Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #2376
Shadowlands96

Shadowlands96 is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I've got a soft spot for chorus for certain things. They called the space commander?! Why note the "Alt-Country R. Kelly: Stomp on your dreams"
Same here. I actually have an original JHS VCR on my board.
Shadowlands96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #2377
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

this thread is an all time winner.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #2378
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the other day about how this place reacted to everything in the past month. I thought back to how RAA and TBY responded to the stuff Ryan said while posting on RAA almost a decade ago. We got labeled as the asshole non fan board and they were the stalwarts, he felt comfortable there because they had his back.

And then I think about how TBY reacted to the news last month in general. And I have to say the general vibe of TBY has been in line with how this place has reacted to his BS for years for the most part. And thats pretty awesome. This has been a fun place for 14 years.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 AM   #2379
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands96 View Post
Same here. I actually have an original JHS VCR on my board.
Try a Vibrato pedal sometime -- much more interesting if unsophisticated -- I use the Diamond Vibrato -- it can also do chorus, if needed. Read that Tame Impala used the same pedal and bought it on the strength of that.... and it kicks ass, is much weirder and interesting than chorus while adding some of the same sweetness.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM   #2380
roscoe

roscoe is a jewel in the roughroscoe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
What Ryan song uses it a lot? From s/t or prisoner?
Pretty much any song on either of those. Solo from 'Am I Safe' for example.

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #2381
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I was thinking the other day about how this place reacted to everything in the past month. I thought back to how RAA and TBY responded to the stuff Ryan said while posting on RAA almost a decade ago. We got labeled as the asshole non fan board and they were the stalwarts, he felt comfortable there because they had his back.

And then I think about how TBY reacted to the news last month in general. And I have to say the general vibe of TBY has been in line with how this place has reacted to his BS for years for the most part. And thats pretty awesome. This has been a fun place for 14 years.
Damn right! We ahve always called his horse shit. I think some of the people taking up for him probably came from that other board. Haha
Old 03-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #2382
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
this thread is an all time winner.
itís really brought out the best in people hasnít it?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #2383
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
jesus fucking christ. ryan adams walked on this sidewalk, lets tear it up. ryan adams slept in this hotel, time to tear it down. this new sensitive society we live in is fucked. honestly i don't care if he killed one of those cunts. it doesn't change my opinion of his music
hey man. it changes my opinion of him and the music that goes with it.

been separating the man from the music for years. he's not the nicest person...never has been, never claimed to be. he's no fucking springsteen.

but guess what, for me, his actions w/ Ava have cheapened the music for me. it doesn't hold weight for me like it did.

nothing changes the fact he has written some beautiful and amazing songs....see: dear chicago, cannonball days, halloween, if i am a stranger, please do not let me go, english girls...the list goes on.

for me, i can't stomach the music RIGHT NOW. it hits a little close to home for me. i think about it from Ava and her mom's perspective...How would i like it, if i a 40 year old pursued my 15 year old daughter? i would NOT support that artist till he is able to make ammends, own up, man up and show that he can say you know what? I was a real shit bag then and I sucked and i fucked up and hurt lots of people w/ my actions and words...

someday, i'll listen to ryan again....it'll be a while, but when i do, hopefully i'll be able to remember the memories of those songs that are so closely associated w/ my brother and our adolescence and college years...hopefully, those songs wont' conjure up memories of Ava's pain and the betrayal of a man she put trust into....
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #2384
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
I just love that someone thought this was a totally reasonable thing to post.
yeah. and the sad and shitty thing about it is shamooth is actually a good guy
dumbfounded by the lack of empathy for Ava and ehr family
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #2385
Tim Simmons

I love the take that being kind and compassionate via a "new sensitive society" is a terrible thing.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #2386
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light

I do think people sometimes exploit legitimate heightened awareness as an excuse to be offended about anything and everything, but that's clearly not the case with this. Like Balvenie said, I can't imagine being Ava's parent and not wanting blood.

Anyway, Jenny Lewis' new song is out and they completely went out of their way to avoid acknowledging Ryan. That guitar work is so clearly his. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-youth-808646/
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #2387
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
I do think people sometimes exploit legitimate heightened awareness as an excuse to be offended about anything and everything, but that's clearly not the case with this. Like Balvenie said, I can't imagine being Ava's parent and not wanting blood.

