TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Felice Brothers - The Felice Brothers (March 4, 2008)

Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
The Felice Brothers - The Felice Brothers (March 4, 2008)

Quote:
In the spring of ‘07, the Felice Brothers released their first recording “Tonight at the Arizona” on Loose Records in the UK. They WOW-ed ‘em across the pond playing festivals and gigs throughout the UK and Europe with the likes of the Waterboys, Blanche and David Grey. After making their way across America this summer for their first tour, they band hooked up with Bright Eyes for a string of rousing dates on the East Coast —culminating in a performance on the venerated stage at Radio City Music Hall. The Felice Brothers also kicked it with Levon Helms for one of his classic Midnight Rambles upstate.Along they way, fans at shows were introduced to “The Adventures of the Felice Brothers Vol 1″, only available at live dates.The sound that emerges from their instruments is seeped with an instinctive authenticity that’s rooted in tradition. While busking and impromptu subway performances filled their bellies, now their recordings and live performances brings the backwoods to the cities and concert Halls of America and Europe. Starting off ‘08 on the right foot, the Felice Brothers proudly announce their signing to Team Love Records.

Simone, Ian and James Felice are the three eldest boys from a family of seven, born carpenter’s sons in the wilds of New York’s Catskill Mountains. Less than a year ago, the Brothers adopted a runaway dice-thrower and chancer, a 19 year old called Christmas. They convinced him to quit his job and the motley quartet forsook all else but song and moved their Sunday BBQ sing-alongs from their dad’s upstate house out onto the streets and subways of NYC.After months of toil, living in a 1987 special education bus, with arrests, and genuine panhandler fun, a free-lance music writer named Gabe Soria (Mojo, Vice) stumbled upon the boys singing and barking their wares at a farmers market in Brooklyn and one thing led to another.Now the Felice Brothers and blood brother Christmas all live, tour, sing, write and gamble together on their little bus.

Their distinct brand of songwriting and the lawless sound they’ve forged has earned them comparisons to Woodie Guthrie, a young Springsteen to the Scorsese film Gangs of New York. The boys now travel the world performing homegrown and gritty Americana on the city stages as if they were hosting a sing-along on their own front porch surrounded by family and friends or playing the backroom of a dusty tavern.
http://team-love.com/home/releases/tl-27/

Two downloads can be found at that link as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all
Re: The Felice Brothers - The Felice Brothers

I will listen to them ASAP. I can't wait to see them open for DBT, I have heard on good things about them.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Felice Brothers - The Felice Brothers (March 4, 2008)

I have already pre-ordered this Tonight at the Arizona is sensational so I've got high hopes for this new release.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

The songs available for download sound great. I might have to pickup Tonight at The Arizona.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Planning to see them with Justin Townes Earle later this spring. "Tonight...." is a good record. Recommended if you don't have it yet.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The songs available for download sound great. I might have to pickup Tonight at The Arizona.
You won't regret it I'm sure. It's a fantastic album. You clearly missed my original thread about these guys . I think I've played it every day since I bought it. Mar 04 is already in my diary.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
You won't regret it I'm sure. It's a fantastic album. You clearly missed my original thread about these guys . I think I've played it every day since I bought it. Mar 04 is already in my diary.
Yeah, I clearly did. I might have to look it up now.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yeah, I clearly did. I might have to look it up now.
I wouldn't bother - it wasn't that good. The album is though.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Rob
Administrator

This is out today, but my shop says the vinyl isn't due till early April.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Amazon tell me my copy of the CD is in the post. If I like it I'll look for the vinyl.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Mine's on it's way as well.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
sipowicz

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

Saw them open for DBT, and I thought they SUCKED, bad...
Old 03-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Saw them open for DBT, and I thought they SUCKED, bad...
Really, that's a shame. I've read a few comments on other boards which seem to suggest they're usually off their heads when they play, but most seemed to think they still sounded pretty good regardless.
What didn't you like about their set?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
What didn't you like about their set?
I'm curious too. I've only heard good things about them so far and it would be interesting to hear another side to the story since I'm planning on seeing them later this spring.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
sipowicz

OK. They were trying WAY TO HARD. There are bands like Old Crow Medicine Show and The Avetts, that you can feel the authenticity. With the Felice, it seemed like an act. The drummer was so annoying, I don't even know what to say... He was trying so hard to be odd and cool... Also, they were f'd up bad.

Plus the bass player can not play, period.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Heh, sounds like littlemen might be in for an interesting evening then when she seems them live.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #17
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

I was really looking forward to this album too. Maybe they're better on CD - I mean the Arizona CD was really good.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #18
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

The CD has just arrived. Track 1 is good so fingers crossed.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #19
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

My copy is still travelling the world ...Rose, how does this album compare to Arizona?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #20
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Nowhere near as good as Arizona. It's solid and for me the songs at the start of the album are the best. It get mediocre in the middle and picks up again at the end - probably marginally too long (from the Ryan school of self editing I guess). I like it and it will get played but nowhere near as much as Arizona. It hasn't got the same rawness or rough edges. The whole sound is a little smoother and more mellow.

Maybe when I've played it more I'll feel differently but I loved Arizona from the the start of the first track.

It will be interesting to see what you think as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Okay, thanks. My copy should arrive within a week. I do love the raw, rough sound on Arizona...I hope they haven't smoothed it out too much.'
Old 03-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #22
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

It's not quite their ET equivalent.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

This finally arrived yesterday (thanks Amazon, so speedy!) and on first listen through, I'm really impressed. It has more colour and shade to the songs than Tonight At The Arizona, and although the production is more sophisicated, it still sounds rough and gritty enough to my ears. And I love the use of piano and horn on several tracks - really honkytonk. Frankies Gun and Don't Wake The Scarecrow are already stuck in my head.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #24
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
This finally arrived yesterday (thanks Amazon, so speedy!) and on first listen through, I'm really impressed. It has more colour and shade to the songs than Tonight At The Arizona, and although the production is more sophisicated, it still sounds rough and gritty enough to my ears. And I love the use of piano and horn on several tracks - really honkytonk. Frankies Gun and Don't Wake The Scarecrow are already stuck in my head.
What a different view. Glad you like it. My faves are Greatest Show on Earth and Frankie's gun but even after repeated listenings I don't think it's in the same class as Arizona. Guess I like the down and dirty stuff best.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #25
littleamen

Saw these guys last night. What an AMAZING show. They absolutely rocked. I think you must have seen them on an off-night Sipowiz, because I didn't see any sign of "trying to hard" or being disingenuous. I can see where there may be a couple of them that have the tendency to be completely fucked up, but they sure kept in under wraps last night.

They're passing through Madison and Chicago in the next few days, ya'll should be sure to catch them. Justin Townes Earle is opening and he was excellent...as well as being a super nice guy.
Sponsored Links