TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Matt Mays & El Torpedo - Terminal Romance

Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Matt Mays & El Torpedo - Terminal Romance

I don't know if anyone here has heard these guys, but it may pique the interest of a few. They have a Crazy Horse/Magnolia Electric Co sound, and their new album is scheduled for July. The first single is Tall Trees, and it's on their MySpace
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold
Re: Matt Mays & El Torpedo - Terminal Romance

I Matt Mays. Very excited for this one. I'm hoping since I live closer to Canada for part of the year that he might actually tour here sometime.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

I have his self-titled album, that someone sent me, I like it but is this much different with El Torpedo?

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

I don't have his self-titled album....so, I really can't answer that. I do know that used to be in a more country-ish band called The Guthries, who I really enjoy. The El Torpedos stuff is pretty much straight-ahead rock.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the El Torpedo stuff will be what's on his MySpace page. If you like Lonely Highway Night, City Of Lakes and Hello Highway from his first album, you'd probably like his El Torpedo stuff.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

He's touring this summer with Kid Rock so I'm hoping he does his own headlining tour after.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
littleamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
He's touring this summer with Kid Rock so I'm hoping he does his own headlining tour after.
Seriously? UGH. I guess I should be happy for him, because this will undoubtedly expose him to a larger audience. But, , I think Matt's too good for that
Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

He toured with Blue Rodeo last year for arena shows, and that was a better fit. I don't do arena shows (except for RA), but he usually does a headlining tour through Canada at smaller venues.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
littleamen

That's what I thought. I'd love to see him somewhere like First Ave or even the 400 Bar.

I hate arena shows almost as much as I hate Kid Rock. Looks like no Matty Mays for me.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
littleamen

Matt Mays - Terminal Romance

Last edited by littleamen; 06-26-2008 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: I'm retarded
Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Re: Matt Mays - Terminal Romance

Ummmm.... http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=13051

Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
littleamen

Ha. Sorry about that. I got an e-mail from them and got all excited. I should have scrolled down farther.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

It's okay, I think it slipped to the second page. We might be the only ones looking forward to this.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
littleamen

Quote:
We might be the only ones looking forward to this.
Which is a cryin' shame.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

For those who can't wait until tomorrow (or if it's not in stores where you are tomorrow), MuchMusic has the whole album streaming:

http://www.muchmusic.com/music/firstspin/mattmays/

Not sure if it's region-locked or not.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
littleamen

Quote:

Not sure if it's region-locked or not.
It's working for me.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

According to the following article, this is getting release in the US in September, and a tour (sans Kid Rock) seems likely!

Quote:
Terminal Romance will be released in the United States on September 30. Matt Mays & El Torpedo will tour incessantly in support of it for the remainder of 2008 and beyond.
http://www.pluginmusic.com/news/archive.php?id=3462
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
Wayfaringmind
Sketchy

Wayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to behold

Fuck.Yes.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
Folks, I'd like to inform you all of a change in line up for the summer tour. Since the departure of Tim Baker, and recently bassist Andy Patil, I've decided to call on some old musical friends: Dale Murray and Serge Sampson, who I started with in a group called The Guthries way back when. I also called in a Halifax friend named Damien Moynihan. Damien plays the drums for the young blues great Garrett Mason and I’ve long admired his playing.

Since this is such a new group of guys, I've decided to let the name El Torpedo go. Andy was one of the best performers I've ever seen. Getting to play next to him for seven years was nothing short of a privilege. Tim was the musical anchor of the group since early days. El Torpedo was a great band and a band that I will always be proud of. Adam Baldwin and Jay Smith will continue on and expect to see them at this summer’s gigs.

Things change, the clocks keeps pounding forward. I feel their rhythm and am desired to pound on as well. I'm inspired by newness. Fueled by change. It's like the excitement of finding a new love. The theme of my live show will remain the same. Good friends playing loud rock n' roll together. We look forward to seeing you all this summer.
- Matt.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
littleamen

Sponsored Links