TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Leaving Neverland

Old 03-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Leaving Neverland

Just finished watching this and thought it was really impressive piece of work. Sensible people have criticised the decidedly unhealthy relationship Jackson appeared to have with young boys for years now, so in a sense LN shouldn't come as a shock.

But the methodical grooming, both of the child and child's parents, and the devastating impact that abuse can have on the victim and their families is really expanded upon here. And it's shocking.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Leaving Neverland

Just curious, were you a fan of his music? The only album I flat out like is Thriller. I grew up listening to him.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

heres an article that compares/contrasts this with abducted in plain sight

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/leav...ain-sight.html
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Blue Hotel

Blue Hotel is an unknown quantity at this point

Disturbing and hard to watch/listen to the graphic details especially in part 1.My G/F walked out on it.But like the OP,it's great piece of work and worth watching.
Blue Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Just curious, were you a fan of his music? The only album I flat out like is Thriller. I grew up listening to him.
No, I wouldn't classify myself as a fan. I liked a lot of his music, but I've never owned one of his albums.

After I watched the doco, out of curiousity I checked out the first fanboard that came up in a Google search. Not sure whether it was indicative of his fans in general, but wow, they are a really angry group at the moment. The denial is deep.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
No, I wouldn't classify myself as a fan. I liked a lot of his music, but I've never owned one of his albums.

After I watched the doco, out of curiousity I checked out the first fanboard that came up in a Google search. Not sure whether it was indicative of his fans in general, but wow, they are a really angry group at the moment. The denial is deep.
That sounds accurate.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
heres an article that compares/contrasts this with abducted in plain sight

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/leav...ain-sight.html
That was a good read, thanks. Watching Abducted In Plain Sight, I think most people's immediate reaction to the Broberg's is "what the hell is wrong with these people?" And that's certainly a valid reaction to the mothers in LN as well. There's moment where Joy Robson recalls getting on a plane from Australia to LA with Wade and his sister, effectively splitting their family and leaving a mentally ill husband and older son behind. The last words her father said to her at the airport was "Have you lost you mind?".

In tears, she recalls how those words haunted her for years and how long it took her to admit that yes, she probably had.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

btw, if you're Aussie, you can stream it for free on 10 Play.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Just finished watching this and thought it was really impressive piece of work. Sensible people have criticised the decidedly unhealthy relationship Jackson appeared to have with young boys for years now, so in a sense LN shouldn't come as a shock.
Agreed. I mean.. it's amazing to me that anyone could think his behavior with kids was normal. I haven't seen it yet, going to watch over the weekend.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Is it only available on HBO? I was super busy in Jan, so I didn't see it at Sundance, but read a review about the audience reaction. People were very upset, in tears.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #11
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Interesting article which touches on the physical abuse Jackson himself endured as a child, and how he played on his "little boy lost" persona.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-abuser-sexual

I thought this section in particular was very good.

Quote:
It is a well-established tragic truth that one of the biggest predictors for an adult becoming an abuser is if they have been abused themselves. Psychoanalysing a stranger is a fool’s game, and with Jackson it is especially complicated because he often used cod psychoanalysis of himself as a fig leaf for the truth. He ostensibly groomed the public, as well as the parents of his victims, by insisting that his fondness for being around children had nothing to do with paedophilia, but was rather an expression of his yearning for a childhood his father had denied him. But two things can be true simultaneously: Jackson was one of the most talented performers of all time, and a predator; Jackson mourned his lost childhood, and he was a paedophile.
Sponsored Links