Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Top 20 Ryan Adams Songs - American Songwriter

Old 10-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough
The Top 20 Ryan Adams Songs - American Songwriter

Weird list. Weird timing. Weird coming from American Songwriter. As someone who has still only listened to like five Ryan songs since shit went down, it did make me miss the music a lot, though... Urgh.

https://americansongwriter.com/2019/...st-an-odyssey/

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura aboutroshea999 has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Top 20 Ryan Adams Songs - American Songwriter

Interesting list. Some really good calls on there and a few big omissions. I don't like Tina Toledo and I really like Dear Chicago so that's a big change for me.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Interesting list. Some really good calls on there and a few big omissions. I don't like Tina Toledo and I really like Dear Chicago so that's a big change for me.
Seems like a pretty biased list from someone that already had a predisposition (which he admits was set) to anything after whiskeytown. Also to say Heartbreaker was super overrated at the time? I wouldnt have anything from Rock N Roll (which Ryan basically admits is a Fuck you to his label" on this with the exception of "anybody want to take me home"
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

This reeks of someone who wants people to know he knows his whole catalog.
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I liked paper moon, but how is that the second song you pull from that album after Jacksonville Skyline?
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura abouthi_there has a spectacular aura about

Guess he has a publicist ATM or no way would this get written now. Perhaps they're trying to prime the pump for his "so soon" article telling "his side of the story."
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
yesterday'seyes
Joe

yesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to all

Terrible list. Not that I listen to Ryan these days anyway ��
Old 10-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #8
Alan57

Alan57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bizarre list.Some great songs of course but I would be amazed if more than 4 of these ended up on anyone else’s list.
Alan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura aboutroshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Counted 9 on that list that I thought were reasonable.

My list would probably change day to day but today this feels pretty good:

Anybody Wanna Take Me Home, My Winding Wheel, Dear Chicago, Magnolia Mountain, Jacksonville Skyline, Come Pick Me Up, In My Time of Need, If I Am A Stranger, Mockingbird, Strawberry Wine, Carolina Rain, Sylvia Plath, Please Do Not Let Me Go, I See Monsters, Halloween, Dear John, The Sun Also Sets, Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart, 16 Days, Cannonball Days
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:37 AM   #10
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Counted 9 on that list that I thought were reasonable.

My list would probably change day to day but today this feels pretty good:

Anybody Wanna Take Me Home, My Winding Wheel, Dear Chicago, Magnolia Mountain, Jacksonville Skyline, Come Pick Me Up, In My Time of Need, If I Am A Stranger, Mockingbird, Strawberry Wine, Carolina Rain, Sylvia Plath, Please Do Not Let Me Go, I See Monsters, Halloween, Dear John, The Sun Also Sets, Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart, 16 Days, Cannonball Days
way different than mine but i ain’t mad at cha
Old 10-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterday'seyes View Post
Terrible list. Not that I listen to Ryan these days anyway ��
agree!
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

One sign of a great artist is no two "top 20" lists are the same, there are just too many good songs to narrow it down. I'd have to have like a top 50, and even that would probably change day to day.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #13
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
One sign of a great artist is no two "top 20" lists are the same, there are just too many good songs to narrow it down. I'd have to have like a top 50, and even that would probably change day to day.
Indeed. ‘Jimmy Whistlenut’ made me think about this other song from Ryan, which I consider to be one of his most sincere, ‘I’m Sorry Marty’: .
Old 10-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

First list to ever claim Tina Toledo as a top 20...

Not giving this guy too much authority on RA tunes as a non-fan who couldn't be bothered with him until now. Also, the fact that he's ranking tunes at this time in RA's career shows the writer doesn't know shit.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #15
Dan33185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
First list to ever claim Tina Toledo as a top 20...

Not giving this guy too much authority on RA tunes as a non-fan who couldn't be bothered with him until now. Also, the fact that he's ranking tunes at this time in RA's career shows the writer doesn't know shit.
Why? People still rank the top Beatles songs even though John Lennon abused women and they had sex with underage girls, people still rank David Bowie songs even though he had sex with underage girls.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #16
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why? People still rank the top Beatles songs even though John Lennon abused women and they had sex with underage girls, people still rank David Bowie songs even though he had sex with underage girls.
Completely fair comment, Dan. The guy pretty much admits he had no real interest in RA's catalog, though. There's no new album, no new press, or any real reason this would be a viable article right now. The timing is odd and apart from being assigned to fill inches on the website, I don't really get why he's doing it.

I actually liked some his choices. I prefer Dancing With the Women At The Bar to some of the more lauded tunes on Stranger's Almanac.

I'd rather hear from an author who had some context of what styles and aesthetics RA was trying to capture with his various sound choices.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #17
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
The guy pretty much admits he had no real interest in RA's catalog, though. There's no new album, no new press, or any real reason this would be a viable article right now. The timing is odd and apart from being assigned to fill inches on the website, I don't really get why he's doing it.
This really stuck out to me as someone trying to get RA some kind of positive PR. The fact that the writer says he was “asked” to do the list at such a random time. Also Ryan has been pretty quiet again lately. So maybe he has a new agent directing him again.

Tina Toledo on the list was definitely a head scratcher for me...

Like others have said, my list could change depending on my mood/the day. But I guess that’s the cool thing about Ryan’s catalog. There are plenty of other artists who I would have a set top 5, 10, etc. because that’s all they have to offer based on their amount of output.

Last edited by Knotnow; 10-15-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #18
seatakestheship

seatakestheship is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Beatles had sex with underage girls? You mean, not including when they were 19 and the girls were 17 or something? That's news to me.
seatakestheship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #19
Dan33185

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatakestheship View Post
The Beatles had sex with underage girls? You mean, not including when they were 19 and the girls were 17 or something? That's news to me.
I read a story about how they would have 12-13 year old girls at times...of course I can't find that story for the life of me now, but I could have swore I read it somewhere, I may be wrong though.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #20
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I liked paper moon, but how is that the second song you pull from that album after Jacksonville Skyline?
Yeah, Pneumonia has a whole bunch of awesome songs on it and Paper Moon is somewhere in the middle. Don't Wanna Know Why, Ballad of Carol Lynn, Easy Hearts, My Hometown.... All better
Old 10-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
I read a story about how they would have 12-13 year old girls at times...of course I can't find that story for the life of me now, but I could have swore I read it somewhere, I may be wrong though.
Imagine defending Ryan Adams against documented allegations and then throwing a "I read a story somewhere" charge against someone else.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #22
Dan33185

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
Imagine defending Ryan Adams against documented allegations and then throwing a "I read a story somewhere" charge against someone else.
Just imagine
Old 10-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #23
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Just imagine
It's easy if you try
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links