TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion > Tour Discussion > Archive > 2011
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

State Theatre, Minneapolis MN (December 13th, 2011)

Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold
State Theatre, Minneapolis MN (December 13th, 2011)

Setlist

Oh My Sweet Carolina
Ashes & Fire
If I am a Stranger
Dirty Rain
Winding Wheel
Blue Manhattan
Everybody Knows
Invisible Riverside
Firecracker
Sylvia Plath
Let it Ride
Dear Chicago
Houses On the Hill
Do I Wait
Chains of Love
16 Days
Lucky Now
Two
New York, New York
Crossed Out Name
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Come Pick Me Up

encore
Round and Round
Black Sheets of Rain

Last edited by J_Bizness; 12-16-2011 at 12:00 AM..
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold
Re: State Theatre, Minneapolis MN (December 13th, 2011)

Not the normal TBY MN contingent going tonight?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Won't be making it up there.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

I'll have to heckle extra for those of you who can't make it.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

I wanted to be there...sadly, Georgia is a long way from Minneapolis. Heckle loud. I kid. I hope it's a spectacular show and he can kick the MPLS curse.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

I wont be in attendance. I hope it goes well.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

It was a great show! He played for about 2 hours and 25 minutes! He made some hilarious comments and played so nice!
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

Great show. Reminded of the Heartbreaker tour. If I Was A Stranger, Houses On The Hill, Let It RIde, & Please Do Not Let Me Go were the stand outs for me. He voice sounded great I thought, especially on the new songs.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

Star Tribune Review

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...135555418.html

Spoiler:
Quote:
Ryan Adams in a mellow State

You could have heard a pin drop throughout most of Ryan Adams' concert Tuesday night at the State Theatre. More important, you didn't have to worry so much that the other shoe would drop.

A far cry from the last time he was in town -- a full-volume set at Target Center opening for Oasis nearly three years ago to the day -- the brilliant and often bratty North Carolina-reared singer/songwriter stripped down to the bare minimum and was on his best behavior Tuesday.

The sold-out 2 1/2-hour solo performance was a decidedly mellow and strictly all-acoustic affair, matching the intimate style of the Americana rocker's mature new album, "Ashes & Fire." One of the best singer/songwriters of his generation, he came equipped with only two guitars, a piano and harmonica -- and very little of the notorious emotional baggage that ruined his last appearance at the State in 2007.

Fans got a reminder that this was the new, happily married and reportedly rehabilitated Adams, 37, on their way into the show: The theater did not serve alcohol at the request of the singer's handlers.

The first few songs also made it clear this wasn't a party. Before the blue-note opener, "Oh My Sweet Carolina," Adams joked that "flames would shoot out of the monitors." Instead, that one and the subsequent "Ashes & Fire" slow-simmered with elegance.

Fans were on edge early as Adams threatened to flare over an uncooperative guitar ("It doesn't like the cold," he said). Things got tense enough for one guy to yell out, "Don't worry!" in the cheerleader vein of Al Franken's Stuart Smiley.

Adams played it cool, though, and was arguably too laid back. He talked at length between songs about everything from a nearby arcade he once went in on mushrooms (the long-gone GameWorks?) to how long it takes to get to the beach from his house in Los Angeles ("two AC/DC albums," he reported).

His quips added some welcome levity to what was sometimes a dour and prosaic set. The new songs "Do I Wait" and "Invisible Riverside" dragged, and the typically uplifting "New York, New York" was turned lifeless on piano. Adams himself even joked how drab the opening piano part of "My Blue Manhattan" sounded: "I thought I'd pick things up," he cracked.

There were plenty of uplifting moments, though. The rootsy new "Dirty Rain" and older faves "Dear Chicago" and "Let It Ride" especially rang out beautifully in the ornate and still theater. Fans also ate up "16 Days" and "Houses on the Hill," two nuggets from Adams' old band Whiskeytown. But it's really true everyone just seemed pleased that the singer seemed happy -- if still a bit discombobulated.

"I love your OCD," one guy hollered at Adams, who might have erupted over that in past years. Instead, he retorted, "Which CD?"

In more ways than one: nice comeback, Ryan.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
allmyfriends77
Cool as lemonade

allmyfriends77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gorgeous Potatoes

That's all I need to say.

I wish last night never ended. That was absolutely amazing.
allmyfriends77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

okay
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The theater did not serve alcohol at the request of the singer's handlers.
Have all the other shows on the tour been dry?

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
alcohol in lobby only in Chicago
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
just out of curiosity, does it matter?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago was dry.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Boston fucked it up for the rest of us. POS city.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

haha!
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post
just out of curiosity, does it matter?
A little early for the snark.

I was wondering if it was to thwart his usual perceived "Drive-Thru Beer Hut" problems with MPLS.

"Don't let the Minnesotans get drunk. They get weird."

Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
A little early for the snark.

I was wondering if it was to thwart his usual perceived "Drive-Thru Beer Hut" problems with MPLS.

"Don't let the Minnesotans get drunk. They get weird."
Actually there was no snark intended. I was legitimately asking if it mattered. I usually like getting a drink or three at a concert, but I'm not sure it would ruin my evening if there wasn't any.

I guess what prompted my comment was that there were people being critical of his shows on Twitter due to the lack of alcohol, which I didn't fully understand.

Again, no snark intended.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

Wok doesn't want his right for drunkenness infringed upon.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #21
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Sorry, Gil.

I was just wondering, too. I wasn't sure if it was the norm, or like I said, a punishment to Minneapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyglass View Post
Wok doesn't want his right for drunkenness infringed upon.
MPLS music is built on empty cases of beer.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #22
plath

Quote:
No alcohol at the UK shows in June, either. I had a water bottle filled with gin and ginger ale for the show in Dublin but sat parched and dying for a cig the whole way through Glasgow. I think alcohol compliments RA's music so much, especially the Whiskeytown songs. I can understand he doesn't want people tripping up and down to the bar, causing annoyance. But I do think a balance should be found.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
MPLS music is built on empty cases of beer.
Just like most other cities.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #24
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Just like most other cities.
Not the same.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #25
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Okay.
Sponsored Links