Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Ryan's "Divorce Trilogy"?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
WreckTangle

WreckTangle will become famous soon enough
Ryan's "Divorce Trilogy"?

http://uproxx.com/music/ryan-adams-p...orce-albums/3/

Thoughts?

I definitely get Prisoner and I also get 1989 as being a distraction from what was going on in his life at the time he made it - but what about RA?

Do others "hear" that as being about his marriage starting to come apart...as the author of this article puts forth?

Here is my take. I split from my wife in March of 2015 (her decision)...so I spent most of 2015 with a broken heart and I listened to RA a lot and I "felt" like some of the songs dealt with a relationship that was not well.

I think it is a more profound record than a lot of people gave it credit for. It has a really sad vibe to it.

I do know that some of it was inspired by the death of his grandma and I don't know enough about his personal life to have any clue if his marriage was already tanking when he started to write and record that album (since MM sang on it - one would think not overtly tanking).

What do ya'll think?
"Everything you ever touched is undisturbed and hangs out, Like crime scene evidence undisturbed in dust, I don't dare touch anything because it's evidence of us, And it means everything, Well sort of..."
WreckTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ryan's "Divorce Trilogy"?

to me the divorce trilogy is a&f, s/t and prisoner. With A&F being about being bored or complacent in a relationship.

as far as s/t i think they separated right before the tour so i definitely think s/t is about a dying marriage marriage. most long term relationships and especially marriages just don't turn bad out of nowhere--it usually lingers and things just begin to add up imo. I've never been married just watched both my parents get divorced four times total lol
Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
WreckTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
to me the divorce trilogy is a&f, s/t and prisoner. With A&F being about being bored or complacent in a relationship.

as far as s/t i think they separated right before the tour so i definitely think s/t is about a dying marriage marriage. most long term relationships and especially marriages just don't turn bad out of nowhere--it usually lingers and things just begin to add up imo. I've never been married just watched both my parents get divorced four times total lol
I completely agree. My marriage did not just end - it slowly died without either of us really knowing it was happening or even understanding why. That is the vibe S/T give me.

The author of the article says Ashes is his "happy" marriage record...so one could argue Ashes is all about being happy and content...and then S/T is where the rot and doubt start creeping in...and then Prisoner is the aftermath.
"Everything you ever touched is undisturbed and hangs out, Like crime scene evidence undisturbed in dust, I don't dare touch anything because it's evidence of us, And it means everything, Well sort of..."
Old 02-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
I completely agree. My marriage did not just end - it slowly died without either of us really knowing it was happening or even understanding why. That is the vibe S/T give me.

The author of the article says Ashes is his "happy" marriage record...so one could argue Ashes is all about being happy and content...and then S/T is where the rot and doubt start creeping in...and then Prisoner is the aftermath.
one of my favorite DRA tracks is Do I Wait and also my favorite off A&F and I would call the song neither happy or content haha

then I love you but i don't know what to say also to me takes away whatever happy content vibes exist on the record... song starts off with "we belong here we belong here" like he's still trying to convince himself thats true. thats the vibe i get and then the song ends with "When the night is silent and we seem so far away/ Oh I love you and I don’t know what to say" which gives the appearance of a growing distance between them and he knows it
Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
KarlPK

KarlPK is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Yep.
KarlPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
WreckTangle

Quote:
one of my favorite DRA tracks is Do I Wait and also my favorite off A&F and I would call the song neither happy or content haha

then I love you but i don't know what to say also to me takes away whatever happy content vibes exist on the record... song starts off with "we belong here we belong here" like he's still trying to convince himself thats true. thats the vibe i get and then the song ends with "When the night is silent and we seem so far away/ Oh I love you and I don’t know what to say" which gives the appearance of a growing distance between them and he knows it
Am I Safe always gave me a jolt. It is a pretty haunting song...especially considering MM provides some pretty haunting backing vocals.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
an old love letter

Quote:
Am I Safe always gave me a jolt. It is a pretty haunting song...especially considering MM provides some pretty haunting backing vocals.
am i safe is awesome fucking love that song haha
Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
KarlPK

KarlPK is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One of his great songs, with so much resonance.

