TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Fake news? - Perceptions of the media

View Poll Results: Overall, I think the state of news journalism in my country is....
Generally fine. Nothing is perfect, but most journalists are professionals 6 42.86%
Pretty ordinary and getting worse. You really need to be discerning. 4 28.57%
Terrible. It has systemic problems and is generally not to be trusted 4 28.57%
I do not believe anything I read/see in the mainstream media 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Fake news? - Perceptions of the media

I noticed in all the discussions/meltdowns that arose from the current RA drama, several people strongly criticising the role of the news media. In the age of Trump and fake news, I was curious about people's views on the current state of journalism in their respective countries.

Poll is pretty self-explanatory, feel free to expand on your views. Note I'm asking about media coverage in general, not specifically about media coverage of Ryan.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:58 AM   #2
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough
Re: Fake news? - Perceptions of the media

Read this interesting article yesterday.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/this-1...rHDBlknVmSEb0A
Old 03-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I've not watched the news in years.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Its weird and complex time for news for certain. With billionaire owners, or massive corporations owning publications and channels, I think most news outlets have an angle or leaning in terms of what gets covered. Unfortunately it opens most outlets to attack over bias. And in the past two years its gotten worse, where if you disagree or dislike anything, it gets labeled as "Fake News". The attempt to maximize entertainment/viewership/sales makes this worse.

That being said, I think most reporters are professionals and work hard to report the story with the known facts with integrity and the ethical standards of reporting. I think as long as it continues, the media is still legitimate.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest fear from the Fake News era is if we can't believe or trust facts and the reporting of those facts, whats real? What makes anything legitimate?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Whatever_etc7

Whatever_etc7 is infamous around these parts

Well, sort of fake news always existed I think.
Just if you think about German history during WWII the power of media was effective. Therefore I think itīs healthy to be critical and to observe how news are reported if youīre interested in the news.
Wasn`t media always divided into serious journalism and gossip journalism?
But since 9/11 journalism I saw a massive change and since then I try often to avoid news. I noticed that sensation news with special reports increased which I canīt handle with it as I donīt find any pleasure to see other peoples pain or journalists try to report news without further informations.
I grew up in the 70īs & 80`s before the area of 24h TV-channels and the Internet and I would say TV at that time were less dramatic.
Actually I barely watch nowadays TV anymore even I was once quite a TV-junkie back in my early days.
As mentioned fake news always existed but the way we have access and consume news changed very much.
Whatever_etc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Yeah, its always existed in some form. But its only fairly recently, where people hear something on NBC or read the Washington Post and because it clashes with their worldview they deem it fake.

Its probably lazy, but I really feel like the explosion of Fox News post 9/11 really brought us to this point.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
My biggest fear from the Fake News era is if we can't believe or trust facts and the reporting of those facts, whats real? What makes anything legitimate?
Yep, this is what it ultimately comes down to I think.

There's no doubt mainstream media standards have fallen in recent years, mainly as a response to challenges from social media and "new media". Too often respected outlets have succumbed to clickbait headlines and editorialising.

But equally, when many people complain about "fake news" what they really mean is "what I reading/watching does not agree with my world view". Its not necessarily truth or accuracy they are after - its agreement and reinforcement of their political/social opinions. Social media echo chambers just further reinforce their cosy information bubble.

You've only got to witness how populist leaders around the world (Trump is the master) will whip up anti-media sentiment. Corbyn in the UK recently gave (an increasingly rare) interview where he decried that the mainstream media did't ask him the sort of questions he wanted to answer anymore. It suits populists from both the left and right to undermine people's faith in big institutions - including the media and the political process itself. That way, its easier for a leader to convince the voters that they - and they alone- have truth on their side and all the answers.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I thought this article might be posted here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/o...arization.html
Old 03-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Good read. Thanks Jack
Old 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's a solid article. Oddly enough I heard a fairly similar argument from a fellow talking about maintaining family relationships. Lack of fighting probably means important shit is getting bottled. But arguing with contempt sullies the ability to hash out differences.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #12
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post

