Go Pack Go!!

trappss1 is a jewel in the roughtrappss1 is a jewel in the rough
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

The Dante Club
trappss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #52
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

I'm just about to start Tom Sykes "A Drunkards Tale - What did I do last night?"
Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #53
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I've finished The Truth (With Jokes), and it was an enjoyable read. It's depressing, astonishing and one-sided, but that's what I was expecting from a book that goes after the Republicans. The jokes (as advertised in the title), kept the book nice and light. I'd recommend it, as long as you enjoy Al Franken's humor.

I've just started The Republican War On Science, and it's definitely not as easy of read. Still good so far, though.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #54
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

"The Outsider" Camus
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #55
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
"The Outsider" Camus
I had to read that in French for school.
I can't remember much about it though, apart from being somewhat confused.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #56
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
I had to read that in French for school.
I can't remember much about it though, apart from being somewhat confused.
I don't mind it. Although personally as far as existentialist writers go, I prefer Kakfa, especially The Trial. That's a brilliant novel.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #57
trappss1
Go Pack Go!!

trappss1 is a jewel in the roughtrappss1 is a jewel in the rough

I had to read that for school as well and I really liked it.
trappss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #58
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Grotesque by Matsuo Kirino.

Pretty engrossing so far, this is the story of two feuding sisters, one of whom becomes a prostitute and is brutally murdered at the beginning of the novel. The story of her murder and the relationship between the two women is told in a series of flashbacks and diary entries.

What's interesting though, is the suspicion that one or more of the dual narrators may be lying......so the whole novel is a big guessing game that keeps you thinking.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #59
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

I'm in the middle of two books right now for my Intro to Analysis in English Lit course. The first is Broken Music by Sting. It's his memoirs. I only had to read the first 99 pages for the class but I've decided to finish it because it's just so good, and I'm not even that big of a Police fan.
The other is Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King. I don't really understand whats it's about yet since it keeps going back and forth between several character stories with these really strange bits in between involving the Lone Ranger, Ishmael and a few other fictional characters. But even though I don't totally understand it yet I still really like it and it's pretty funny at times.
SkortBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #60
brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus will become famous soon enough

"The Accidental Buddhist" - Dinty Moore

"Visits From The Drowned Girl" - Steve Sherrill
brkndwnbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #61
thefed
PLEBISCITA

thefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkndwnbus View Post
"The Accidental Buddhist" - Dinty Moore
i loved that book!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #62
thefed
PLEBISCITA

thefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to all

Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World's Most Revered and Reviled Bird

Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #63
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

I had started reading The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. It's all about Hero myths, but as I got back into uni I sort of left it on my bedside table untouched.

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #64
brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
i loved that book!

Yeah, so did I!...He was a teacher of mine at Penn State; he was an awesome teacher. One of the main reasons I write creative writing non-fiction is because of him.
brkndwnbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 AM   #65
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

The Cutting Room - Louise Welsh.

Not sure it lives up to all the hype it generated, but its still an interesting read so far.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #66
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

This Wheel's On Fire by Levon Helm.

It's his memoirs, from his days as a child in Arkansas, touring with Ronnie Hawkins and Bob Dylan through his time in The Band. It's very interesting, and Levon his a great storyteller. I'm halfway thru it (they just started recording Big Pink) and it's been hard to put it down.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #67
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #68
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

This thread.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #69
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
This Wheel's On Fire by Levon Helm.

It's his memoirs, from his days as a child in Arkansas, touring with Ronnie Hawkins and Bob Dylan through his time in The Band. It's very interesting, and Levon his a great storyteller. I'm halfway thru it (they just started recording Big Pink) and it's been hard to put it down.
I read that some years back, really enjoyed it.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #70
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
I read that some years back, really enjoyed it.
I just finished it last night -- it's definitely one of the better books I've read. The bitterness against Robertson really comes out at the end, and the parts about Richard just make my eyes start to well up.

He name-dropped Cindy Cashdollar near the end, so there's the RA link to this.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #71
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

Ben Fountain - Brief Encounters with Che Guevara
sicottem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #72
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

The Brotherhood of Eternal Love - the Story of the LSD counterculture. I've only just started this but it's scary and I never really knew the history before.

Last edited by Faded Rose; 04-16-2007 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: typos
Faded Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #73
thefed
PLEBISCITA

Faking It: The Quest for Authenticity in Popular Music
Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #74
Donald

Donald is just really niceDonald is just really nice

David Lowenthal - The Past is a Foreign Country

Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #75
risa
Top Poster!!

risa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to all

The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links