TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Was 2005 Ryan's Best Year?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
yaka24

yaka24 will become famous soon enough
Was 2005 Ryan's Best Year?

I don't think he will ever reach that level again. Yes, some of the shows were disasters, but others shot through the roof. Energy with JP was great, shows could go anywhere.... Now they are predictable, always good, but never great shows. I miss the old

04/19/05 Ryan Adams & the Cardinals XM Radio Session Washington, DC
04/27/05 Ryan Adams & the Cardinals Calvin Theater Northampton, MA
06/04/05 Ryan Adams & the Cardinals Starland Ballroom Sayerville, NJ
06/03/05 Ryan Adams & the Cardinals Northern Lights Clifton Park, NY

I mean cmonn

Discuss!
yaka24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold
Re: Was 2005 Ryan's Best Year?

I think the Clifton Park show is one of the best Ryan shows I've heard it. I'm not sure that the year as a whole was his best one but I think every year had good and bad in it.

I do agree that the shows at the moment have become quite predictable in the way the band is performing. Ryan himself is always unpredictable but the music the band is producing is a bit bland.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
dwight

dwight is on a distinguished road

As far as album releases, yes. But live, I'd go with 2006. JP was great in the studio, but the jams never really took off until Neal joined. Not that there weren't a lot of great shows in '05.
dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Sunny44

Sunny44 is just really niceSunny44 is just really nice

Live, I think he is just as good now.
Sunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Live?

2002 hands down.

That solo tour to support Demolition was his best tour post Whiskeytown.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say it.

JP is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
dwight

JP's work on CR was always super choice. He was reallly perfect for the rhythm acoustic/twangy fills vibe on that record.

And the JP Cardinals doing Trains live is probably as good as Ryan has ever been.

But in general the idea that the JP Cardinals were this raw rocking outfit and the Neal Cardinals are this mellow Grateful Dead cover band is overblown. Listen the Rock City show from the Fall '06 tour. Or listen to the Chicago House of Blues show from '07. Or the Norva '06 show. Before Ryan broke his wrist again and delved into the Blue Cave, they could bring the rock at least as good as than the JP Cardinals or the RA Killers or the Sweetheart Rev ever did.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
tangledup

tangledup is a jewel in the roughtangledup is a jewel in the rough

I don't think he has that pure emotional rawness he once had. I think it may come back though. I think right now he's resigned himself to something (like he's trying it out) and I'm not completely convinced he's as into it as he says he is.
tangledup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

3 great albums and a really good tour. Its hard to argue against that.

2003 is my personal favorite though, just because he did Love is Hell and Rock N Roll.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledup View Post
I don't think he has that pure emotional rawness he once had. I think it may come back though. I think right now he's resigned himself to something (like he's trying it out) and I'm not completely convinced he's as into it as he says he is.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
ut4ever8

ut4ever8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone direct me to a link where JP really does any kind of jamming? I never had any distaste for the guy, but he never really did manage to impress me much.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut4ever8 View Post
Can someone direct me to a link where JP really does any kind of jamming? I never had any distaste for the guy, but he never really did manage to impress me much.
Check out Trains from this show...

http://www.archive.org/details/ra2005-06-03.Matrix_16

JP tears it up pretty good. But in terms of jamming, he never developed the same kind of raport with Ryan and Slyder that Neal has. But in terms of a country-rocking lead guitar player, JP was pretty solid.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
yaka24

yeah I meant live mostly

also, he doesnt play wharf rat anymore
Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
yaka24

Also the version of New York, New York he was doing was superb
Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #15
dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaka24 View Post
yeah I meant live mostly

also, he doesnt play wharf rat anymore
Which is too bad. I saw him do that back in '02 and it was superb.

But they did play Wharf Rat more in '06 than in '05. If you're saying that's another reason why '05 was his best year, he covered that song a lot more than just in 2005. That was a pretty standard cover even back during the Gold tour.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
ut4ever8

ut4ever8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight View Post
Check out Trains from this show...

http://www.archive.org/details/ra2005-06-03.Matrix_16

JP tears it up pretty good. But in terms of jamming, he never developed the same kind of raport with Ryan and Slyder that Neal has. But in terms of a country-rocking lead guitar player, JP was pretty solid.
Thanks man, thats a good show all around. I think you pretty much summed how was I felt about JP when you said he was pretty solid. He just never awed me very much, but I guess he never needed to be an amazing lead player since Ryan shares the soloing duties.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been of the opinion that Ryan being his most comfortable and putting the least amount of thought into something is when he's at his best.

examples:
Stranger's (a little thought, but you get the idea. he was comfortable being him)
Gold (recorded in such a short span of time, mostly live in the studio, some of those songs had never been played the whole way through until they got recorded.)
RNR (in my mind, the motto for that album is "FUCK IT. TURN IT UP.")
JCN (i don't even need to say anything to justify this album.)