"I've been waiting in the wings"...a theater reference, she's on stage, he's off. He's secondary to her, an appendage to her performances.

"And the clowns they park here, in the emptiness of the room" -- the social situation, the "Hollywood" scene, lots of fake miming,

"Do you watch me from the corner of your eye"....again, he's not a part of that scene, in that room, while she does the schmoozing the room demands, and he's off to the side

With all his lyrics, there is always a possibility of overthinking them, but with this one, it seems the meaning is quite clear....
KarlPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
an old love letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlPK View Post
One of his great songs, with so much resonance.

"I've been waiting in the wings"...a theater reference, she's on stage, he's off. He's secondary to her, an appendage to her performances.

"And the clowns they park here, in the emptiness of the room" -- the social situation, the "Hollywood" scene, lots of fake miming,

"Do you watch me from the corner of your eye"....again, he's not a part of that scene, in that room, while she does the schmoozing the room demands, and he's off to the side

With all his lyrics, there is always a possibility of overthinking them, but with this one, it seems the meaning is quite clear....
i agree good analysis
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
A220
junior flapjack

A220 will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking it's more of a quadrilogy.
A&F
S/T
Prisoner
A220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
WreckTangle

Quote:
am i safe is awesome fucking love that song haha
...the part where he goes "It's complicated...I just don't love you anymore...I just wanna sit here and watch it burn..." gives me chills.

I'm going to go and give S/T another listen today. I think the general undercurrent is life falling apart...not collapsing...but maybe seeing what you thought was happiness starting to unravel. It feels haunted.

Prisoner feels more like questioning what went wrong and what was my role in it?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
WreckTangle

Quote:
i agree good analysis
Yup. Good analysis.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
an old love letter

Quote:
...the part where he goes "It's complicated...I just don't love you anymore...I just wanna sit here and watch it burn..." gives me chills.
yeah thats my favorite part especially what immediately follows it (which benny yurco killed at the apollo)
Old 02-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
Redhawkcircles

Redhawkcircles will become famous soon enough

Ryan's thoughts on this - https://twitter.com/TheRyanAdams/sta...98443871010816
Redhawkcircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #15
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

I've always assumed the unreleased Glynn Johns album forms part of this too. His introduction to How Much Light at Carnegie made me think that maybe he wrote it and he didn't like the subject matter when it came to recording. His feelings had changed but the words on those recordings didn't sit right.
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #16
Durk

Durk is just really niceDurk is just really nice

Wheels were totally coming off by Am I Safe.
MM must not have had lyrics before tracking.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
WreckTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
Wheels were totally coming off by Am I Safe.
MM must not have had lyrics before tracking.
I've thought that, too. The lyrics are pretty cut and dry.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #18
WreckTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawkcircles View Post
Ha, ha! I guess that closes this thread's question!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #19
Redhawkcircles

Redhawkcircles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinm View Post
I've always assumed the unreleased Glynn Johns album forms part of this too. His introduction to How Much Light at Carnegie made me think that maybe he wrote it and he didn't like the subject matter when it came to recording. His feelings had changed but the words on those recordings didn't sit right.
I've always believed the same thing. It is obvious it was written for her but they had split when he performed it. Mandy had a cold response to that event on Twitter as well, I remember.

He had just started dating his current girlfriend (first round) at the time of this performance too.
Redhawkcircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
an old love letter

Also chains of love was a pretty obvious sign of something sour. Can't believe that didn't cross my mind earlier
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #21
TimbrH2001

TimbrH2001 has a spectacular aura aboutTimbrH2001 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by A220 View Post
I'm thinking it's more of a quadrilogy.
A&F
S/T
Prisoner
I'm thinking it's pretty much all he's ever written about

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
TimbrH2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #22
Dogfootblues

Dogfootblues will become famous soon enough

This is good solid shit here. Glad the ST is getting some more attention. I always thought that album was someone in a fucked up state, when they split the songs just opened up.

You guys are awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogfootblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #23
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Agree, it's kind of weird to think that ST was him almost more in a trapped "Prisoner" state because this relationship is clearly doomed, and Prisoner is more of "I'm free and I'm hurting...oh fuck I'm scared"...