TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

True Detective

Old 08-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #101
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True Detective

I'm a completionist and there's not much to watch during the summer. If there's a season 3, I'd wait to see how well it's received before diving in.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #102
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

I stopped watching this halfway through and decided to watch Top of the Lake again. Far superior.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #103
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Sepinwall says it well:

Quote:
The total creative freedom Pizzolatto had this season is a great idea in theory, and some of the best dramas of our time have come from creators like David Milch and Matthew Weiner who had relative autonomy. But for this season, at least, Pizzolatto very badly needed someone to tell him to go back to the beginning and either streamline the narrative or find a much better way to establish the players and the moves, to write material that played to his actors' strengths, to give the audience reason to care about why any of this was happening, and perhaps to find a few intentionally light moments so that the whole thing didn't come off as funnier than he wanted it to be.

Basically, this season needed someone who was willing and able to say, "No. This isn't working." And there wasn't.
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...tective-finale
Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #104
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #105
Rob
Administrator

Great contribution.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #106
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

There were flaws with the season. I'm not debating that. Overall, I was still engrossed and enjoyed it.
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #107
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I enjoyed it and will be excited to see what they do with season 3.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #108
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

i'm w/ rob

i watched it and i think for the most part i liked it....i wasn't one to compare it to the first season and just let this season stand by itself....

but it really just got a bit forced....vaughn and the red head had zero chemistry and i lol'ed a lot when they shared the screen it was just so cliche casablanca crap knockoff.....

vaughn wasn't without some pretty tense and terse scenes...but most of the time he came off a bit too wordy

i wrote this last week on faithless-street.org about the show...someone had asked what the hell was going on:

it's basically a big over stated story about how these 3 detectives are the luckiest detectives in the world and the story is a big giant mushy marshmallow and it's basically crammed into an ice cube tray and we're suppose to just roll with it...cause it's pizzolatto ....but here's the deal

the story is forced
from the 1st epi when ani is somehow on a prostitution sting that goes wrong....her sister just happens to be there...then for some reason they give a foreclosure notice to a mexican family....the lady is pissed and says why don't you find my missing sister...apparently we find out later the husband is a pervert and that's the whole reason the sister up and left and went to a bunch of other rich perverts having sex in a mansion (bohemian grove style) ...i mean how lucky is that? :bunnies

then they cast a red haired burnt chubby nugget for the son of farrell and the other olive tone wife....neither rapist that frank thought was the rapist (the one he killed) nor the one that was tied to the dna could be the father either....they're both mexican/dark skinned...so she fucked a ginger somewhere and they lied to us or it's producer's kid that got a role

vaughn's character is cliche ridden and cheap and has these steely one liners that are suppose to make him really wise and tough.....but he's not really any of that until finally....EPI 7 comes along and vaughn stole the show. i could watch the guy in epi 7 for a whole season...but the 1st 6 were a stretch at best

kitsch character is a repressed homosexual who just somehow happens to be tailed by the laziest and yet best detective ever...dixon...who is somehow in on it...but never the less sent to the big mexican sting and he gets shot...and back to kitsch...he's repressed in age where repressed homosexuality doesn't really need to be....and he's in california...and he's a bad ass....yet he is still hung up on it...and he gets black mailed for it...when really it's like...what's the big deal? everyone is gay this day and age and who cares? so that's a boring plot line....

ani's character was the best thing this show had going but now she has flashbacks and somehow gets into the big party...but all the bad guys working against her somehow she gets in....i mean....what the fuck? and then she gets drugged...barfs and then looks up to find the missing sister vera....happy coincidence number 6,444

so i'm holding my breath for the last episode...but only cause the first 7 have fucking stunk up the joint.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #109
JackStark211

Watching the final episode again right now.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #110
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

i heard wayward pines is a show i should watch....

anyone else?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #111
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
i heard wayward pines is a show i should watch....

