TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 07-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #3201
TheHappiness

TheHappiness is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I guess I donít understand why you care so much about his redemption arc. Or Louis for that matter. You either want to be a fan still or donít. We all have different roads to forgiveness. Like everything in life. Why do you care so much about other peopleís roads? If people want more from him in order to forgive, why is that bad?
Because in most cases, the ppl like you that say 'so and so didn't apologize enough', in most cases, will never be satisfied with any apology. Louis CK wasn't even good enough...

And, you've already made your opinion of DRA known. And you've lumped in his 20 years of being an asshole into his alleged abuse.

You are a FORMER fan. I respect that.

What I don't respect is you measuring DRA's apology. As if any apology could ever be enough for you. It can't. So quit trying.

And to imply that you're just on here heroically defending women is dumb.

It's a chat room.

Volunteer at a women's shelter...
TheHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #3202
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

What’s sad is that people want to move past this pretty cleanly. Or are dismissive or suspicious immediately of abuse claims. Or have no problem victim blaming. That’s what I’ve been pushing back on in this thread. Because I want a world w/o that.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #3203
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappiness View Post
What I don't respect is you measuring DRA's apology. As if any apology could ever be enough for you. It can't. So quit trying.

I find it amusing how certain you think you are about this today.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #3204
TheHappiness

Quote:
Whatís sad is that people want to move past this pretty cleanly. Or are dismissive or suspicious immediately of abuse claims. Or have no problem victim blaming. Thatís what Iíve been pushing back on in this thread. Because I want a world w/o that.
LOL. Fighting the good fight, uh? Spending a good use of time the last 5 months....

You have made your decision. That is why you 'push back' on DRA and his public apology almost immediately. And I would bet in the near future, other moves DRA will make will be looked at in a skeptical way.

So who cares what your opinion is on DRA's apology? You made up your mind. You already criticized the way Louie CK was silent for a year...
Old 07-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #3205
Tim Simmons

You do apparently. Very much.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #3206
TheHappiness

Quote:
You do apparently. Very much.

Awww. Nice try.

Keep 'measuring' apologies from guys you consider unforgivable. And believing that you're doing some good by posting on TBY for 5 months...
Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #3207
Tim Simmons

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #3208
TheHappiness

Quote:
Thanks!
Sure thing.

And keep falsely implying that DRA could possibly due something to earn your forgiveness...
Old 07-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #3209
Tim Simmons

Noted
Old 07-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #3210
Bart

Bart will become famous soon enough

Speaking of notes: what is Ryan's favorite key?

Spoiler:
A Minor
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #3211
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

You have made your decision. That is why you 'push back' on DRA and his public apology almost immediately. And I would bet in the near future, other moves DRA will make will be looked at in a skeptical way.

So who cares what your opinion is on DRA's apology? You made up your mind. You already criticized the way Louie CK was silent for a year...

Iím legitimately confounded, but your stance is that if one has a determined belief on a matter they shouldnít publicly share their opinion or Ďpush backí?

I would tend to believe that a lot of folks on this board, regardless of where they stand on the matter, care about one anotherís opinions.

Also after reading the statement again isnít it in fact just that, a statement? He doesnít apologize throughout and attributed the downfall to Ďliesí while providing no substantive information on his role in what was reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #3212
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough
Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Just some observations.

I thought the statement was a small step in the right direction. Admittedly Iíve no idea what kind of self reflection and path to redemption heís taken these last 5 months. If any. Not long in the eyes of most people but a life sentence to someone like Ryan. Heíd have written 2-3 albums normally in that time. Words arenít enough to earn him forgiveness just yet. And for someone whoís normally good with words I thought it was rambling and heartfelt and a little dismissive of the situation he finds himself in. Maybe Iím trying to dissect too much but thereís admission of guilt in it but also that he doesnít think it was all entirely fair game either. Itís no straight out apology which to some people is unacceptable. See Drowned in Soundís twitter response.

