TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Electric Guitar Player Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #76
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: The Electric Guitar Player Thread

I also have a Squier strat and I really dig it, sounds very decent indeed for the low price tag. It's the first electric guitar I owned and I've had it since I was a teenager in the 90s. I don't use it much (never live because I use my Tele and my Les Paul Jr) but I did use it on the last EP we did because it had the sound I wanted and it was definitely good enough.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #77
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

New Big question...

I need an amp... my Line 6 Pod and Quadraverb GT are just OK.

Mostly just to play and sing over at home... some recording... not huge, but good enough for a live setting if needed...

Any recommendations?
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #78
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 combo.
Fender Hot Rod III.
Vox AC15.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #79
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Nice... those all look great.

Someone nearby is selling a Orange Dual Terror for $500, which seems like a good price from what I've seen online.

I did like the tiny terror when I played through it... any opinions about this one?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #80
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

I recorded with a 12" Tiny Terror once and was blown away from the range of sounds I got out of it. I usually use my volume knob on the guitar a lot to control my distortion, and that little guy was SO responsive and cleaned up like a hooker with a makeover.

I'd jump on that Orange if I were you.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #81
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
I recorded with a 12" Tiny Terror once and was blown away from the range of sounds I got out of it. I usually use my volume knob on the guitar a lot to control my distortion, and that little guy was SO responsive and cleaned up like a hooker with a makeover.

I'm gonna check it out. It's the dual... so it is supposed to have a third "fat channel" which people seems to rave about.

When I first played the Tele Deluxe in the shop it was through a Tiny Terror and I really hadn't that much fun playing with tones before.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #82
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:

I used to never use my volume control - just had it on full and switched on one of my two overdrive pedals when I wanted more gain (I have one set higher than the other). But a while ago I started using the volume control and it changed my life. I feel like a fool for not doing so all these years.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #83
GoodSkanky

http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

Anybody here play aluminum neck guitars... Travis Bean or old Kramers?

This cat at EGC is making them for about $2200 any they look incredible. I've never played one but saw a few at the big PRF gig in Chicago. Apparently any Steve Albini disciples swear by these.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #84
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

Anybody here play aluminum neck guitars... Travis Bean or old Kramers?

This cat at EGC is making them for about $2200 any they look incredible. I've never played one but saw a few at the big PRF gig in Chicago. Apparently any Steve Albini disciples swear by these.
I just got back from seeing Bob Dylan at the Mayo Civic Center and his guitar player, Charlie Sexton, was playin one of these aluminum guitars!
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #85
GoodSkanky

sweet! how was the show?! I've heard Dylan is hot & cold, but worth coming back to get the good ones.

Could you hear a difference in the guitar sound?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #86
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
sweet! how was the show?! I've heard Dylan is hot & cold, but worth coming back to get the good ones.

Could you hear a difference in the guitar sound?
I liked the show! His band was really tight. He moved from piano, to standing and singing, and played guitar on 2 songs. He played for about two hours, which is a good length, but he only played a one song encore, which was slightly disappointing. But I thought it was a good show overall!

Yeah I could hear the difference. A different guitar sound, idk how to really describe it other than it other than maybe it sounds more aluminumy.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #87
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I almost went. My parents did. I drove by the Civic on my way to the bar.

Pops said somebody should have taken the piano away from Bob.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #88
J_Bizness

Quote:
I almost went. My parents did. I drove by the Civic on my way to the bar.

Pops said somebody should have taken the piano away from Bob.
hahaha my pops liked bob's piano. It was real loud for a piano, but it is bob playing it, and everyone is there to see bob, so I think that evens it out.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #89
roscoe

roscoe is just really niceroscoe is just really nice

So I'm a Tele player but have an old Epiphone Les Paul sitting around & was thinking of getting it souped up - any suggestions on replacement pick-ups, esp for the bridge? Looking for a nice warm, late 60s/early 70s blues/rock sound...
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #90
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I have an Epi Paul that I've been looking to kick up a notch, so we're in the same boat.