Its probably lazy, but I really feel like the explosion of Fox News post 9/11 really brought us to this point.
IDK if it's lazy or not, but I think this is a huge part of it. My dad is a Fox News watcher, my mother has been calling it "hate TV" since the early 2000s. (Well, ok, during the Gulf War it was all patriotism all the time, then during the Obama admin it because Hate Tv.) They keep going lower and lower, and I think it's contributed to taking our discourse lower and lower. Whenever I happen to see anything on Fox I'm flabbergasted by the violent communication.

I also don't watch MSNBC or CNN, I guess I watch CNN during election returns. PBS Newshour is about all I can stand, and I don't watch that either. I very rarely watch local news.

I try to read news, and I try not to read opinion pieces more than actual news items so that I'm not ingesting someone else's opinion. I'm getting too in the habit of skimming, but that's my own problem...

I care about the neutrality of my sources. I don't click on shared articles unless it's a reputable source, no HuffPo, no ActBlue, no Occupy Democrats. I do read NYTimes, and my local paper. Some things do get mishandled: Washington Post and the incident in with the Covington Maga hat kids. I think those things get mishandled because of the stress on getting clicks and getting them fast. And I think consumer demand for that has created the problem, at least in part.

That's how I've consumed news in my adulthood. Listening to Rush Limbaugh in the 90s, with my dad, hearing talk radio morph into Fox News, it all turned me off from all those news channels.
(But then I hear some Fox news thing thrown out into conversation and it seems to be something all the RWers know about, and I have to go google it because that particular RW outrage item didn't make it to my awareness.)

I assume there's a consumer demand for this kind of news cycle. I hate going to the gym, or a doctor's office, or oil change where they have constant news playing. It's so overstimulating even when the volume is down. The stock ticker, the chyron, it's just too much. omg, the commercials! Who can watch that stuff???
But then again, I'm always surprised about the ratings of reality shows. People watch that crap??? Oh god yes they do.

All that to say, I've already curated my media to outlets that I more or less trust. So it's hard to answer the question, do you trust the media, since the media is enormous.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
ViolaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I thought this article might be posted here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/o...arization.html
Yes, thank you.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
JackStark211

You all are most welcome.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
All that to say, I've already curated my media to outlets that I more or less trust. So it's hard to answer the question, do you trust the media, since the media is enormous.

Yes, I think I've done that to an extent as well. Nobody gets it right every-time, but there are some outlets who clearly do attempt to be reasonable,as opposed to those who are just pushing an agenda.

Having said that, in the last couple of years I've made some attempt to think outside my own head-space a little and I will read stuff from people or sources that I usually really disagree with. Often, it gives you a more rounded perspective on a particular issue, and occasionally I even learn something that might make me change my position.

I'm someone who tends to be most comfortable taking the centre ground on most contentious issues, so I do try to push myself occasionally and at least scan how those to the left and right of me are reacting.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
ViolaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Yes, I think I've done that to an extent as well. Nobody gets it right every-time, but there are some outlets who clearly do attempt to be reasonable,as opposed to those who are just pushing an agenda.

Having said that, in the last couple of years I've made some attempt to think outside my own head-space a little and I will read stuff from people or sources that I usually really disagree with. Often, it gives you a more rounded perspective on a particular issue, and occasionally I even learn something that might make me change my position.

I'm someone who tends to be most comfortable taking the centre ground on most contentious issues, so I do try to push myself occasionally and at least scan how those to the left and right of me are reacting.
Yes, same, I try. I followed Wall St Journal for a while on FB, I usually think for the most part they're right leaning but not off the hook. Some of the articles were ok but the opinion pieces were getting to be unhinged. So I unfollowed. And on FB/Twitter the pieces that get pushed most often are the opinion pieces, which is too bad. Fuel-meet fire!

