Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #3026
gweeps
=

gweeps has a spectacular aura aboutgweeps has a spectacular aura about
Re: Movie Recommendations

The Nice Guys is one of the best films I've seen all year. A witty, well-acted comedic mystery. I'll be watching it a third time before the year's done.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #3027
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
The Nice Guys is one of the best films I've seen all year. A witty, well-acted comedic mystery. I'll be watching it a third time before the year's done.
I love how Shane Black dovetailed in the climate change movement of the 70s too. Such an important issue.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #3028
FavoriteEver
Something Clever

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
So, I enjoyed La La Land way more than I thought I would. A homage to old school Hollywood musicals is normally the sort of concept that would have me running from the theatre, but La La Land is smart enough to embrace the hokey aspects of the genre and turn them into a positive.

The songs are pretty forgettable imo, but the direction is bold and enthusiastic, and both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are just perfect in their roles. They were the best thing about Crazy Stupid Love, and that believable chemistry between the two of them really carries this film.

I saw La La Land tonight. I really liked it but I wasn't prepared for all the feels I got at the end. It felt realistic, probably in part due to the chemistry Ryan and Emma have, also due to similar life experiences. But it was a great movie, I hope to see it do well come awards season.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:38 PM   #3029
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I saw La La Land tonight. I really liked it but I wasn't prepared for all the feels I got at the end. It felt realistic, probably in part due to the chemistry Ryan and Emma have, also due to similar life experiences. But it was a great movie, I hope to see it do well come awards season.
Agreed, the final 10 or so minutes of the film are basically perfect and quite emotional.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #3030
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Agreed, the final 10 or so minutes of the film are basically perfect and quite emotional.
So just like whiplash lol
Old 01-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #3031
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

A few films of note that I've watched recently and loved and would recommended:

Hell or High Water - Really solid and enjoyable modern western with Jeff Bridges in top form. Also, Chris Pine pushing his acting chops with great effect.

Your Name - A Japanese anime romantic fantasy. Beautiful, thought provoking and awe inspiring.

The Edge of Seventeen - We all loved Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit, and I feel she gives an as-good, if not better performance in this very well written coming of age drama.

I'll post more if I think of any, but these really stick out in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #3032
an old love letter

hell or high water is pretty amazing
Old 01-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #3033
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Hell Or High Water & Nice Guys. Two great films.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #3034
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

The Love Witch

I watched this a few days after watching La La Land (which I liked, but don't really get alllll the hype surrounding it).

As a contemporary B-movie, I think it holds up. I attended a screening that featured a Q & A with the director at the end and I just had so much respect and admiration for her. She wrote, directed and produced the film, on top of making a lot of the amazing costumes and paintings featured in it. I also had to laugh when, after it was clearly evident the DP used very '70s lenses and gear to shoot, she clarified that the film is meant to be set in 2016.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #3035
gweeps
=

I recently watched a great early Nic Cage & Sean Penn movie called Racing with the Moon. It's a perfect coming-of-age story. I just loved it.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #3036
an old love letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
The Love Witch

I watched this a few days after watching La La Land (which I liked, but don't really get alllll the hype surrounding it).

As a contemporary B-movie, I think it holds up. I attended a screening that featured a Q & A with the director at the end and I just had so much respect and admiration for her. She wrote, directed and produced the film, on top of making a lot of the amazing costumes and paintings featured in it. I also had to laugh when, after it was clearly evident the DP used very '70s lenses and gear to shoot, she clarified that the film is meant to be set in 2016.
I am dying to see this now
Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #3037
andyo812

andyo812 will become famous soon enough

Anybody see Manchester by the Sea?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #3038
an old love letter

Lives up to the hype.

So very fucking good.

I love the way it plays with memories
Old 01-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #3039
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Really enjoyed Lion. It had its flaws - some of the narrative jumps are a bit clumsy and it's pretty difficult making a search that basically involves a guy sitting in his room alone using Google maps seem visually exciting - but overall it works. Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman both give really nuanced performances, and Patel manages the rare feat of a foreign actor managing a near-perfect Australian accent. The little actor who plays a young Saroo is just fabulous. If you don't feel emotional by the end of the film, you may be dead.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #3040
yesterday'seyes
Joe

yesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
Anybody see Manchester by the Sea?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Yes. Loved it.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #3041
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

The Girl On The Train was pretty damn good.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #3042
an old love letter

Watched a lot of good shit recently...

Right now wrong then
Being 17
Goodbye to language
Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #3043
Sydneyfan

Good to hear director Jeremy Salnier ( Blue Ruin, Green Room) will shortly start filming on a new project for Netflix called Hold The Dark. The story synopsis sounds like it plays to Saulnier's strengths perfectly.

http://www.slashfilm.com/green-room-...t-for-netflix/
Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #3044
JackStark211

Quote:
Good to hear director Jeremy Salnier ( Blue Ruin, Green Room) will shortly start filming on a new project for Netflix called Hold The Dark. The story synopsis sounds like it plays to Saulnier's strengths perfectly.

http://www.slashfilm.com/green-room-...t-for-netflix/

Great news. Wife and I loved both those films.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #3045
an old love letter

American Honey was such a great depiction of millenials

good film sasha lane is amazing
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #3046
JackStark211

I want to see Ghost In A Shell.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #3047
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

started both 20th century women and paterson

couldn't finish them....

watched "allied" it was depressing...had some good bits but not really all that great.

cafe society was decent....awful ending though!
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #3048
an old love letter

"First he became a murderer then he became a Christian. I don't know which ones worse!"
Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #3049
gweeps
=

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I want to see Ghost In A Shell.

Hopefully it's better than Lucy. That was terrible. I was intrigued by Under the Skin though.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #3050
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Hopefully it's better than Lucy. That was terrible. I was intrigued by Under the Skin though.
Under the Skin is great.

Tags
movies, recommendations, tby staple thread