TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Electric Guitar Player Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #126
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Electric Guitar Player Thread

But still, he's got a magnetic pickup mounted on that thing.

But that's the reason I tried it in the first place years ago.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #127
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm officially loving the new Kramer.

It's very heavy. Black Walnut body with stripes of maple in the center. Aluminum neck, Ebonol (man made "ebony") fretboard. A tad neck heavy, but feels great.

Two DiMarzio humbuckers with coil taps.

I had my guy check it out in town. Eventually, we'll put a little shim to level out the bridge. We'll also dick with the electronics a little. Right now, three knobs are affecting tone, and only one for volume.

It's handing string bends a bit better than the Fender. The chords ring for a long long time. Interesting blend of hi and low eq.

It's a poorer man's version of a Steve Albini guitar. Poor is the wrong word, but you can find these for three figures, whereas a Travis Bean is 3k and up.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #128
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so I had my first scary moment with my new axe.

I did kind of an upswing with it for big chord and the neck tilted a little to the left and everything went out of tune. I shifted it back and it was fine. I sure hope that's not a big problem... neck pockets are a big deal. I pumped the guy for info about it plenty and the shop too.

I'll bet my guy can stabilize it, but I was weirded out big time.

Anyone had neck pocket issues?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #129
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my Tele didn't play right sometimes unless I gave the neck a nice yank.

It's just a situation of tightening the neck screws for short-term, and long-term is getting a shim put in so it doesn't move anymore. No big.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #130
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Yeah, my Tele didn't play right sometimes unless I gave the neck a nice yank.

It's just a situation of tightening the neck screws for short-term, and long-term is getting a shim put in so it doesn't move anymore. No big.
Thanks, Good to know. I imagine a shim would to the trick, as long as the pocket on the body isn't damaged. I may do that sooner than later. We're also going to build some c shaped shims to angle the bridge slightly.

The guitar's from 1977-1979, that's how it goes... Holy shit do I love this thing though. I've never played a guitar with this much sustain.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #131
GoodSkanky

Rookie question:

Why does the order of pedals change the outcome so dramatically?

If my put my reverb before my distortion, it sucks. Reverse it, it's great!

I actually thought my distortion and verb weren't compatible.

If I were using a chorus as well, what order would you use?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #132
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Generally I put distortion and overdrive pedals at the start of the chain, the only thing I have before it is my wah. Then after the OD/Distortion pedals I would put modulation effects (chorus/flange/phaser etc) - I don't have any of those though. Then at the end I put my time effects (reverbs/delays). I also have a trem - I throw that before the delays.

That's generally what I find works best but it's always worth experimenting because you never know what the results will yield - sometimes something you'd expect not to work will produce something awesome.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #133
GoodSkanky

So I'm thinking about replacing the pickups in my Kramer focus. It's a strat copy with a Floyd Rose trem. Probably not as good as the Ibanez, I sold, but it's been quite good since I had it fixed up.

I'm thinking about replacing the pickups. The stock ones have oxidized a bit and are kind of thin sounding.

Any suggestions?

Neck and middle single coil, bridge humbucker.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going for in terms of output. I'm thinking probably a classic strat sound, though I'm not against a neck humbucking single slot.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #134
GoodSkanky

Almost bought a cheap baritone guitar in Idaho on the Skanky family cross country drive. The place ended up being a little far of the radar. I didn't fancy getting sodomized by perverted neo-nazis in rural Idaho.

Now in Oregon and found a great Epiphone MIK Les Paul for a great price. I really don't need another guitar, but I couldn't resist. The strings are really old and could use a few adjustments, but so far it's a fantastic player.

I've attached the pic from the ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3Ke3L93J95N95F35Hfd5vbe7d07362dc71fb0.jpg (44.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #135
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Almost bought a cheap baritone guitar in Idaho on the Skanky family cross country drive. The place ended up being a little far of the radar. I didn't fancy getting sodomized by perverted neo-nazis in rural Idaho.

Now in Oregon and found a great Epiphone MIK Les Paul for a great price. I really don't need another guitar, but I couldn't resist. The strings are really old and could use a few adjustments, but so far it's a fantastic player.

