TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #3476
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Ryan teasing Big Colors on his latest instagram post.
Loveishello86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:09 AM   #3477
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
Not saying this guy is lying or something, but wasn't RA married to Mandy for like a few months at that point? Kinda doubt he was out on a public date in NYC and just happened to run into another Cardinal, lol.
I also scratched my head that Neal ran into Ryan at exactly that moment. I live in a city of 200.000 inhabitants and I never run into someone. But everything else isn’t that surprising.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #3478
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Just because odds are high, doesn’t mean it’s not possible.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #3479
mustbeburt

mustbeburt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
Ryan teasing Big Colors on his latest instagram post.
I don't see the post where he's teasing Big Colors. Did he remove it?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #3480
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustbeburt View Post
I don't see the post where he's teasing Big Colors. Did he remove it?
yeah, actually looks like he did.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #3481
mustbeburt

Do you remember what it said? Do you know if it was a new clip or if he was recycling an old post? (It's been a lot of recycling lately)
Old 12-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #3482
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

He’s posted the clip before, back when he was promoting Bog Colors. Clip was from Summer Rain (from memory?) with the caption “Back to the future...” or something similar. He has removed it though.

You can probably find the clip online elsewhere but I have some copies of the clips if someone wants them.
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #3483
Wolfman
- To be young is to be sad

Wolfman can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
He’s posted the clip before, back when he was promoting Bog Colors. Clip was from Summer Rain (from memory?) with the caption “Back to the future...” or something similar. He has removed it though.

You can probably find the clip online elsewhere but I have some copies of the clips if someone wants them.

I think it said "A flashback from the future". It was a clip he already shared on Twitter, back in Feb. It was this exact clip: https://twitter.com/TheRyanAdams/sta...55110591287296

Which sounds like the best BC song.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #3484
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I think it said "A flashback from the future". It was a clip he already shared on Twitter, back in Feb. It was this exact clip: https://twitter.com/TheRyanAdams/sta...55110591287296

Which sounds like the best BC song.

Thank you. You are correct.
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #3485
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

He's got a lot to say.

And he will.

Soon.
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #3486
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
He's got a lot to say.

And he will.

Soon.
maybe next decade
Old 12-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #3487
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
graph

thought this was interesting:

Remember when seven women went on the record in a New York Times report dated February 13, which accused singer-songwriter Ryan Adams of “a pattern of manipulative behavior in which Adams dangled career opportunities while simultaneously pursuing female artists for sex”? At the time, Adams’s weekly streams had been hovering around the 2 million mark (up from an average of 1.5 million weekly streams in 2018), perhaps as a partial result of the widely covered January 8 announcement that he planned on releasing three albums in 2019. After the accusations, Adams’s streams did not keep up the momentum. Through the week of November 14, 2019, he’s averaged 1.3 million streams per week this year, down 16 percent from last year. Though his profile has lessened following the accusations, he has nonetheless retained the bulk of his streaming audience.

https://themuse.jezebel.com/these-mu...nin-1840150589
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #3488
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

I get that Ryan's a dick and all, but putting him in the same category as serial child rapists, double murderers, and sex slave keepers? Seems a bit extreme.

Otherwise a fascinating article. This data points to the fact that the morally righteous universe being invented by the press and Twitter culture simply doesn't exist, at least when it comes to the arts.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #3489
mustbeburt

In other news - he broke his streak of his "365 Days of Gratitude" posts on Instagram. He hadn't missed a day up through this past Monday (Dec. 9). I think that was Day #34.

Just thought it was worth noting. Maybe not.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #3490
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
In other news - he broke his streak of his "365 Days of Gratitude" posts on Instagram. He hadn't missed a day up through this past Monday (Dec. 9). I think that was Day #34.

Just thought it was worth noting. Maybe not.
def worth noting.

that guy is a self-serving dick wad. gratitude my ass. how about a big slice of humble pie w/ an apology.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #3491
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I didn’t think he was doing it every day. Seemed like there were gaps earlier, but I could be wrong.

