TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion > Tour Discussion > Archive > 2016
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Enmore Theatre, Sydney - December 6

Old 12-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #26
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all
Re: Enmore Theatre, Sydney - December 6

That's the same review I gave the Shining before they started to get it together.

Not fair to tease adding "Goodnight Rose" to the set and then never play it.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #27
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. Agree with previous comments about a couple of songs being over-egged - Peaceful Valley in particular was probably begging for mercy by the end.

The new tunes sounded mostly promising, with a couple having a definite Springsteen vibe. I can't say any of them leapt out at me, but it could be that more than one listen is required. Ryan sounded fantastic and was obviously in a very good mood. He was funny, engaging and not even his amp breaking seem to fluster him. Those of us who have been following him for a long time will remember when even the slightest onstage distraction could cause a tantrum, so he's certainly a changed man in that regard.

He mentioned being nervous about performing in Sydney again, laughing that Sydney audiences always gave him a hard time in the past. I'm pretty sure that pattern was broken last night though, as he had the audience in the palm of his hand.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #28
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Was haunted House and to be without you full band or acoustic?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #29
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
Was haunted House and to be without you full band or acoustic?
Full band, I think. Spent a bit of time at a bar before the show, so my memory might be slightly hazy, ha. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #30
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Dope can't wait to hear those versions
Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #31
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Agreed. I'm so excited to hear Haunted House on the record and with the band. So much potential there. Very cool little song.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #32
an old love letter

Man I really thought there'd be some videos of the new stuff by now lol
Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #33
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

Sort of bummed that he didn't shake up the classics rotation a bit with the new band. I was hopeful that, since these guys hadn't already learned the now standard list of old stuff, he might rehearse something totally different with them.

So many things begging to be back in rotation, even formerly heavily played tracks like Bartering Lines, Love Is Hell, etc. I do recognize that this is just the beginning, so hopefully he'll add more stuff as time goes on. Didn't really happen with The Shining, though. I do love the new stuff I've heard and I actually think that Ryan might be hitting his personal pinnacle as a performer. I saw lots of Cardinals shows and thought that, when they were on, they could hang with any band of the past 20 years. That being said, I'm not entirely convinced the Ryan/Stringdusters show I saw at the Cap wasn't the best RA show I've ever seen.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #34
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
Sort of bummed that he didn't shake up the classics rotation a bit with the new band. I was hopeful that, since these guys hadn't already learned the now standard list of old stuff, he might rehearse something totally different with them.

So many things begging to be back in rotation, even formerly heavily played tracks like Bartering Lines, Love Is Hell, etc. I do recognize that this is just the beginning, so hopefully he'll add more stuff as time goes on. Didn't really happen with The Shining, though. I do love the new stuff I've heard and I actually think that Ryan might be hitting his personal pinnacle as a performer. I saw lots of Cardinals shows and thought that, when they were on, they could hang with any band of the past 20 years. That being said, I'm not entirely convinced the Ryan/Stringdusters show I saw at the Cap wasn't the best RA show I've ever seen.
Feeling this. Certainly missing that old spontenaity - it's one of the things that drew me to Ryan's stuff originally, that he'd play a pretty random set almost every night, and if not changing the songs, at the very least playing or singing them in new and different ways to keep it fresh/interesting. But, at the same time, like you said, this band is new (and The Shining was relatively newish too), but also... mixing it up so much has got to be hard work. ALSO... Ryan's changed now. He seems to be more audience-aware and appreciative and knows what people wanna hear, generally speaking.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #35
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

There does seem to be a bit of variation from The Shining days though. Am I right in saying that 'I just Might' was very rarely played? Think it's one of my favourites from the s/t. 'I love you but...' is another one you don't hear too often.

Times like this I miss the old answering bell website!
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #36
an old love letter

Hopefully he'll surprise us w some more blackhole tunes w the tour next year aka Catherine and the door
Old 12-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #37
LoadedLikeFreights

LoadedLikeFreights will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinm View Post
There does seem to be a bit of variation from The Shining days though. Am I right in saying that 'I just Might' was very rarely played? Think it's one of my favourites from the s/t. 'I love you but...' is another one you don't hear too often.

Times like this I miss the old answering bell website!
http://comepickmeup.org/ seems to do a pretty good job of tracking these things. Looks like "I Just Might" has been played 19 times and "I Love You But..." 45 times

http://comepickmeup.org/?page_id=171...20Just%20Might

http://comepickmeup.org/?page_id=171...hat%20To%20Say
LoadedLikeFreights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #38
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Benny Yurco's playing on this Outbound Train is so tactful and perfect. Just a killer performance from all of them.

So excited to watch this new band grow.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links