TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Book recommendations

Old 08-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Book recommendations

I want to read.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of
Re: Book recommendations

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I recommened it to everyone.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins
sicottem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Under the Skin by Michel Faber is completely weird and one of my favourite books ever.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is a classic.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is a classic.
its one of my favorites
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 AM   #6
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I just re-read it recently after last reading it at uni. I'd forgotten how brilliant it is - espeically when you consider that Capote basically invented an entirely new genre when he wrote that book.

Did you see the film, Capote?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
I just re-read it recently after last reading it at uni. I'd forgotten how brilliant it is - espeically when you consider that Capote basically invented an entirely new genre when he wrote that book.

Did you see the film, Capote?
Yea. It was a great movie. Capote manipulated people so much to get that story.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

I really enjoyed it too. He was a strange character who never really managed to achieve very much after In Cold Blood. It was as if the sucess of it killed off his ambition.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
I really enjoyed it too. He was a strange character who never really managed to achieve very much after In Cold Blood. It was as if the sucess of it killed off his ambition.
I've never read any of him other books...i didnt really hear too many good things about the others, but there is no doubting that In Cold Blood was revolutionary. I think he may have just lost a lot of hope in life after the whole trial process. He got so close to Perry that i think he lost a lot after he was hanged. Even in the film you could see that the whole thing was really bothering him...not a very enjoyable life
Old 08-19-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
finchattack

finchattack has a little shameless behavior in the past

The World Is Flat
The Kite Runner
Life of Pi
finchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:51 AM   #11
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

I've just started a book called 'Slaughterhouse 5' by Kurt Vonnegut. It's an anti-war book written (or at least started) in the 60's.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:54 AM   #12
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone
I've just started a book called 'Slaughterhouse 5' by Kurt Vonnegut. It's an anti-war book written (or at least started) in the 60's.

I love that book. It's probably his best novel - and he's been an incredibly prolific author.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #13
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

Quote:
I love that book. It's probably his best novel - and he's been an incredibly prolific author.
It is very good yes. I've just read the first chapter (which is a sort of an introduction) and it's filled with wonderul little phrases.

"little girls in white party dresses and black party shoes"

Reminds me of Cold Roses' (the song) saturday/sunday feet/shoes thing.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
anything by vonnegut is great...Cat's cradle is awesome
Old 08-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Sydneyfan

Yep, That's a good one too. If you enjoy short stories, his "Welcome to the Monkeyhouse" is fabulous.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #16
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
Yep, That's a good one too. If you enjoy short stories, his "Welcome to the Monkeyhouse" is fabulous.
i havent read that whole one...but i have read harrison bergeron (spelling??) which is in that collection and i really liked it
Old 08-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #17
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicottem
i havent read that whole one...but i have read harrison bergeron (spelling??) which is in that collection and i really liked it

I first read that story when I was kid and have never forgotten it. Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General. Brilliant.

Have you ever read anything by Jim Crace - you might like his stuff.

Link to the Harrison Bergeron story if anyone's interested: http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html
Old 08-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #18
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
Have you ever read anything by Jim Crace - you might like his stuff.
What do you suggest from him? I'm reading the reviews about "Being Dead" on amazon and it sounds really interesting
Old 08-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #19
Sydneyfan

Quote:
What do you suggest from him? I'm reading the reviews about "Being Dead" on amazon and it sounds really interesting

Being Dead is a really good, albiet very dark read. I couldn't believe someone could make an engrossing book about two decaying corpses - but the guy is good.

His best novel imo is "Quarantine" - he won the Whitbread Award for that a few years back. Its basically a reworking of the "Jesus rising from the dead story" and is one of the most inventive things I've ever read.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #20
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Robert Service's biography of Stalin is pretty good, or are people not too interested in history books?
Old 08-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #21
blueone

I like to read WW1 & WW2 history. Not much else interests me (except Ancient Greece).
Old 08-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #22
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
Being Dead is a really good, albiet very dark read. I couldn't believe someone could make an engrossing book about two decaying corpses - but the guy is good.

His best novel imo is "Quarantine" - he won the Whitbread Award for that a few years back. Its basically a reworking of the "Jesus rising from the dead story" and is one of the most inventive things I've ever read.
i think i'll really have to check this guy out...all of the reviewers on amazon talk about how poetic and creative of a writer he is...it seems that there is a lacking of these type authors recently. Or maybe it just seems that way because all we ever hear about are guys like Dan Brown, whose stories are interesting, but writing styles are weak.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy
Robert Service's biography of Stalin is pretty good, or are people not too interested in history books?
Guns Germs and Steel is a great book...not sure if that would actually be considered a history book though
Old 08-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #24
Sydneyfan

Quote:
i think i'll really have to check this guy out...all of the reviewers on amazon talk about how poetic and creative of a writer he is...it seems that there is a lacking of these type authors recently. Or maybe it just seems that way because all we ever hear about are guys like Dan Brown, whose stories are interesting, but writing styles are weak.

I agree, publishers are all about big bucks these days, rather than quality.
New, talented authors are no longer supported - while the Dan Browns of the world (and god, he is really terrible) make millions. Bit like the music scene.

Grace writes like a poet and is wonderfully inventive. Michel Faber is in a similar vein - the guy deserves to be a squillionaire yet is not well known.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #25
Quincy
1up

Quote:
I like to read WW1 & WW2 history. Not much else interests me (except Ancient Greece).
Well Service's biography of him is great because he's one of the only western historian allowed access to the Moscow archives with all the testimonies and private documents, so it's a more accurate account of his life.
Sponsored Links