masterpiece.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
Shadowlands96

Sermon on the Rocks grew on me. I'm not a big fan of the production on it, though. It's a bit too slick for his music. He used the same producer on the forthcoming record, I believe.

Animal Years is so, so good.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
Shadowlands96

New Josh Ritter track, "Thunderbolt's Goodnight," is up on Paste: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...goodnight.html

I like this one a lot more than "Showboat."
Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
Shadowlands96

The forthcoming record is streaming now on First Listen: http://www.npr.org/2017/09/14/550443..._medium=social
Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

Any thoughts on this yet? I must admit I've found myself less excited after Sermon on the Rocks but I still love his stuff. For me, his live albums is where it's at. I wasn't taken by 'So runs..' until I listened to Live at Iveagh Gardens.

A fantastic songwriter though.
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #14
GILMORE104
Moo

So I think it's pretty good. I love the song with Bob Weir. I want to give this some time before I really cast a vote with it. It didn't immediately strike me as a fantastic album, but Sermon was that way, too. Over time, though, Sermon has been an album I revisit quite often.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
Shadowlands96

I don't love the album, but it's good. A number of the uptempo, ramshackle countryish songs remind me of "Next to the Last Romantic" from Historical Conquests. I feel like there's one too many of those on Gathering (I'd cut "Feels Like Lightning" or "Cry Softly.") I'm leaning more toward the slower, spare tunes like "Thunderbolt's Goodnight" and "Strangers." "Dreams" might be my favorite though. I don't know that any contemporary songwriter does fever dream imagery onslaughts better. It doesn't surpass "Thin Blue Flame" or "Remnant" for me, but it certainly falls into the same territory.

I like the production and arrangements on the new record much more than on Sermon on the Rocks, which I felt sounded too slick for his music and had nary an acoustic guitar.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
baptizedpotato

baptizedpotato is a jewel in the roughbaptizedpotato is a jewel in the rough

like it alot so far. the start is in the same style as Sermon On The Rocks (that i really dig) but after the first couple of songs it's alot more country/acoustic. Feels Like Lightning is a gorgeous mix between Johnny Cash and Paul Simon. will have to give it a few more spins but definately delivers so far..
baptizedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
gavinm

I've moved on from this very quickly.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
gavinm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinm View Post
I've moved on from this very quickly.
I'm rowing back on this straight away. The kids (7 & 9) are huge Ritter fans and made me listen to it twice today.there's more in it than I thought. Dreams is a great song.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
Shadowlands96

I picked it up again this week after a couple of weeks away from listening. I think itís backloaded. I love Dreams, Myrna Loy, Oh Lord, and Thunderboltís Goodnight, but Friendamine is the only song I return to consistently among the earlier tracks.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
sleigher

noisetrade is offering a free d/l of the album along with a new song miles away

https://noisetrade.com/joshritter/la...ering-new-song
Sponsored Links