Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 08-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #701
of_the_girl

of_the_girl has a spectacular aura about
Re: Movie Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
One of my BFs and her husband saw it and were hugely disappointed. They were big fans of the series and said they could not believe how horrible this movie was. That's all I've heard.
Yep my friend is a massive fan of the show and they said it was really bad. I've yet to hear anyone say it was good...
of_the_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #702
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Mountain View Post
I'm just in awe of how funny Danny McBride (Red) could be....I'd never really heard of him up until Pineapple came out.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucker!"

Danny McBride is RAD! It only dawned on me AFTER watching Pineapple that he's the zookeeper in Mighty Boosh! I've only seen the first series, but now I wanna watch more. He's completely random and so, so funny.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #703
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, this is embarrassing but I actually quite liked Mama Mia, the ABBA musical movie. I only went because a friend wanted to go, but I ended up having a great time. It's corny and lame and makes very little sense but it's also a lot of mindless fun. Also, Meryl Streep singing "The Winner Takes It All' on a Greek hillside? Not something you see or hear everyday.

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #704
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Okay, this is embarrassing but I actually quite liked Mama Mia, the ABBA musical movie. I only went because a friend wanted to go, but I ended up having a great time. It's corny and lame and makes very little sense but it's also a lot of mindless fun. Also, Meryl Streep singing "The Winner Takes It All' on a Greek hillside? Not something you see or hear everyday.
My mom loved it.
Though I read in some review somewhere that Pierce Brosnan singing sounded like some kind of dying animal.
True?
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #705
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis View Post
My mom loved it.
Though I read in some review somewhere that Pierce Brosnan singing sounded like some kind of dying animal.
True?
Oh yes, so very, horribly true. The rest of the cast had voices ranging from pretty good (Streep) to adequate (Colin Firth). And then there was Pierce. Luckily his musical contributions were limited.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #706
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Oh yes, so very, horribly true. The rest of the cast had voices ranging from pretty good (Streep) to adequate (Colin Firth). And then there was Pierce. Luckily his musical contributions were limited.
I never really liked Pierece, including his work as Bond, until The Matador.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #707
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I never really liked Pierece, including his work as Bond, until The Matador.
I've not seen The Matador. Do you recommend it?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #708
clewis
gangster

Quote:
Yes, it's definitely worth a watch. Greg Kinnear pretty much plays the same role that he always plays, but Brosnan is just great.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #709
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Yes, it's definitely worth a watch. Greg Kinnear pretty much plays the same role that he always plays, but Brosnan is just great.
Heh, good call on Kinnear. He's a likeable actor but he's not exactly Daniel Day Lewis. Thanks, I'll add it to my list.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #710
Kirsten
underfootsquished

Kirsten is a jewel in the roughKirsten is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yeah, I thought it was great.

Oh, and shockingly, I loved Mama Mia too. I mean, it's ABBA music set on a Greek Island. What's not to love? ha.
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #711
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Mamma Mia looks like good, cheesy fun....I love Meryl's voice in that clip.

Side note: anyone remember seeing her sing at the end of Stuck On You?
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #712
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

i watched weekend at bernie's earlier, and now i'm watching steel magnolias. classics
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #713
clewis
gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Mountain View Post
Mamma Mia looks like good, cheesy fun....I love Meryl's voice in that clip.

Side note: anyone remember seeing her sing at the end of Stuck On You?
During the Bonnie and Clyde musical part, yes?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #714
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
During the Bonnie and Clyde musical part, yes?
Yes.

I really enjoyed that movie when it first came out....the premise seemed like it would offend, but it was actually very light-hearted and sweet.

One of the better Farrelly Brothers films, in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #715
clewis
gangster

I saw Woody Allen's new film, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, earlier this evening. It was pretty good, and mostly so because of the performances by Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz, as well as Chris Messina. These three actors bring the humor into this movie. Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall, as Cristina and Vicky, do their jobs, but don't really stand out.
There are some technical flaws in terms of match cuts, a few insanely frustrating moments with the focus, and a narrator, who I just found unnecessary to the film.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #716
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Just saw Ghost World for the first time on tv this weekend....I loved it.

I purchased it on DVD yesterday for a mere $6 - brand new!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #717
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Ghost World is so good. See Art School Confidential too. Also, based on a graphic novel by Daniel Clouse (I think that's how to spell his last name).
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #718
Kinkyreggae
Badass INC...

Kinkyreggae is on a distinguished road

Just saw "I want someone to eat cheese with" random and funny movie
Kinkyreggae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #719
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

I watched Equilibrium tonight, it was recommended to me by a friend who knows I like Christian Bale. The premise of the movie was good, but it just wasn't pulled off. It was like if the Matrix had been made on a really really really low budget. Even that description doesn't do justice to how bad it was though, really. I wanted to like it, because I liked the concept... but nope.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #720
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

I know this is going to sound pretty bad coming from someone who considers themselves to be a film junkie, but, until last night, I'd never seen The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.

It was very good....probably the olnly Eastwood film I could ever stomach (most likely because of Sergio Leone's excellent directing).

I think I especially loved it because I recently re-watched Kill Bill Vol. 2, and saw the similarities in style (and music).

Quentin, you are a sly one.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #721
radioradi0

radioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to all

I'm thinking about seeing Tropic Thunder this week. Has anyone seen it? I'll go regardless, since I love both Stiller & Jack Black. And RD Jr. is a long-time crush. It really can't disappoint, you know?
radioradi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #722
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I actually heard it's disappointing. As in, not as funny as it could've been.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #723
radioradi0

radioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I actually heard it's disappointing. As in, not as funny as it could've been.
Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind.
radioradi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #724
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Didn't it generate a lot of controversy because of how it portrayed people with intellectual disabilities? I read something about that.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #725
clewis
gangster

Yes, a bunch of people wanted to boycott the film because Ben Stiller's character does a movie called "Simple Jack" with the tagline "Once there was a retard."
It was intended to make fun of actors who go for the roles playing the handicapped to get rewards, but it was construed as making fun of the handicapped.
Sponsored Links