The cat posts and other social media ramblings shouldnít have followed so quickly after a statement like that. Kind of leaves a bad taste. Heíd only just offered up some sort of apology and then back to behaving in his Ďgood humourí manner which is a little too soon. Especially if we want to believe him. If thereís some credit due, it reads like a Ryan apology and not a legal statement. Not much credit though.

I hope for his sake he has more to say on the situation and not leave it at that. Iím sure in some way he will over time.

Ty Stiklorius sharing us their text exchanges a few weeks ago doesnít look great, he in one situation sounds like heís over the healing stuff but calling for it in his post. I guess we donít know the timeline of that post - was it only a few weeks ago or did this happen a few months ago.

There are some people who will continue to make it their agenda to kick him back down. Kelsey Kerrigan has continued to speak out on him in many instances these last few months. Any time Ryan was mentioned online she would offer up that sheís been stalked by him and continues to use a random number generator to get in contact with her. (Is that even a thing?) Iím not entirely sure what happened between the two, but her hatred seems to go much deeper than Mandy and Phoebe have publicly shared. Her comments and general behaviour on social media do weaken her credibility somewhat to just trolling.

The court of public opinion is always going to be the hardest. There is no precedent set for those coming out of the #MeToo in terms of what is considered justice served and dues paid. I do think we are holding up an incredibly high bar for these people more so than we would apply to those who commit more straight forward crimes.

We accept jail time as a sufficient sentence for most crimes. In the US, thereís states that think the death penalty is still acceptable. Those people who serve their time whether we like it nor not deserve to go back into society and be able to live their life and free from continued public shaming.

The recent Aziz Ansari Netflix special has had a mixed reception. Some have said he didnít spend enough time talking about the specific situation which I agree was short, but I thought the whole show was in response to the situation just more broader in scope. Of course Aziz didnít appear to have had a lengthy past like Ryan, but because Aziz is seen as a feminist ally his response has disappointed those that believe had the power to shift those on the fence or suspicious of the #MeToo movement at all.

Iíll listen to his albums when they come out but heís still got some work to do before heís in the clear.

Iím hopeful to see people like Jesse Malin being seen to somewhat supporting him, like Don Was. Asshole aside he deserves good people around him to help.

Last edited by dmorgan1; 07-21-2019 at 04:53 PM..
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #3213
TheHappiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
I’m legitimately confounded, but your stance is that if one has a determined belief on a matter they shouldn’t publicly share their opinion or ‘push back’?

I would tend to believe that a lot of folks on this board, regardless of where they stand on the matter, care about one another’s opinions.

Also after reading the statement again isn’t it in fact just that, a statement? He doesn’t apologize throughout and attributed the downfall to ‘lies’ while providing no substantive information on his role in what was reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another case of ‘the apology wasn’t good enough’ by someone who wouldn’t forgive DRA anyway and would probably be upset by any perceived ‘comeback’, no?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #3214
TheHappiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
Just some observations.

I thought the statement was a small step in the right direction. Admittedly Iíve no idea what kind of self reflection and path to redemption heís taken these last 5 months. If any. Not long in the eyes of most people but a life sentence to someone like Ryan. Heíd have written 2-3 albums normally in that time. Words arenít enough to earn him forgiveness just yet. And for someone whoís normally good with words I thought it was rambling and heartfelt and a little dismissive of the situation he finds himself in. Maybe Iím trying to dissect too much but thereís admission of guilt in it but also that he doesnít think it was all entirely fair game either. Itís no straight out apology which to some people is unacceptable. See Drowned in Soundís twitter response.

The cat posts and other social media ramblings shouldnít have followed so quickly after a statement like that. Kind of leaves a bad taste. Heíd only just offered up some sort of apology and then back to behaving in his Ďgood humourí manner which is a little too soon. Especially if we want to believe him. If thereís some credit due, it reads like a Ryan apology and not a legal statement. Not much credit though.

I hope for his sake he has more to say on the situation and not leave it at that. Iím sure in some way he will over time.

Ty Stiklorius sharing us their text exchanges a few weeks ago doesnít look great, he in one situation sounds like heís over the healing stuff but calling for it in his post. I guess we donít know the timeline of that post - was it only a few weeks ago or did this happen a few months ago.

