TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 01-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #3151
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie Recommendations

I was really pleased that Three Billboards did so well at the Golden Globes. Nice to see an "indie" kind of film get mainstream plaudits.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #3152
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I was really pleased that Three Billboards did so well at the Golden Globes. Nice to see an "indie" kind of film get mainstream plaudits.
me too syd
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #3153
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

really looking forward to this one
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #3154
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

this looks like it could be duncan jones best film since moon
Old 01-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #3155
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Good day for trailers.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #3156
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt I'm in a minority, but I did not like The Shape Of Water at all.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #3157
sleigher

stoked!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #3158
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
thank god you said it first.

i fucking hated it.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #3159
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post

stoked!
Loved his first film, Beyond the Black Rainbow.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #3160
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Loved his first film, Beyond the Black Rainbow.
same - geeked that hes said this is a 'companion piece'
Old 01-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #3161
sleigher

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
thank god you said it first. i fucking hated it.
it seems like a slightly more creepy version of splash

is it del toros worst movie?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #3162
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
it seems like a slightly more creepy version of splash

is it del toros worst movie?
It's the worst one I've seen at least. I didn't watch Pacific Rim or the Hellboy flicks. Crimson Peak was disappointing, but it had some merits. Michael Shannon is the only good thing going for this one. I just couldn't take the whole falling in love with Guppy-Man thing seriously.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 AM   #3163
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:

Havenít seen it but was on the fence anyway - the trailer did nothing for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:13 AM   #3164
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Really enjoyed I, Tonya. Margot Robbie and the always wonderful Allison Janney really raise the film to a higher level with great performances. It no doubt plays hard and fast with the facts (and to be fair, admits as much right from the outset), but it's very entertaining and blackly funny.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:02 AM   #3165
sleigher

this was much better than i was lead to believe - really enjoyed it
Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #3166
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

The Killing of a Sacred Deer was weird fun.

I see the same director did The Lobster, a film I haven't seen yet but recently bought for dirt cheap because I'd heard it was good. That's up next.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #3167
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
The Killing of a Sacred Deer was weird fun.

I see the same director did The Lobster, a film I haven't seen yet but recently bought for dirt cheap because I'd heard it was good. That's up next.
the lobster is very good - he also did the very excellent dogtooth
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #3168
sleigher

this was a lot of fun - ive already watched it a few times
Old 02-07-2018, 12:52 AM   #3169
sleigher

never even knew this film existed until today - has anyone seen it? worth watching?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #3170
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

never even knew this film existed until today - has anyone seen it? worth watching?
I enjoyed it. It's gritty. Written by Cormac McCarthy. Directed by Ridley Scott.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:14 AM   #3171
GabLynch

GabLynch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the lobster is very good - he also did the very excellent dogtooth
I might check these out as well.
GabLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #3172
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

So, Mute (Netflix) was a big dud. Sort of like a confused, discount-store version of Blade Runner. The movie should have just focused solely on Paul Rudd and Justin Theroux, they were by far the most engaging characters and the only thing that made the film watchable. Pity, because Moon is such a gem.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #3173
JackStark211

Quote:
So, Mute (Netflix) was a big dud. Sort of like a confused, discount-store version of Blade Runner. The movie should have just focused solely on Paul Rudd and Justin Theroux, they were by far the most engaging characters and the only thing that made the film watchable. Pity, because Moon is such a gem.
Yeah. I agree with you 100%. Towards the end I just wanted it to be over.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:49 AM   #3174
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Yeah. I agree with you 100%. Towards the end I just wanted it to be over.
Yeah, it really dragged. The whole futuristic setting seemed pretty much a waste of time too - the central part of the storyline could have just as easily been set in the present.

One film I really did enjoy however was The Florida Project. Just a really sensitive and honest look at childhood and poverty. Should have been nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, imo. Willem Dafoe is terrific and the little girl is a scene stealer.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #3175
JackStark211

The wife and I went to see Annihilation this weekend. What a hell of a movie. I love the source material and though this was a great loose adaptation. My wife went in not know anything about it and she was blown away by the end. Just a beautiful mind trip of a movie. Unlike anything being made at this time. Very inspired by Tarkovsky. I was tempted to place this in the horror thread because it also falls into that category. Anyone else see it?