TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What Are You Reading Now?

Old 11-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #26
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

A Katharine Hepburn bio.

foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #27
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

Finally getting around to reading Return of the King by J.R.R Tolkien. I read the others in the series a couple years ago but not this one, for some reason.
SkortBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:59 PM   #28
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Just started re-reading one of my favourites, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. Fascinating book based on the life and crimes of Grace Marks, a Canadian maid who murdered her employer in the mid 1800's.
Highly recommended.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 AM   #29
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Just started re-reading one of my favourites, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. Fascinating book based on the life and crimes of Grace Marks, a Canadian maid who murdered her employer in the mid 1800's.
Highly recommended.
Great book. I read it earlier this year.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #30
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
Great book. I read it earlier this year.
Atwood is a brilliant author. If you haven't already, you should check out her speculative fiction novels - The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake. They are both excellent.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #31
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Quote:
Atwood is a brilliant author.

I just discovered her last year and am making my way through them. Handmaid's Tale was really interesting. Have you noticed the recurring feminist themes?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 AM   #32
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post

I just discovered her last year and am making my way through them. Handmaid's Tale was really interesting. Have you noticed the recurring feminist themes?
Definitely. She is sometimes regarded as a primarily feminist writer,but I think that sells her talent short. She is very interested in female stories, and almost always writes from a pro-female perspective, but she has more scope in her work than just that.

The Blind Assassin is another one of her novels well worth tracking down.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #33
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Fucking archaeological books that spend 12 pages saying the same thing 12 times, fuck I need answers.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #34
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

A Million Little Lies by James Pinocchio. It's a satire on A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, and it's quite amusing.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #35
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

Quote:
Highly recommended.
i did a project on her in my english class about a month ago.....though i focused on one of her other works
sicottem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #36
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicottem View Post
i did a project on her in my english class about a month ago.....though i focused on one of her other works
Which one?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #37
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

handmaid's tale....although we werent to actually read the novels....we were discussing feminism and were each supposed to research works by an author and an artist....the novel sounded pretty interesting.....i also researched the edible woman, which i believe if her first novel
Old 12-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #38
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicottem View Post
handmaid's tale....although we werent to actually read the novels....we were discussing feminism and were each supposed to research works by an author and an artist....the novel sounded pretty interesting.....i also researched the edible woman, which i believe if her first novel
Oh okay, sounds interesting. I think the Edible Woman was her first one, but I haven't read it.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #39
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
Oh okay, sounds interesting. I think the Edible Woman was her first one, but I haven't read it.
there wasnt much info on it.....from reviews i read, it was one of her weaker works
Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #40
Althea

Althea is on a distinguished road

O Pioneers....Willa Cather.

You all are reading alot of good stuff.
Althea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #41
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

This guy is an incredible author....
A dark and disturbing story of post nuclear war life.....
Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #42
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

Terry Pratchett is my literature hero. If you find a character more unique, funny and awesome than Death then please tell me and, if you can, buy 'Mort' or 'Reaper Man'.

This book features my 2nd favourite characters - the Wee Free Men. They are essentially tiny, blue Scottish people who get everything mixed up, bless 'em.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #43
maddiehope
Eat it, Wonder Boy

maddiehope is a jewel in the roughmaddiehope is a jewel in the rough

Yoga for Dummies. Going to start doing it once all the holiday stuff calms down, just wanted to read up on it first.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #44
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I just recieved my Christmas gifts early from my boss. They were two books: The Truth (With Jokes) by Al Franken and The Republican War On Science by Chris Mooney. I'll let you know how they are at a later date.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #45
thefed
PLEBISCITA

thefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to all

Mrs. Reynolds - Gertrude Stein
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #46
maddiehope
Eat it, Wonder Boy

maddiehope is a jewel in the roughmaddiehope is a jewel in the rough

I don't know if I can explain how wonderful this book is. I've had it for years and just started reading it last night, and I am enthralled. I remember again why I love W.B. Yeats SO much.

Last edited by maddiehope; 12-28-2006 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: typo
maddiehope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #47
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

One of my Xmas presents, sad because it's a practical one for university:

Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #48
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiehope View Post

I don't know if I can explain how wonderful this book is. I've had it for years and just started reading it last night, and I am enthralled. I remember again why I love W.B. Yeats SO much.
I love that book.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #49
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

The Quantity Theory of Insanity by Will Self. Weird and darkly funny so far.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #50
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

The Kite Runner