I've attached the pic from the ad.
That looks exactly like my Epi LP, same colour even. Mine sounds like shit unfortunately, muddy as fuck. I've been thinking for a few years that I should buy a really good pickup for it (I only use the bridge pickup so wouldn't need to replace the neck one) and that should improve the tone. It feels really nice to play though, just the tone I don't like.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #136
ewok.online
CATHERINE

My Epi LP has the same problem. I love the way it plays and it's actually my go-to guitar to record solos with, even over the SG. But the stock pickup is so muddy that it's not really good for much else than lots of distortion.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #137
GoodSkanky

It looks and feels great. I'm travelling and the guy that sold it already sold his amp, so I haven't heard it plugged in yet.

Thanks for the heads up about the pick up. Most of the Epiphiles online all swear on putting in real PAFs or other classic LP pick ups, but like getting these for a decent price.

I got it for $250 with a stand, gig bag, tuner, picks, and straps. Seemed like a good price. Also, there's some that seems to covet the korean made Epi's over the newer Chinese models, but that's probably bunk.

What is the finish on yours... I can't tell if this is cherry sunburst or a flame burst.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #138
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Mine's a regular LP cherry. Jimmy Page style.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #139
GoodSkanky

Can you tell from my photo what finish mine is?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #140
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Looks to be more of a tobacco burst. It's darker and more brown than mine.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #141
lukin
I'm talking ace

It looks exactly like mine, which is a honeyburst (but quite a lot darker than most honeybursts you'll see) - if you google honeyburst most of them look not so red in colour as this, but there are a few that look pretty close to it. There does seem to be a bit of variance within each 'burst' type (which I like)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #142
GoodSkanky

Yikes... somebody stop me! I just bought a baritone guitar... the PRS SE Mushok... it's designed for boner nu metal shit, but I tried one out at the store that was nicely priced and for clean shit, it sounded wonderful. I like low lush chords... also I love my open chords, but they're not great keys for my voice. Instead of always capoing, I can go down.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #143
GoodSkanky

Got my Epi Les Paul back from the set up today. Feels and sounds great. Gibson style is to dial out the trebles with the wood and finger boards, but it's not too muddy and a thinner/more comfortable neck than many of the ones I've tried.

I still doesn't like the string bends much which is too bad... it's got great lead potential.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #144
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I found a cool new guitar company a friend from Nashville turned me on to. They're called PureSalem Guitars and they make low-money guitars and all the reviews are positive.

Bonus for me, the owner is a lefty so all their models are available that way. They make one called a Sad Fester that I REALLY WANT.

Spoiler:

Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #145
GoodSkanky

Looks like a decent axe... PAF and lipstick single coil. Do they do that in maple finger board... it would probably help get more Fender-y bright tones.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #146
lukin
I'm talking ace

Fender are reissuing the Starcaster and Coronados. Nice.

http://www.fender.com/en-NZ/features...ster-coronado/
Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #147
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Fender are reissuing the Starcaster and Coronados. Nice.

http://www.fender.com/en-NZ/features...ster-coronado/
Pretty cool...
Old 09-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #148
GoodSkanky

Found a used 1x12 Vox cab today. Nothing fancy, it's the Night Train, but it's got a greenback Celestion in it. It kicks ass over my 1x8 and my tiny Micro Terror sound pretty good through it!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #149
GoodSkanky

Anybody use piezo bridges on their electrics? I'm considering having one installed on of my electrics.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #150
GoodSkanky

I got a part of my soul back on Friday.

A few years ago, I traded my Ibanez guitar towards my Tele Deluxe, which I love. However... I regretted trading that guitar almost instantly. I didn't need the money... I just wanted to downsize. I just assumed that most of the Ibanez's were so mass produced they were a dime a dozen.

Turns out mine was pretty rare (they didn't make to many maple fretboards) and of a desireable year for great quality instruments. Insult to injury. This fall, I finally set out to find a replacement.

I took and chance on eBay and was not disappointed. I like the way it looks... easiest guitar to play, light weight. Great sounds. And it looks a little classier than a shredder.

As soon as I played I literally almost shed a tear! There's certainly differences from my old one, but it feels amazing.

Spoiler:
Sponsored Links