TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What concerts are you going to in the near future?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #126
oscarfuentes77

oscarfuentes77 is a glorious beacon of lightoscarfuentes77 is a glorious beacon of lightoscarfuentes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What concerts are you going to in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I'm going to see Cursive in April.

I've seen them 3 times already, but not since the Ugly Organ came out.
Cursive this week for the third time and Tom Petty in April. Regina Spektor is the opener for TP...should be a great show!
oscarfuentes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #127
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Just got back from Bon Iver again. So so incredible. We got Brackett,WI and Beach Baby tonight which we didn't get last night so that was cool.

Death Cab tomorrow night - 3 nights of awesome, this week rules.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #128
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarfuentes77 View Post
Cursive this week for the third time and Tom Petty in April. Regina Spektor is the opener for TP...should be a great show!
I really love Reg.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #129
plath

Lol the perks of being an ex-groupie... Guestlist for the upcoming Cursive show lol
Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #130
lukin
I'm talking ace

RADIOHEAD - NOVEMBER 6TH

Just got standing tickets in the public sale (missed out in the presale) - they were all gone in a matter of seconds so I was one of the lucky ones.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #131
lukin
I'm talking ace

Oh, and Death Cab for Cutie last night was awesome - got my favourite song (What Sarah Said). Great setlist. Can't believe it took them this long to come to my country, hopefully now they've had a taste they'll be back.

So after two nights of Bon Iver and one night of DCFC I'll be having a quiet evening at home tonight. One week until Ryan! Then 11 days after that St. Vincent, then one month after that, Justin Townes Earle. This year is working out so great for concerts.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #132
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

incredible luck!
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #133
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Craig Finn tonite.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #134
plath

Sharon van Etten in May
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #135
lukin
I'm talking ace

St Vincent on Monday!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #136
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
St Vincent on Monday!!!!
Ohhh, nice! You'll have to report back, I'm going in May.
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #137
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Finally seeing the Wooden Sky on April 4th!

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #138
lukin
I'm talking ace

Just got back from St Vincent - incredible! They played the new song Krokodil (I may have the spelling wrong) which is going to be on the record store day 7" - it's a real rocker, quite punkish even. Annie was sans guitar for that song and spent most if it going nuts in the crowd. The set was heavy on the new album, with some from Actor and only one song from Marry Me. It was a great set though and the new album is so good it didn't matter at all.

The last song of the night was My Lips Are Red, and Annie walked to the front of the stage right in front of me (this was a bar gig so there was no barrier or anything, I was right up against the stage, which wasn't that high), bent down and started going nuts on her guitar, really abusing it. Being a guitar player and it being right in front of me I kind of wanted to reach out and go nuts on it myself, then all of a sudden she reached out and grabbed my hand and pulled it to the guitar, giving me permission to go mad. Which of course I did. I pulled my guitar pick out of my pocket with my other hand and got some hard-out strumming going on, then started flicking the toggle switch back and forth, it was pretty rad. I was probably doing it for a good 30 seconds before she stood up again stepped back and proceeded to rip all of the strings off and throw the guitar on the ground. Then she picks up another guitar and continues with the rest of the song.

What a show. I thought that it might be a bit clinical at first because some of the songs near the start were obviously relying on sequences because her elaborate pedal board was automatically changing between patches at different parts of the songs (which is pretty cool, but it doesn't really leave any room for freedom), but there were other songs which were a bit looser (while still being tight if that makes sense), so there was a really good balance. Her guitar playing really is incredible and her rapport with the audience was really good - she is such a sweetie.

Didn't expect that show to be as good as it was. Post-gig high for sure. Now I am home and have to iron a shirt for work tomorrow. Back to reality. At least I have Justin Townes Earle in a month to look forward to.

Last edited by lukin; 03-19-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #139
lukin
I'm talking ace

Flight of the Conchords are finally doing a New Zealand tour (they haven't done one since before the TV show, so it's been years. I've never seen them live but I managed to get tickets today in the presale (which sold out in one minute).

So my upcoming list:
April 20th: Justin Townes Earle
June 19th: Flight of the Conchords
November 6th: Radiohead

How's that for a mixed bag?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #140
plath

One of my best friends got me a ticket for The Horrors in May! So excited, they're a great band. And today I just bought myself a Sunday and Monday ticket for the Forbidden Fruit festival (http://forbiddenfruit.ie/) which has a great little line-up!