I like LIH/29 and the like, but it just feels so high concept.
there was an idea other than making good rock tunes.
and the idea gets in the way.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
I've always been of the opinion that Ryan being his most comfortable and putting the least amount of thought into something is when he's at his best.

examples:
Stranger's (a little thought, but you get the idea. he was comfortable being him)
Gold (recorded in such a short span of time, mostly live in the studio, some of those songs had never been played the whole way through until they got recorded.)
RNR (in my mind, the motto for that album is "FUCK IT. TURN IT UP.")
JCN (i don't even need to say anything to justify this album.)

I like LIH/29 and the like, but it just feels so high concept.
there was an idea other than making good rock tunes.
and the idea gets in the way.
I totally agree, except I'd also put RnR and Gold into his "high concept" era. They recorded Gold quickly, but everything was filtered through his idea of making it sound like 70's radio and giving it such a classic rock feel. And RnR wasn't really him letting things flow, it was him trying to make a stupid loud rock record. Kind of trying to replicate what seemed to come natural on the Pinkhearts recordings.

LiH is a tough one, cause obviously he really meant that record, but the whole "I"m done with alt-country, the Smiths are my biggest influence" seemed so forced. After the Gold tour got over there was such a feeling of him trying to get away from the alt-country/new Dylan thing, which kind of made everything feel a little less real, if you know what I mean.

That's why, even even though I liked a lot of LiH and RnR, it felt like such a breath of fresh air when I first saw the Cards in '04 and heard Cold Roses. He was just cutting loose with good songs.

And I think ET was back to the "concept", where he went in with the idea of making a record label friendly record that would sell, and it stiffled much of the vibe. For me the new one is much closer to the "natural" Ryan, but obviously the songs aren't every fans cup-of-tea.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut4ever8 View Post
Thanks man, thats a good show all around. I think you pretty much summed how was I felt about JP when you said he was pretty solid. He just never awed me very much, but I guess he never needed to be an amazing lead player since Ryan shares the soloing duties.
My take is that I'd MUCH rather hear the records he'd make with JP - but in terms of the Cards as a live band, I'd like where they went after Neal joined the band much better.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight View Post
I totally agree, except I'd also put RnR and Gold into his "high concept" era. They recorded them quickly, but everything was filtered through his idea of making it sound like 70's radio and giving it such a classic rock feel. That's why, even even though I liked a lot of LiH and RnR, it felt like such a breath of fresh air when I first saw the Cards in '04 and heard Cold Roses. He was just cutting loose with good songs.

And I think ET was back to the "concept", where he went in with the idea of making a record label friendly record that would sell, and it stiffled much of the vibe. For me the new one is much closer to the "natural" Ryan, but obviously the songs aren't every fans cup-of-tea.
yeah, that's true.
i guess i'm just much more willing to accept a concept that involves unabashedly rocking out then crying like a pansy.

<----I mean.... seriously... avatar...

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

Quote:
yeah, that's true.
i guess i'm just much more willing to accept a concept that involves unabashedly rocking out then crying like a pansy.

Yeah, I was just about to pull you up on that from your other post. I think Ryan was totally being himself in LIH and 29, its just thats where he was at the time. I'll take rock as much as the sad bastard stuff, the key is the raw emotion.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
dwight

Quote:
yeah, that's true.

Though, honestly, hasn't every thing Ryan's ever done been filtered through some sort of concept? Even Heartbreaker was the result of him aping Gillian Welch and trying to figure out how to make interesting music solo.

He often sounds like Westy, but as artists they strike me as being completely different.

Luckily Ryan is so damn talented that he often makes it work.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

It's funny how this new cry-baby, whining Ryan has turned the guys off him but not the ladies or not as noticeably. I do miss the raw emotion though. I don't think the Cards do raw emotion.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #24
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
It's funny how this new cry-baby, whining Ryan has turned the guys off him but not the ladies or not as noticeably. I do miss the raw emotion though. I don't think the Cards do raw emotion.
Are you still 'into' Ryan as much as you were before then Rose?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #25
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I just feel like he's not being true to himself, is all.
He's trying to fit himself into whatever this box is, and it isn't working so well.

It doesn't outright blow, but it's far from his best.

Sponsored Links