I have a hunch we’ll see Ryan playing live again in 2020.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #3492
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I didn’t think he was doing it every day. Seemed like there were gaps earlier, but I could be wrong.

i have a hunch i won't be buying a ticket!

thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #3493
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post

I definitely think he’s been testing the waters/seeing what fans reactions to him will be. Especially when he re-posted that Big Colors clip the other day. I’m just not totally sure he even wants a comeback. I can’t tell if he just doesn’t care about getting his career back on track at this point (and is enjoying the time off), or if he is just too stubborn...I just don’t think he will ever address the elephant in the room on his own accord. I knew the “I will, soon” was going to be his way to get around actually saying anything. I’m just surprised he would rather let his career slip away than suck it up and do the “healing crap” his manager suggested, whether he believed he was actually wrong or not.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #3494
futurecalling

Tbh I'm sick of listening to music about shadows and rain anyways.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #3495
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post
Otherwise a fascinating article. This data points to the fact that the morally righteous universe being invented by the press and Twitter culture simply doesn't exist, at least when it comes to the arts.
It certainly exists, it just doesn't always overlap with the artist's fanbase. If Ryan were to announce a tour tomorrow, I guarantee you it would spark some form of outrage, but it might come from people who never listened to him in the first place.

What's preventing new Ryan releases and tours isn't a lack of demand from his fans, it's just a matter of companies not wanting the heat that would come from aligning with him, and he doesn't generate enough money to make it worthwhile. If Ryan had the pull of a Chris Brown, we would have had all three albums and the tours by now.

That being said, I absolutely believe he's going to make an attempt to resurface in 2020. I just don't know how he thinks he's going to be able to control the narrative when it comes time to do interviews.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #3496
hi_there

hi_there is a jewel in the roughhi_there is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
I definitely think he’s been testing the waters/seeing what fans reactions to him will be. Especially when he re-posted that Big Colors clip the other day. I’m just not totally sure he even wants a comeback.
Really? I think he wants literally nothing else.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #3497
mustbeburt

My take is that he's seeking the path of least resistance that will result in the best chance to return to doing what he loves to do - creating, sharing, playing, recording, and selling music. As far as a comeback goes, the only possibility at this point (if he does not own and apologize for wrongdoing) will be a career that is a shadow of what it once was and could have been. A large majority of those that were most invested in him and were his biggest fans won't be anymore. And reaching new fans will be extremely difficult without the support of large scale promotion.

What I don't think he realizes is he could be the person to set a new trend and standard. Someone who messed up, messed up big time, acknowledges it, sincerely asks for forgiveness, becomes an advocate for healing in the area he messed up in, and then puts his career on the back burner for as long as necessary. It's only after a process like that could he truly have a "comeback".

There would be plenty of people who will say he only went through all of that so he could be successful again, but you can't do anything about that. But in the end it all has to start with a genuine and honest conversation.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #3498
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:
My take is that he's seeking the path of least resistance that will result in the best chance to return to doing what he loves to do - creating, sharing, playing, recording, and selling music. As far as a comeback goes, the only possibility at this point (if he does not own and apologize for wrongdoing) will be a career that is a shadow of what it once was and could have been. A large majority of those that were most invested in him and were his biggest fans won't be anymore. And reaching new fans will be extremely difficult without the support of large scale promotion.

What I don't think he realizes is he could be the person to set a new trend and standard. Someone who messed up, messed up big time, acknowledges it, sincerely asks for forgiveness, becomes an advocate for healing in the area he messed up in, and then puts his career on the back burner for as long as necessary. It's only after a process like that could he truly have a "comeback".

There would be plenty of people who will say he only went through all of that so he could be successful again, but you can't do anything about that. But in the end it all has to start with a genuine and honest conversation.
The problem with the "cancel culture" is that nothing is ever good enough for those people. One mistake should prevent you from ever having a career again in their eyes, and it's gotten way over the top in most cases. I think we are starting to see a pushback to that ridiculous narrative, but it took a few years.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #3499
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I know. All these people that can’t have careers anymore who have disappeared totally
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #3500
futurecalling

Lol @ the Eckhart Tolle post - could this guy be any more of a cliche?

Also, how many fucking times is this douchebag gonna make "g-ma's succotash"?
Sponsored Links