My upcoming gigs then:

19th April - Ryan Adams
20th April - Ryan Adams
23rd April - The Staves
13th May - The Horrors
18th May - Sharon van Etten
3-4th June - Forbidden Fruit festival.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #141
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

JTE last night
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #142
plath

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie7 View Post
JTE last night
How was he?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #143
lukin
I'm talking ace

Saw JTE last night, third time seeing him and it was the best. I was a little disappointed at first that he didn't have the full band (especially since the posters said "JTE with band") but he still had a dude on double bass and another guy on guitar/mandolin which definitely added a lot to it.

I'm not a fan of Justin's live guitar sound, it always comes across as overly harsh but that seems to be how he likes it for some reason.

Just got a ticket for Bloc Party in NYC in August when I'm there - yay!

June 19th: Flight of the Conchords, Wellington, New Zealand
August 8th: Bloc Party, New York City, USA
November 6th: Radiohead, Auckland, New Zealand
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #144
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Elvis Costello on Saturday... He's doing that Blood & Chocolate Wheel of Fortune set list show.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #145
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

I've got a couple coming up...

June 22nd - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Manchester
September 7th - Noel Gallagher - London
November 11th - Frank Turner - Nottingham

Got standing tickets for all 3, thankfully.

I'd love to catch The Gaslight Anthem too, but that's looking unlikely.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #146
lukin
I'm talking ace

June 19th: Flight of the Conchords, Wellington, New Zealand
August 8th: Bloc Party, New York City, NY
August 9th: Desaparecidos, Minneapolis, MN
August 10th: Coldplay, St Paul, MN
November 3rd: The Black Keys, Auckland, New Zealand
November 6th: Radiohead, Auckland, New Zealand

When I write it down like that it looks super cool. Add to that the bands I've seen since Nov 2011 and the 12 months from mid-Nov 2011 to mid-Nov 2012 will be my best 12 months of music ever:
Bright Eyes, TV On The Radio, The National, Portishead, Bon Iver (x2), Death Cab for Cutie, Ryan Adams, St Vincent, Justin Townes Earle.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #147
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Horse Feathers next Wednesday. I'm also thinking of trying to catch St. Vincent. Oh, and David Bazan in about two weeks.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #148
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold
Joe Pug on Sunday night.
Maybe Deer Tick on Tuesday.
Turnpike Troubadours on Thursday
Either The Roseline or Gregory Alan Isacov on Friday.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #149
plath

Going to see The Horrors on Sunday night, really can't wait. Their name gives them a bad rep. but I think they're one of the more interesting rock bands of the music scene today,

Considering going to see John Ritter read from his new book in June but am not a huge fan so will see how my cash situation is at that point.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #150
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

So, I saw St. Vincent on Monday & I think it may have been one of my worst concert experiences ever, surprisingly.

Shearwater opened, who I'm not a fan of to begin with. For whatever reason, they did their sound check way late. they made us wait outside an extra 40 minutes before they'd let us in. Then we had to sit through the sound check anyway. Then they kept extending the set. Seriously, it would be time to be done and he'd say 'they said we can do 2 more.' All in all, not including the sound check, they played an hour. Then, even after that, she didn't come out for another 45 minutes. She as always looked & sounded incredible. We got 4 songs from Actor, a little more than she has been doing. Nothing from Marry Me.

However, she played a venue I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with & apparently tried remodeling and made it shittier. There used to be a big bench after the pit area and the stairs to get to the top part were after the bench with the bar along the far wall. Apparently the thought it would be a genius idea to move the bench & split the room in 2 - one side for under 21 and one over. They over sold the show by a lot, I mean you literally couldn't turn around. Somebody sat on my knee at one point. She is not the kind of artist I wanna be in a pit situation for.

Also, the effing air conditioner was broken. I damn near passed out at one point. Lee went to ge me a bottle of water and immediately the spot was full, he couldn't get back. If I didn't wanna vomit on people, I had to give up my place. I ended up watching 3/4 of the show on a screen around the staircase. Mind you it's a venue that should maybe hold 500 people, but had few hundred extra. I mean the stairs were full.

I also don't know when she got such an army of douchebag high school fans. I saw her tour for both of the previous albums & it was nothing like this. 95% of the people there were high schoolers. Two young gay dudes (which I don't have a problem about) were in front of me for a bit and kept rubbing each other nipples. I'm sorry, I don't care if you're gay or straight, I don't wanna see it. They knew only 1 song - Cruel, and talked through the rest of the show. There was another young girl nearby who was freaking out because St Vincent was bring too "jerky, why would she do that?" and really freaked when she hit herself in the head. Jesus Christ, she does it because it's her thing, it's how she plays. God, I'm getting old.

As much as I love her, if she doesn't play a better venue, I'll really have to reconsider seeing her next time around.

Good news, I was able to get the RSD 7" for $5. They're selling 10 per show.
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links