Anyway, Jenny Lewis' new song is out and they completely went out of their way to avoid acknowledging Ryan. That guitar work is so clearly his. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-youth-808646/

And once again a female artist is only as good as the male contemporaries who accompany her on this track. This is one of the legitimate reasons women are so poorly represented in the music business.

Donít get me wrong, this is an all time backup band if there ever was one. And Iíll admit I was stoked when I saw Jenny and Ryan putting Instagram videos up of the recording back in 2017 - I couldnít wait to hear the album.

Sure itíll help Jenny sell a few units -- but music journos seem to take pleasure validating female artists when they have the opportunity to flex their own music credentials and approval by highlighting those notable musicians with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmorgan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #2388
oreo137

oreo137 is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, the RS article seems to have been written in response to the song being released on YouTube (link/vid in the article), which has credits in the description that read as follows:

Quote:
Benmont Tench: Vox Continental & Mellotron
Don Was: Bass
Jenny Lewis: Piano
Jim Keltner: Drums
The Section Quartet: Strings
Todd Wisenbaker: Guitar
I'd say they're just reporting the info that's available, which claims Todd played guitar on the track. Maybe RA did play guitar as well and credit was omitted by the label. For RS to speculate on that seems pointless though... that would only serve to overshadow Jenny and the song and, inevitably, that would turn into a headline when other outlets point to the RS story.
oreo137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:58 AM   #2389
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
And once again a female artist is only as good as the male contemporaries who accompany her on this track. This is one of the legitimate reasons women are so poorly represented in the music business.
Your ideology is as thick as pea soup.

I couldn't name a single person who has ever played on a Lucinda Williams track. Literally never thought about it. She has no "male contemporaries" -- it'd have to be like Neil Young playing harmonica or something to even add some spice to the imagination when listening to the song.

I admit I do enjoy thinking about Buddy Miller playing guitar behind Emmylou Harris -- because it validates him, not the other way around. Indeed that's like 95% of my interest in Buddy Miller. It's at about the level of my interest in a guitar pedal because somebody played with it -- oh, maybe I should check that guy out....

I also am excited by the history of Emmylou and Gram Parsons, though. I guess that makes me a misogynist. Or maybe Gram is, you know (like Emmylou) one of the icons of American music. Take your pick.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:26 AM   #2390
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Quote:
what's bullshit about people like you is you create this entirely fictional universe where women musicians are not respected in order to fuel your political agenda, when nothing could be further from the truth... and it's repeated ad nauseum in an attempt to actually make it true, because you WANT women artists to be disrespected because your political agenda is so much more important to you than the women who you feign to represent. (You don't represent anybody, except yourself...and it's about time to figure that out.)

Old 03-16-2019, 02:31 AM   #2391
dmorgan1

Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Steve Earl played on Car Wheels on a Gravel Road so I guess you must have missed the hype about that at the time.

The way youíve take great offence at my observation surprises to be honest and actually quite hilarious. It was pointed out as an industry issue not really your personal record collection.

But I canít fucked arguing with you. You either missed my point entirely or itís you thick as pea soup.

Last edited by dmorgan1; 03-16-2019 at 03:10 AM..
Old 03-16-2019, 03:05 AM   #2392
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Quote:
Steve Earl played on Car Wheels on a Gravel Road so I guess you must have missed the hype about that at the time.

The way Youíve take great offence at my observation surprises to be honest and actually quite hilarious. It wasnít pointed out as an industry issue not really your personal record collection.

But I canít fucked arguing with you. You either missed my point entirely or itís you thick as pea soup.

the Pogues played on Steve Earl's most famous record... way more impressive

yeah I missed the hype... because I'm into Lucinda Williams for her own genius not some dude who strummed a Martin in the background... color me bored

proofread your shit... not even going to get into the details
Old 03-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #2393
a devil in paradise
massively dull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaPwdgezWI
Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #2394
Dan33185

Dan33185 is a jewel in the roughDan33185 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It still amazes me there are people like you out there.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #2395
sleigher

sleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of light

ďOn the LineĒ was made in stages, and features production by Ryan Adams and Beck, working separately. In the days before this interview, Adams was accused of emotionally abusing and harassing female musicians.

