TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Neal Casal RIP

Old 08-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #26
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road
Re: Neil Casal RIP

Damn, quite a shock when I read it. Neal Casal has been a huge part of my musical development over the years. First officer of the mighty Cardinals and rock on which the band eventually steadied after the departure of Cindy, JP and Catherine. He was part of my favorite live show ever and hero of the night when he apologized for Ryan's sudden disappearance at the Paradiso gig in 2006. With his passing the Cardinals have died too. Rest in peace.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #27
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Suicide just seems gut punching. You never know what's going through someone's mind and i think on this end of viewing someone in music, you perceive them to be living a happy life but, sucks. Neal seemed like a such a great soul.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #28
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Heartbreaking. Always seemed like such a lovely guy.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #29
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
Suicide just seems gut punching. You never know what's going through someone's mind and i think on this end of viewing someone in music, you perceive them to be living a happy life but, sucks. Neal seemed like a such a great soul.
Yes, it really shows that you just never know. I had figured it was some sort of a health issue we didn’t know about, I never would’ve guessed suicide. I’ve always wondered why people make plans and then commit suicide (in his case working on new material). Makes you wonder if it was planned then, or a spur of the moment decision? But it seems like it happens that way a lot. So I guess it shows to never just assume everything is fine, or someone couldn’t do it because they have plans and remember to be a little kinder to each other and look out for any signs.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #30
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

This suicide seems so unlikely from the outside looking in. With someone like Dave Berman it makes sense. It's sad, but still, when it happens it's like, "Damn, he finally did it." But this dude had no known history of darkness (attempts, drugs, divorces, etc.). He was just at Lockn' Fest jamming away all smiles three days ago. I know, I know, you never know what's going on with a person, but still this one is a total surprise. Hopefully it wasn't a cancer diagnosis or romantic strife or, heaven forbid, finances or the disillusion of the Chris Robinson Brotherhood or something trivial. Whatever the case, rest easy Neal and apologies for the vest jokes. You stopped wearing those anyway. Sorry you had to jam with so many egocentric sociopaths in your lifetime. And that CATS band you had going the last few years sounded great. I'm rambling, so RIP old friend. Whatever was causing you pain is well and truly over.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
Butterfly

Butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post
This suicide seems so unlikely from the outside looking in. With someone like Dave Berman it makes sense. It's sad, but still, when it happens it's like, "Damn, he finally did it." But this dude had no known history of darkness (attempts, drugs, divorces, etc.). He was just at Lockn' Fest jamming away all smiles three days ago. I know, I know, you never know what's going on with a person, but still this one is a total surprise. Hopefully it wasn't a cancer diagnosis or romantic strife or, heaven forbid, finances or the disillusion of the Chris Robinson Brotherhood or something trivial. Whatever the case, rest easy Neal and apologies for the vest jokes. You stopped wearing those anyway. Sorry you had to jam with so many egocentric sociopaths in your lifetime. And that CATS band you had going the last few years sounded great. I'm rambling, so RIP old friend. Whatever was causing you pain is well and truly over.
Spare the “old friend” stuff. People know you’ve been shitting on him since he joined the Cardinals so please spare us in his death. Please leave this thread, thanks.

RIP Neal
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #32
niebuhr
Copenhagen Calling

niebuhr is on a distinguished road

I listened to the JamBase podcast interview he did in June today. He mentioned all the great people he had worked with, who had mentored him, inspired him and so on. Not a single mention of Ryan, not even in passing.

I will miss him. He seemed like the gentlest of them all. Catching up on his output with CATS and Chris Robinson now.

Music is love.
niebuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #33
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
rip neal casal

absolutely gutted

has ryan commented at all? via his instagram/twitter?
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #34
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice
Re: rip neal casal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
absolutely gutted

has ryan commented at all? via his instagram/twitter?
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1qYWrHpVE1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1qKqo7pH3b/
Old 08-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #35
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

“Through thick and thin your heart was a lighthouse of kindness.” Makes me wonder if Neal was there as a friend for Ryan these past months.

Ryan commented on Twitter a bit more.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #36
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

I knew Neal had some sort of illness a couple months ago and I just assumed that this was related. It never even occurred to me that he would commit suicide. Heartbreaking.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #37
happyhead

[quote=Electricityscape;834703]“Through thick and thin your heart was a lighthouse of kindness.” Makes me wonder if Neal was there as a friend for Ryan these past months.

Betcha' he was. I forget the podcast, but it was a few months ago and the interviewers asked Neal about his time in the Cardinals and he was very respectful and had nothing but good things to say. Stuck to the music. As a matter of fact, I think they even had to issue an apology later on for not mentioning that Ry Ry has a thing for 15 year old bass prodigys. I wouldn't be surprised if Neal at least reached out to see if he was allright, which is probably a whole lot more than any of his other associates, although he and Jesse still seem tight on the socials so Malin probably reached out too.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #38
thefed
PLEBISCITA

thefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to all

sad, sad news...

shocking in a Bourdain sort of way, where I always thought, man, what a life you have? Jammin' & snappin' beautiful photos travlin' 'round the world!