There are some people who will continue to make it their agenda to kick him back down. Kelsey Kerrigan has continued to speak out on him in many instances these last few months. Any time Ryan was mentioned online she would offer up that sheís been stalked by him and continues to use a random number generator to get in contact with her. (Is that even a thing?) Iím not entirely sure what happened between the two, but her hatred seems to go much deeper than Mandy and Phoebe have publicly shared. Her comments and general behaviour on social media do weaken her credibility somewhat to just trolling.

The court of public opinion is always going to be the hardest. There is no precedent set for those coming out of the #MeToo in terms of what is considered justice served and dues paid. I do think we are holding up an incredibly high bar for these people more so than we would apply to those who commit more straight forward crimes.

We accept jail time as a sufficient sentence for most crimes. In the US, thereís states that think the death penalty is still acceptable. Those people who serve their time whether we like it nor not deserve to go back into society and be able to live their life and free from continued public shaming.

The recent Aziz Ansari Netflix special has had a mixed reception. Some have said he didnít spend enough time talking about the specific situation which I agree was short, but I thought the whole show was in response to the situation just more broader in scope. Of course Aziz didnít appear to have had a lengthy past like Ryan, but because Aziz is seen as a feminist ally his response has disappointed those that believe had the power to shift those on the fence or suspicious of the #MeToo movement at all.

Iíll listen to his albums when they come out but heís still got some work to do before heís in the clear.

Iím hopeful to see people like Jesse Malin being seen to somewhat supporting him, like Don Was. Asshole aside he deserves good people around him to help.
Aziz is a great example of gross over exaggeration
Old 07-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #3215
Tim Simmons

Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

I agree with that. And I believe he’s made decent amends. Haven’t seen the new special yet. Looking forward to it
Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #3216
Tim Simmons

Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

See TheHappiness, some apologies work!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #3217
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Another case of Ďthe apology wasnít good enoughí by someone who wouldnít forgive DRA anyway and would probably be upset by any perceived Ďcomebackí, no?
You repeatedly saying this doesn't make it so.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #3218
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryRedVinyl View Post
Do *you* think Ryan's recent post on Instagram was completely sincere?
That's a very pertinent question. Pertinent but unanswered.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #3219
BigColors

BigColors will become famous soon enough

Haven't logged in, in a while.
Jesus christ, are you guys still debating?
BigColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #3220
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Well it died down for a while, and then he resurfaced, so obviously this thread did too. Along with everyone's opinions.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #3221
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nope.

Have you entertained the idea that DRA might actually be sorry?

Nope.

To you, he hasn't done enough.

Just like with LCK. He didn't 'show you' he was sorry enough during his year of seclusion.

Come on Simmons. You're anchored in your opinion. No apology will be enough for you (or others).
you're pretty dense and have a clear fan bias of a douch pickle.

lck doesn't deserve our fandom or pity or acceptance.

that fucker came back and bitched about how much money he lost out on for his book sales...yeah, real apologetic.

get a grip
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #3222
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
How sweet. I certainly found Jason's enthusiastic harassment of Mandy Moore, Phoebe Bridgers and others beautiful. Every time he called one of them a slut or a golddigger or a liar; the world got just a little bit more lovely. Even multiple (and apparently pointless) Twitter bans couldn't deter him from offering all that love and support. Quite a guy.
i like what you did here. sarcasm on point.

that dude is toxic sludge.

JUST like ryan adams.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #3223
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
I can think of a few of them here.
i'm ready for an apology....

this is not an apology.

the pity party fan seeking and lumping your dead brother in w/ your troubles and tribulations and then texting only what, two weeks ago he wasn't interested in healing but now he wants to work and heal that way...

dude is a first class first rate scum bag.

if he changes his tune and actions i'm all for that kind of apology and growth...NOT MORE OF THE SAME.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #3224
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
i like what you did here. sarcasm on point.

that dude is toxic sludge.

JUST like ryan adams.
who is Jason?
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #3225
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

"Come here, child..."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0NUaiNpn-p/
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links