Lewis says her relationship with Adams was strictly professional and is reluctant to say much more, but this is basically what happened: Adams began work on Lewisís last album, 2014ís ďThe Voyager,Ē but could not be persuaded to finish. Lewis reenlisted him to produce ďOn the Line,Ē hoping things would work out differently. They didnít.

ďWe began the record together two years ago, and after five or six days in the studio we stopped working together,Ē Lewis says, carefully. ďI took the record and finished those songs without him, and then went in the studio with Beck to record the rest of the songs.Ē

It was not an amicable break. ďI was left in the lurch, and again this happens to me in my life, where Iím faced with getting back to myself and refocusing,Ē she says.

The juxtaposition between Adams and Beck, one of rockís all-time reasonable men, was stark. ďThere are these figures that come along when Iím engaged in these unhealthy creative relationships,Ē Lewis says, ďand they appear just long enough to say: ĎYou can do this on your own. Youíre good. I can help you, but itís yours.í Ē

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.683245c4642a
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #2396
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Donít get me wrong, this is an all time backup band if there ever was one. And Iíll admit I was stoked when I saw Jenny and Ryan putting Instagram videos up of the recording back in 2017 - I couldnít wait to hear the album.

Sure itíll help Jenny sell a few units -- but music journos seem to take pleasure validating female artists when they have the opportunity to flex their own music credentials and approval by highlighting those notable musicians with her.

I feel like there are numerous female artists who are not "only as good as their male contemporaries". Brandi Carlile, Julien Baker, Liz Phair...I don't know any of the men who accompany them.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #2397
dmorgan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I feel like there are numerous female artists who are not "only as good as their male contemporaries". Brandi Carlile, Julien Baker, Liz Phair...I don't know any of the men who accompany them.

Brandi Carlile is accompanied by the Hanseroth twins. But I think their fame has come through her.

Iím surprised so many are fighting me on this. If you generally donít think thereís a problem with the way women are reported or underreported in the music then take another look next time youíre reading RS or Pitchfork or whatever.

The example used earlier in this thread referring to Phoebe Bridgers as the ďRyan Adams approved Phoebe BridgersĒ is not the only one.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #2398
Tim Simmons

It is 100% a problem. I agree with you. I don't think that particular RS article is a very good example though. Its a 4 paragraph (?) article and only 1 is devoted to her backing band (who are people of note - so it certainly bears mentioning), the rest is about her and celebrates her talent.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #2399
sleigher

sleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of light

no longer able to post in the buy/sell forum

so - apologies for highjacking this thread - but im selling all of my ryan etc 7" vinyl - including:

1984 SOLD
class mythology SOLD
come home//starsign SOLD
do i wait//darkness SOLD
do you laugh when you lie
gimme something good//aching for more
heartbreak a stranger//black sheets of rain SOLD
jacksonville
no shadow
vampires

pornography / seven minutes in heaven SOLD

whiskeytown / san antone//the great divide SOLD

heres a link: https://www.ebay.com/usr/smith403?_t...p2047675.l2559

Last edited by sleigher; 03-18-2019 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: updated list
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #2400
dmorgan1

Quote:
It is 100% a problem. I agree with you. I don't think that particular RS article is a very good example though. Its a 4 paragraph (?) article and only 1 is devoted to her backing band (who are people of note - so it certainly bears mentioning), the rest is about her and celebrates her talent.

No it wasnít a great example Iíll admit. The calibre of talent the backing band on this album is hard to ignore. I get why the sub heading needed to dial that up but again there was likely a handful of other things that could have said too.

Given their presence on the entire album, Iím guessing her forth single will still have those references tied to it as well. Just like the first three.

As someone who has been linked with Ryan and with the NYT article so recent itís impossible for writers to ignore asking her about her experience with him. Itís a bit of an elephant in the room situation. But I still think itís an issue that they need to raise the Ryan Adams thing when weíre supposed to be talking about HER album.

Maybe Iím reaching. Iíve thought this for a while now and I see it evidenced everywhere- even in small doses.

Sponsored Links