I was thinking of a Seymour Duncan '59 for the bridge.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FSZxQgodtGQA5w

Or I was thinking of getting all Social Distortion with it and putting one of these in the bridge, but they're fucking spendy. Gibson P-94. Humbucker-sized P-90.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...FaaDQgodGmgAOA

Also look into getting it rewired, because if yours is like mine, is uses that cheap-ass snap connector to hook the pickup switch into the circuit.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #91
roscoe

Thanx Wok. Mine's is from the early '90s & has been in storage for a coupla years so think a rewire will definitely be required.

The S/Duncan '59 looks pretty cool, or the Antiquity humbucker, also by SD. Or perhaps Gibson '57 classics or Burstbuckers.

Time for some research I guess...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #92
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Cheers.

I also might just slap a Gibson 498T in there, since that's the bridge pickup in my SG and I like that a lot.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #93
roscoe

I'm kinda leaning towards the SDuncan '59 SH-1 or Antiquity I reckon... You just replacing your bridge PUP Wok?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #94
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Yeah, probably. I only use the neck once in a blue moon, and if my switch goes up, the pickup is usually turned down for a kill switch. Otherwise all my pedals start feeding back. Haha.

Plus, the ones in my LP are kind of dark, so I think I'll leave the neck in there to really make it different from the bridge. Maybe just replace the capacitor on the tone knob to try and brighten it up a tiny bit.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #95
roscoe

Yeah, think I'll just do the bridge too. Good luck with it dude...

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #96
lukin
I'm talking ace

So many of us in the same boat - I also have an Epi Les Paul that I want to get a new pickup for (well have been thinking of doing it for about 2 years now - I never use the guitar because I hate the sound of the pickup that's in there.

I already have the bridge pickup wired directly so the only thing it goes through is the volume knob (I even got the tone taken out because I always use it rolled all the way). So it would just be one pickup I'd be getting, I've just been avoiding it because of the cost but really it means that I would then have another guitar I could use so it would be totally worth it.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #97
GoodSkanky

hmmm... so I'm loving my tele deluxe, but I got so used to being able to bigger string bends on the locking nut that I find myself playing differently.

My big oversight was this: the Tele Deluxe has wide range pickups not humbuckers. As a result any big distortion sounds are different than what I'm used to.

It's great for clean sounds though. I wonder if a bridge humbucker would be a good idea. Any thoughts?

I sold my Ibanez, which was a mistake, but had my Kramer fixed up. It's a strat design with a coil tap humbucker. It has an original Floyd Rose, but I've blocked it for tuning stability. I can go downward, but not as smoothly as before. It's by "lead guitar" with 9's and the tele is 11s, is better for rhythm, I suppose.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #98
GoodSkanky

Here's my old Kramer. From the 80s... the pointy headstock gives it away. Regret selling the Ibanez, but this is a bit similar in layout. I'm really glad I brought this one back. It feels great.

I missed out on the amp, but the Pod is getting me by for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 28.jpg (93.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #99
lukin
I'm talking ace

Can we please all geek out and post pictures of our pedalboards?

I'll go first:

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Jim Dunlop Wah
Boss TU-2 Tuner
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Crowther Audio Hotcake (set to low overdrive)
Crowther Audio Hotcake (set to medium overdrive)
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
EH Stereo Memory Man
EH Freeze

The EB volume pedal is my latest addition, I used to never use the volume knob on my guitar, just had it on full all the time but started using it a while ago to control the amount of drive I'm getting - felt like a fool for never using it before. But I've found that it's often hard to change the volume while I'm playing so I got the pedal to use instead of the control on the guitar. It'll also be useful for when I want to gradually increase the drive/volume and of course for swells too.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #100
GoodSkanky

Mine's sadly just a POD 2.0 and headphones. I do own a Boomerang though, which I need to work with some more.
Sponsored Links