TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 05-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #3001
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie Recommendations

Okay, just got back from Green Room. It's excellent, very gripping and pleasantly unpredictable. I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen if possible. If director Jeremy Saulnier isn't signed to a major studio to make big budget thrillers very soon, Hollywood is dumber than I thought.
He's a real talent.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 AM   #3002
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray for another Jeff Nichols film. Hot on the heels of Midnight Special comes Loving, which is reportedly getting rave reviews in Cannes. The premise sounds fascinating - can't wait for this one to be released.

Quote:
CANNES, France — In “Loving,” which was unveiled here on Monday to raves, the director Jeff Nichols tells the story of Richard and Mildred Loving, the interracial couple whose 1958 marriage broke Virginia’s anti-miscegenation law and eventually led to the landmark Supreme Court ruling that deemed marriage a human right.

“I truly believe this is one of the most pure love stories in American history,” Mr. Nichols said at a news conference here on Monday about the white Southern construction worker, played by the Australian actor Joel Edgerton, and his African-American wife, played by the Ethiopian-Irish actress Ruth Negga.

The Lovings wed in Washington, and returned to their native Virginia, only to be arrested. Their prison sentences were suspended on the condition that they leave the state for 25 years, a ruling they eventually defied. As the civil rights movement gained momentum, the A.C.L.U. took on their case, and in 1967 the Supreme Court ruled in their favor in Loving v. Virginia.

“The court case is fascinating; how these lawyers got this case to the Supreme Court could make a movie in and of itself,” said Mr. Nichols, who also wrote the screenplay. “I didn’t want to make that movie,” he added. “I wanted to make a movie about two people in love.”

The film has received strong reviews, with critics noting Mr. Nichols’s understated direction and strong performances by Mr. Edgerton and Ms. Negga. At the news conference, Ms. Negga was asked if she was ready to win an Academy Award.

She said that “Loving” was “the most important film I’ve ever made and one of the most important films in history, I think.” Ms. Negga, who appeared in “The Samaritan” (2012) with Samuel L. Jackson, was also in “12 Years a Slave,” but didn’t make the film’s final cut. “That was one of the most difficult phone calls I received,” she said. “But things balance out.”

“Loving” takes an intimate, oblique approach, focusing on the couple more than the larger currents of history. “There are certain moments that a lesser screenwriter or someone really drawn into the patina of Hollywood might have rearranged the truth in order to make it more Hollywood,” Mr. Edgerton said. “Let’s have them high-fiving their children in the courtroom and having a party to celebrate,” he added.

“Loving” is the second film by the director to make its debut at the Cannes Film Festival, after “Mud” (unveiled in 2012). His “Midnight Special” is now in theaters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/mo...buzz.html?_r=0
Old 05-18-2016, 03:28 AM   #3003
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Sydneyfan, you speak my movie language. Midnight Special was my most anticipated film of 2016, and, as has always been the case with Jeff Nichols films, I was not left disappointed. The dude is easily one of the best filmmakers working today. As you said, his are very human films, often quite simple stories, but through beautiful writing and attention to character (and great actors - Michael Shannon, anyone?), he is able to evoke such an emotional response in me that I will watch whatever he does. Loving will be amazing, again, no doubt.

Also wanted to say that Green Room was another film I've been looking forward to this year, so glad to hear that it is as great as I was hoping it'd be. How did you see this? Didn't even know it was playing in Australia yet/at all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #3004
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I can't wait to see Midnight Special.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #3005
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I can't wait to see Midnight Special.
you don't have to wait

you can dl it at torrentday
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #3006
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Sydneyfan, you speak my movie language. Midnight Special was my most anticipated film of 2016, and, as has always been the case with Jeff Nichols films, I was not left disappointed. The dude is easily one of the best filmmakers working today. As you said, his are very human films, often quite simple stories, but through beautiful writing and attention to character (and great actors - Michael Shannon, anyone?), he is able to evoke such an emotional response in me that I will watch whatever he does. Loving will be amazing, again, no doubt.