Hug the loved (& unloved) ones, i guess!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #39
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad news. Thinking back today to all the Cardinals shows I went to. Great times. The podcast that was previously mentioned was really enjoyable, sounds like Neal had a lot of fond memories of those Cardinals days. When I looked up what other records he played on, its quite astonishing. Was also surprised to see he played on a couple of songs on Ashes and Fire.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #40
BadMustard

BadMustard is a jewel in the roughBadMustard is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by niebuhr View Post
I listened to the JamBase podcast interview he did in June today. He mentioned all the great people he had worked with, who had mentored him, inspired him and so on. Not a single mention of Ryan, not even in passing.

I will miss him. He seemed like the gentlest of them all. Catching up on his output with CATS and Chris Robinson now.

Music is love.
https://simplecast.com/s/30f42f76

Neal was a guest in this podcast that was released on Wednesday. They talk a lot about Ryan and Neal said only good things, other than mentioning the recent news and that he would not comment on it. Good listen when one is ready to hear him.
BadMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #41
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=happyhead;834705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricityscape View Post
“Through thick and thin your heart was a lighthouse of kindness.” Makes me wonder if Neal was there as a friend for Ryan these past months.

Betcha' he was. I forget the podcast, but it was a few months ago and the interviewers asked Neal about his time in the Cardinals and he was very respectful and had nothing but good things to say. Stuck to the music. As a matter of fact, I think they even had to issue an apology later on for not mentioning that Ry Ry has a thing for 15 year old bass prodigys. I wouldn't be surprised if Neal at least reached out to see if he was allright, which is probably a whole lot more than any of his other associates, although he and Jesse still seem tight on the socials so Malin probably reached out too.
spare us the wry comments and speculation today...please.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #42
happyhead

CNN. Quotes from Ryan and Chris Robinson.

(CNN) Neal Casal, a prolific guitarist who was a member of The Cardinals and played alongside Willie Nelson, Phil Lesh, and Chris Robinson throughout a busy solo career, has died.

He was 50.

His friend and publicist Kevin Calabro confirmed his death to CNN.

"Neal Casal's passing is not only a huge loss for our music community, but for the world as a whole. He brought warmth and kindness with him wherever he went," Calabro said in an email.

"He was a serious person with a deep intellect, humility and desire to connect in a meaningful way with the world around him. Traits often too rarely found in today's social media culture. It was honor to represent him. I miss him dearly already."

Ryan Adams, who led The Cardinals, remembered the artist on his own Instagram page, writing, "Oh man. My heart is broken. It's too much. What an honor to have known you, true believer. I love you, always. Go easy, brother. Go easy."

His bandmate Chris Robinson said in a statement, "I can't believe I'm having to say goodbye to my friend and my brother. It's almost too painful. When I think about the songs we've written, the shows we've played and all the laughs and great times we shared it's almost unbearable to know you're gone."

Casal had played this past weekend at the Lockn' music festival in Arrington, Virginia, when his band Circles Around the Sun, played a late-night set.

The week before they were in the studio, recording a new album.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #43
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible news. Poor guy. His harmonies on the 2007 show I saw were amazing, not to mention his strong guitar playing.

And yes, we had a little fun at his expense pointing out his lunge technique when playing. I wouldn’t say that constitutes shitting on him. I guess there’s no time, no matter how sad, that’s free of trolling.

Very sad news.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #44
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

bcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to all

What a loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyQiXzqA2kU
bcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #45
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
rip neal casal

im still in a state of shock - never expected this and i also never really gave too much thought to how instrumental neal was in so much music that i love/loved

from beachwood sparks/hazy malaze to the cardinals to hard workin americans

its overwhelming and the suicide aspect dominated my therapy session today - this one is going to hurt for a long time
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #46
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I'm with you sleigher.

Walked in the door from a difficult, distracted day at work. Sitting on my record player is The Skiffle Players. The CD in my car is a live Chris Robinson Brotherhood mix I made from a few shows I attended. He's just such a big part of my life. Always will be. What a sad, sad day.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #47
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Can someone correct the title of the thread to spell his name correctly?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #48
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

bcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to all
Re: Neal Casal RIP

Starting to hear chatter that Neal was dealing with a stalker. I am 100% not trying to start a rumor, just looking to see if anyone had heard anything about this.
bcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #49
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcart View Post
Starting to hear chatter that Neal was dealing with a stalker. I am 100% not trying to start a rumor, just looking to see if anyone had heard anything about this.
One guy on PT’d.
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #50
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I jammed to Circles Around The Sun last night. I am going to miss this man. What talent.