anyone else?
I am interested but have not yet checked it out. Start a thread?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #112
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I am interested but have not yet checked it out. Start a thread?
go for it!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #113
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Watching the final episode again right now.
Brutal
Old 08-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #114
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Brutal
It was a real treat.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #115
thebalvenie

one of the worst finales to a season....
Old 08-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #116
thebalvenie

wayward pines was pretty fuckin shitty too
Old 08-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #117
thebalvenie

Sneaky Pete is the next show i'm excited about

Bryan Cranston and Giovanni Ribisi
Old 07-01-2017, 01:57 AM   #118
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

While there is no definitive deal in place as of yet (and technically, no new season officially ordered by HBO), according to Tracking Board, Mahershala Ali is apparently in early talks to star in a potential third season of True Detective. The casting of the Academy Award-winning Moonlight actor would be a logical continuation of the show’s star-studded casting; as you probably recall, Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson played the leads in the crime drama’s first season, while Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch starred in its second. There’s no information yet on the premise of the show’s third season, which series creator Nic Pizzolatto is reportedly working on with David Milch.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/true-...shala-ali.html
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #119
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

He would be phenomenal
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #120
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

its official

Mahershala will appear in the upcoming third season of HBO’s oft-impenetrable series, True Detective. “I’ve read five scripts for a third season and I think they’re terrific,” said Casey Bloys, HBO’s president of programming. “We have a deal with Mahershala Ali to play lead. So right now we are talking to directors and when we find a director that we want to hire, we’ll be a go for that.” It was announced in March that series creator Nic Pizzolatto was working with David Milch on bringing the show back after its aggressively weird second season, and initial reports started surfacing in June about Ali coming on board. That casting was confirmed today by HBO at the annual Television Critics Association summer press event.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/maher...-season-3.html
Old 07-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #121
JackStark211

Great news!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #122
thebalvenie

yay!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #123
sleigher

It's official: HBO is moving forward with a third season of anthology True Detective.

Nic Pizzolatto will serve as the lone writer on the season save for David Milch, who co-wrote the fourth episode. (An episode count has not yet been revealed.)

Pizzolatto, who created the series, will serve as showrunner and direct alongside relative newcomer Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin, Green Room). Executive producers include Pizzolatto, Saulnier, Scott Stephens and season one stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey as well as original director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown will also be credited as exec producers.

Season three will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.

As previously announced, Oscar winner Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) will topline season three as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

"I'm tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy. I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we're all very excited to tell this story," Pizzolatto, who has an overall deal with HBO, said Thursday in a statement.

HBO would not officially confirm that they were moving forward with a third season of True Detective until they found a director who would work with Pizzolatto on the series, which broke out after its freshman run but failed to win over critics with its polarizing second star-studded season. (The Hollywood Reporter chief TV critic Tim Goodman called it "confusing.")

"Nic has written truly remarkable scripts. With his ambitious vision and Mahershala Ali and Jeremy Saulnier aboard, we are excited to embark on the next installment of True Detective," said HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

Rumors have swirled for months about the future of True Detective. News leaked in March that Deadwood creator Milch was teaming with Pizzolatto on season three.

A premiere date has not yet been determined. Bloys said in July that Pizzolatto had almost the entirety of True Detective season three written — "I've read five scripts on the new season and I think they're terrific," the exec told reporters at TCA.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...r_breakingnews
Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #124
sleigher

Stephen Dorff has been cast in “True Detective” Season 3 at HBO.

Dorff will play Roland West, an Arkansas State Investigator who, along with his partner, has his life and career influenced over three decades by a baffling crime.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/true...ff-1202652134/
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #125
sleigher

Godless star Scoot McNairy has been cast opposite Mahershala Ali, Carmen Ejogo and Stephen Dorff in the third season of Nic Pizzolatto’s HBO crime anthology series True Detective.

Season 3 will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from northwest Arkansas.

McNairy will play Tom, a father who suffers a terrible loss that ties his fate to that of two state police detectives over 10 years.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/true-det...es-1202244190/
Sponsored Links