Also wanted to say that Green Room was another film I've been looking forward to this year, so glad to hear that it is as great as I was hoping it'd be. How did you see this? Didn't even know it was playing in Australia yet/at all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I saw it at the Dendy in Newtown (Sydney). Dendy are a small independent cinema chain, and judging from the promotional posters they ran on Green Room, they somehow got first bite at the film. Not sure whether they have any outlets in Adelaide. I assume it will get a wider release later on. It certainly deserves to.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 AM   #3007
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

So I enjoyed the hell out of The Nice Guys. Loved the 70's setting and the way the film relishes and reflects the lack of political correctness of that era. Gosling and Crowe are both really good and have a surprisingly strong buddy chemistry. Took me a while to realise the young actress playing Gosling's daughter is the same girl who starred as Rose in the Oz-apocalypse flick These Final Hours. She's a natural and steals the show on occasions. Good fun.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #3008
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

My brother saw that and also had nothing but high praise. I need to see it next.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #3009
JackStark211

I watched Neon Demon yesterday. I know it isn't for everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 AM   #3010
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I watched Neon Demon yesterday. I know it isn't for everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it.
Where would you place it compared to Drive and Only God Forgives?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #3011
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Where would you place it compared to Drive and Only God Forgives?
It isn't as accessible as Drive, and not as out there as Only God Forgives. Stylistically it has more in common with OGF, with beautiful colors and ambient sounds. You can tell Susperia was an influence on the film. As with any of his films, it seems more style than story. I think the acting was great.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #3012
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
It isn't as accessible as Drive, and not as out there as Only God Forgives. Stylistically it has more in common with OGF, with beautiful colors and ambient sounds. You can tell Susperia was an influence on the film. As with any of his films, it seems more style than story. I think the acting was great.
Thanks, I look forward to seeing it. The Suspiria influence has me intrigued.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #3013
JackStark211

Did you like Only God Forgives?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #3014
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Did you like Only God Forgives?
No, not really. I loved the look of it, of course, but I thought the was acting was overly stylized and the plot a bit ridiculous. I much preferred Drive. Still, his films are always worth a watch because he's prepared to really push the envelope every time.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #3015
JackStark211

Quote:
No, not really. I loved the look of it, of course, but I thought the was acting was overly stylized and the plot a bit ridiculous. I much preferred Drive. Still, his films are always worth a watch because he's prepared to really push the envelope every time.
Yep.

It was funny because my wife and I shared the theater with only 2 other people. It has been a long time since I've sat in an empty theater.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:33 AM   #3016
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Anyone watched The Invitation? I thought it was terrific. It's available on Netflix.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #3017
JackStark211

Quote:
Anyone watched The Invitation? I thought it was terrific. It's available on Netflix.
Oh yeah. Very great movie.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #3018
Potion09

Potion09 has a spectacular aura aboutPotion09 has a spectacular aura about

Is it on Netflix in the U.S? I went looking for it a month or so ago and it wasn't there. Definitely want to see it though.
Potion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #3019
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Swiss army man is fucking fantastic

So dark and funny and moving
Old 07-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #3020
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potion09 View Post
Is it on Netflix in the U.S? I went looking for it a month or so ago and it wasn't there. Definitely want to see it though.
Probably is. It only appeared on Australian Netflix a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #3021
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
Swiss army man is fucking fantastic

So dark and funny and moving
The trailer looks bizarre but intriguing.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #3022
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The trailer looks bizarre but intriguing.
If you liked or have seen withnail and I you're pretty much guaranteed to like Swiss army
Old 07-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #3023
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
If you liked or have seen withnail and I you're pretty much guaranteed to like Swiss army
Absolutely love Withnail and I. Looks like I need to see this.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #3024
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

So, I enjoyed La La Land way more than I thought I would. A homage to old school Hollywood musicals is normally the sort of concept that would have me running from the theatre, but La La Land is smart enough to embrace the hokey aspects of the genre and turn them into a positive.

The songs are pretty forgettable imo, but the direction is bold and enthusiastic, and both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are just perfect in their roles. They were the best thing about Crazy Stupid Love, and that believable chemistry between the two of them really carries this film.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #3025
an old love letter

I watched a single man a few weeks ago. what an amazing film that plays with memory in a deeply moving way. can't get the film out of my head.