TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams - Prisoner (Feb 17, 2017)

Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #851
Pound4ABrown
Customizable

Pound4ABrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ryan Adams - Prisoner (Feb 17, 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
I'm curious as to when the last time anyone thought RA was "pioneering."
Cause 1984 was just 1 minute riffs on Replacements and Husker Du...
And what he does best - and why I like him so much is/ he takes disperate elements from anything and anyone he's ever heard or been influenced by - and makes it into his own sound.
But I'd hardly call anything he did from even a decade or more ago "pioneering."
What I do know is a song like Shiver and Shake gives me chills- and makes me FEEL something.
I'll take that any day.
I never thought of him as pioneering. Hes more of a magpie with an amazing sense for melodies.
I love his older stuff, but it wasnt like LIH was trailblazing. Doesnt mean it wasnt a great fucking album though.
Pound4ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #852
ryanflick3
EzyPlateau

ryanflick3 is on a distinguished road

Heard the leak today. The rest of the album is better than the 2 singles, and the singles sound better knowing the album is good.

Prisoner is the best song. It's got all the elements of Ryan Adams I could eve want.

Outbound Train is the best 2nd song. But it's like Bruce Springstee's Downbound Train. Good melody and lyrics though.

The album as a whole is better than I expected. But I'm in a very good place I life. Much different then in my late teens/early 20s when I was sad, lonely and drank too much. This is very heavy lyrically and hard to start off the new year with the kind of darkness the lyrics convey. There is no sense of hope or light at all. Just pain and darkness.

I'm in my 30s now and know Ryan is in his 40s. I really hope this album helps him move on past this heartbreak. I really feel for him if this stuff is even partly true. I wish this on no one at any age though, but this is territory for young single and lost. Not adults in mid life.

Honestly, this album made me feel quesy. It's raw and real, but so much so it's difficult to actual enjoy.
ryanflick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #853
Durk

Durk is just really niceDurk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pound4ABrown View Post
I never thought of him as pioneering. Hes more of a magpie with an amazing sense for melodies.
I love his older stuff, but it wasnt like LIH was trailblazing. Doesnt mean it wasnt a great fucking album though.
Yeah I wasn't the one using the pioneering term.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #854
Pound4ABrown
Customizable

Pound4ABrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't the one using the pioneering term.
Yeah, I was more or less building off what you said, as opposed to disagreeing with you.
Pound4ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #855
andyo812

andyo812 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanflick3 View Post
Heard the leak today. The rest of the album is better than the 2 singles, and the singles sound better knowing the album is good.

Prisoner is the best song. It's got all the elements of Ryan Adams I could eve want.

Outbound Train is the best 2nd song. But it's like Bruce Springstee's Downbound Train. Good melody and lyrics though.

The album as a whole is better than I expected. But I'm in a very good place I life. Much different then in my late teens/early 20s when I was sad, lonely and drank too much. This is very heavy lyrically and hard to start off the new year with the kind of darkness the lyrics convey. There is no sense of hope or light at all. Just pain and darkness.

I'm in my 30s now and know Ryan is in his 40s. I really hope this album helps him move on past this heartbreak. I really feel for him if this stuff is even partly true. I wish this on no one at any age though, but this is territory for young single and lost. Not adults in mid life.

Honestly, this album made me feel quesy. It's raw and real, but so much so it's difficult to actual enjoy.

I think it's very real territory for adults in mid life. Whats the divorce ratio, 50%?

I also dont think art is an all encompassing indicator of overall happiness, state of mind, etc. Sure certain snapshots in time serve as inspiration for this record specifically and just in general. I mean if for a future release hes remarried with kids and to our knowledge the happiest hes ever been, I would still bet there are songs on there about heartbreak and struggle from past experiences.

My judgement from the interviews hes done, comments on social media and how the album ends (tightrope / we dissapear), this is a break up album but there is some sort of resolution at the end.
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #856
I dont care
I don't care even less

I dont care is just really niceI dont care is just really nice

I listened to the leak, does anyone feel the mix on many of the songs is extremely drum heavy? I almost wish someone would remix the album to lessen the sound of the drums - because these are the best songs he's written in years.
I dont care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #857
Redhawkcircles

Redhawkcircles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by I dont care View Post
I listened to the leak, does anyone feel the mix on many of the songs is extremely drum heavy? I almost wish someone would remix the album to lessen the sound of the drums - because these are the best songs he's written in years.
I don't feel that way. Might be your audio set up.
Redhawkcircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #858
Durk

What you may be hearing is heavy on drums - light on cymbals.
I definitely hear that.
But I think that's part of the 70's- 80's sound he was going for.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 AM   #859
ryanflick3
EzyPlateau

ryanflick3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What you may be hearing is heavy on drums - light on cymbals.
I definitely hear that.
But I think that's part of the 70's- 80's sound he was going for.
That would make sense for like 3 songs. The rest are clearly Bruce Springsteen inspired particularly from the song I'm on Fire, which is produced wonderfully. Drums are way out of place and mixed poorly. The snare is like driving the acoustic guitar into a wall like a hammer. No need. Acoustic guitars should be the forefront. Especially on a song like to be without you.