ETA: i have to draw the line at Fox News, though. I just can't with them.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
JackStark211

Quote:

I think that is healthy. I wish I could convince my middle brother of this. He is stuck in an echo chamber.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #18
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I think that is healthy. I wish I could convince my middle brother of this. He is stuck in an echo chamber.
Ha, well the one thing it has taught me is that the hard left and the hard right hate those in the centre far more than than hate each other. Which at first glance seems odd, until I realised that extremists of all stripes have more in common with each other than they will admit to.

What's your brother hung up about, if you don't mind me asking. Trump?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:38 PM   #19
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point

You're conflating comments about entertainment media (which has almost no standards whatsoever -- said having worked in it somewhat and being completely disgusted with the defamation of character I was being asked to participate in at times -- I've literally said "you can't put my name on this") with serious news reporting.

I listen to CNN in the car. While I am probably more liberal than CNN I cannot deny that 80% of what they put on the air is breathless speculation about Trump. It takes a lot of listening before you snap out of it and realize all they are doing is guessing about what's really going on behind such and such scant tidbit of information.

If there is a big international story I tend to read the BBC and Al-Jazeera on it just to get a viewpoint outside of our little American fishbowl. I literally do not watch news on tv unless there is a live event happening that I want to rubberneck at.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #20
ViolaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by a devil in paradise View Post

I listen to CNN in the car. While I am probably more liberal than CNN I cannot deny that 80% of what they put on the air is breathless speculation about Trump. It takes a lot of listening before you snap out of it and realize all they are doing is guessing about what's really going on behind such and such scant tidbit of information.
Yep, this is a huge problem for me with most news, too. Alot of the Twitterverse, too. Again, the 24hr news cycle reinforces that behavior, too. you have to be on the air so long that you must look at every crumb in 30 different ways and talk about it endlessly.

Speaking of news about news, this came out a few days ago but took a couple days to read, it's lengthy, but a more in depth look at how Fox News and the White House have co-mingled to a degree never seen before. I feel like this is some Pandora's box shit.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ws-white-house
Old 03-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #21
JackStark211

Quote:
Ha, well the one thing it has taught me is that the hard left and the hard right hate those in the centre far more than than hate each other. Which at first glance seems odd, until I realised that extremists of all stripes have more in common with each other than they will admit to.

What's your brother hung up about, if you don't mind me asking. Trump?
He is on the extreme left and only allows himself to hear what he wants to hear. He shuts down and gets angry if you try and even discuss the opposite of his views. I've told him that yelling at someone that does not agree with you isn't going to help your cause at all. They will just shut down the same as you.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
He is on the extreme left and only allows himself to hear what he wants to hear. He shuts down and gets angry if you try and even discuss the opposite of his views. I've told him that yelling at someone that does not agree with you isn't going to help your cause at all. They will just shut down the same as you.
Its a shame when people get that dogmatic. We all have issues/causes we might believe passionately in and there's nothing wrong with that. But when you get almost evangelical about politics, you can't help but lose perspective.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:18 AM   #23
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
Yep, this is a huge problem for me with most news, too. Alot of the Twitterverse, too. Again, the 24hr news cycle reinforces that behavior, too. you have to be on the air so long that you must look at every crumb in 30 different ways and talk about it endlessly.

Speaking of news about news, this came out a few days ago but took a couple days to read, it's lengthy, but a more in depth look at how Fox News and the White House have co-mingled to a degree never seen before. I feel like this is some Pandora's box shit.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ws-white-house
Twitter is horrible when it comes to politics because if you say even one thing that is against dogma everybody unfollows you (unpure! unpure!) or worse they resort to mob behavior and attack you mercilessly for days. Twitter was so much better before Trump turned it into his political playground and everybody else followed suit. Used to be mostly musicians engaging in shameless self-promotion -- ah, those were the days.

I will try to read the New Yorker article later -- love that magazine. Thanks.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #24
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Fake news will kill us all
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links