It almost sounds like the acoustic stuff and vocals were recorded to a click track and the drums were added in later. Maybe that was the Capitol Records studio stuff he was getting help on from Don Was. The drums sound disjointed from the rest of the instruments.
ryanflick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #860
baptizedpotato

baptizedpotato has a spectacular aura aboutbaptizedpotato has a spectacular aura about

im still hoping that the official release sounds a bit better than the leak. i feel his vocals are often very much back in the mix, but hopefully thats (partly) due to a low quality rip.

still loving the album, especially as an album. its flows extremely well, from opener DYSLM to We Disappear. DYSLM is miles better than its little brother Gimme Something Good. really love the organ and guitar in it. I really have to pace myself listening to it. hopefully it will still hold up in the long run.
baptizedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #861
Durk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanflick3 View Post
That would make sense for like 3 songs. The rest are clearly Bruce Springsteen inspired particularly from the song I'm on Fire, which is produced wonderfully. Drums are way out of place and mixed poorly. The snare is like driving the acoustic guitar into a wall like a hammer. No need. Acoustic guitars should be the forefront. Especially on a song like to be without you.

It almost sounds like the acoustic stuff and vocals were recorded to a click track and the drums were added in later. Maybe that was the Capitol Records studio stuff he was getting help on from Don Was. The drums sound disjointed from the rest of the instruments.
As a drummer - and someone who drummed to all these tracks couple weeks ago - I totally get what you're saying.
I much preferred the drumming/mix on 1989.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #862
wheelhousetunes

wheelhousetunes is on a distinguished road

Since there has been HD Tracks releases for the first two singles, I'm sure the whole album will also come out. Has anyone bought them so far?

I'm a sucker for those high quality audios. Got all of his so far (except Carnegie Hall) and I'm sure I will with this one.
wheelhousetunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #863
Tombo64

Tombo64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Really love this album. Think it flows perfectly and has plenty of brilliant moments. My main criticism would be that some ideas seem a little undercooked and could have been developed a little more.

I really enjoyed Ashes & Fire and ST but I think this is better. As many here have said though, he does seem to have peaked lyrically in 2005. There are certainly some strong moments on Prisoner (and his last 2 albums) but nothing that really touches what he was capable of at his best.
Tombo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #864
millaa

millaa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptizedpotato View Post
im still hoping that the official release sounds a bit better than the leak. i feel his vocals are often very much back in the mix, but hopefully thats (partly) due to a low quality rip.

still loving the album, especially as an album. its flows extremely well, from opener DYSLM to We Disappear. DYSLM is miles better than its little brother Gimme Something Good. really love the organ and guitar in it. I really have to pace myself listening to it. hopefully it will still hold up in the long run.
I'm still not impressed with the production, I wasn't with 1989 either, but this is the sound he wanted so we have to see past that and enjoy the songs, which are pretty strong.
millaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #865
Stewboss

Stewboss can only hope to improve

On a side note i think "I Keep Running" is the best thing he has written recently (probably my favourite song of his since 2005)....just a glorious glorious song. I love Prisoner but i must concede i do miss Ryan in that Americana setting, he just nails it.
Stewboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #866
andyo812

andyo812 will become famous soon enough

Wait had anyone heard on the mystery box? Seems like its been awhile since it was brought up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #867
baptizedpotato

baptizedpotato has a spectacular aura aboutbaptizedpotato has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewboss View Post
On a side note i think "I Keep Running" is the best thing he has written recently (probably my favourite song of his since 2005)....just a glorious glorious song. I love Prisoner but i must concede i do miss Ryan in that Americana setting, he just nails it.
agreed, love that tune. sounds like a great lost Whiskeytown track. strange that he doesn't capture that vibe more often.
baptizedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #868
Stewboss

It's clear he can still catch that vibe when he wants too with Jacksonville and I keep running when he wants too. I imagine he will gravitate back towards that sound at one point. I think in some way shape or form it's in his DNA.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #869
Durk

Love I Keep Running
Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #870
Stewboss

It is a great great song ��
Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #871
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewboss View Post
That Jacksonville 7" is just killer.

Just broke it out the other night and that SOUND.

It's like taking a few Vicodin before breakfast.

"My hands move fast and my body moves slow"...
Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #872
LoadedLikeFreights

LoadedLikeFreights is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Love I Keep Running
Always appreciated the "Chains of Love" reference in it
LoadedLikeFreights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #873
Bcamaefule

Bcamaefule is an unknown quantity at this point

"Pressing all her buttons like the numbers on a telephone."

Great jam
Bcamaefule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #874
Durk

Moving in time with the clicking of the clock
And the static on the radio
Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #875
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

So many great lines

Tags
fake news, new album, prisoner, raging sense of entitlement