TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What Are You Reading Now?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #876
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

I just read Oryx and Crake by Atwood. I felt like it was a little too predictable in the end, but when I think back on the story I'm not sure why. Guess I was just wanting something more. Do you have a favorite by her?

I know lots of people are big fans of Ellis here. I will get to him one day. I'm kind of chicken though and serial killers creep me out.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #877
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
I just read Oryx and Crake by Atwood. I felt like it was a little too predictable in the end, but when I think back on the story I'm not sure why. Guess I was just wanting something more. Do you have a favorite by her?

I know lots of people are big fans of Ellis here. I will get to him one day. I'm kind of chicken though and serial killers creep me out.
My favourites from her are The Handmaid's Tale and Alias Grace. Both are fantastic and better than Oryx and Crake I think.
Ellis is not always a comfortable read and some of this later books are a bit hit and miss. Rules of Attraction, Less Than Zero and American Psycho are all stellar. American Psycho is extremely violent and disturbing though.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #878
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Less Than Zero is probably a good entry point into Ellis -- it was for me.

American Psycho can be a tough read, but I love it. I must crave the extreme violence.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #879
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

I finished Be Here Now on the way to Austin and had to buy books in the airport. Now I'm reading A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah. It's good
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #880
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

[quote=Sydneyfan;447060]My favourites from her are The Handmaid's Tale and Alias Grace. QUOTE]

I've heard good things about both of those, so I will put them on my list.

[quote=hildegoat;447061]Less Than Zero is probably a good entry point into Ellis -- it was for me.
QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #881
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

Carrie by Stephen King
SkortBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #882
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be back in this thread next year when I'm done this.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #883
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #884
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Less Than Zero is probably a good entry point into Ellis -- it was for me.

American Psycho can be a tough read, but I love it. I must crave the extreme violence.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #885
loserer
. . .

loserer will become famous soon enough

^ Oryx & Crake sounds at once intriguing and like a very difficult concept to pull off well.

finished

reading
Old 08-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #886
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Just finished "Mountains Beyond Mountains" and now I'm reading "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #887
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris wheel junkie View Post

it's about surfing.
this book was kind of so-so until the end. brilliant end. not happy, but it made it a good story.

it made me want to find out if i can still hold my breath underwater for as long as i could when i was a kid.
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #888
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Just finished this. Kinda weird....but it was fun to read.

littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #889
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #890
jumpshipmusic

jumpshipmusic is a jewel in the roughjumpshipmusic is a jewel in the rough

What a fantastic book and movie. I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns which is Hosseini's second book.

http://www.john-mcmanus.com
http://www.facebook.com/johnmcmanusmusic
http://www.twitter.com/johnhmcmanus

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
---Rob Gordon, High Fidelity
jumpshipmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 AM   #891
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

I think I'd like to read Be Here Now (Ram Dass) next.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #892
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone here read "A Short History of Tractors In The Ukraine" by Marina Lewycka? I'm meant to have read it for book club on Thursday and I forgot all about it. Worst book club member ever.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #893
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

It sounds like a coffee table book my grandfather would read. I'll give him a call tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #894
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
It sounds like a coffee table book my grandfather would read. I'll give him a call tomorrow.
Your grandfather likes tractors? He should get together and have a playdate with my father. They have much in common.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #895
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I was a farm kid, remember? He built the farm I used to live on with his brother, so getting him tractor books is an easy gift.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #896
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I was a farm kid, remember? He built the farm I used to live on with his brother, so getting him tractor books is an easy gift.

Oh yeah, that's right. My dad likes bulldozers and backhoes as well. He used to drive them for a living. Maybe I should just invite him along to my Book Club. Or do some heavy duty cheat googling before Thursday night.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #897
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

His German grandfather immigrated from Ukraine too, so he may have actually been a consultant on this book.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #898
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
His German grandfather immigrated from Ukraine too, so he may have actually been a consultant on this book.
Holy hell, I need to speak to your grandfather immediately plz! He can save me from Book Club shame.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #899
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

took less than two days to read, but very moving.
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #900
SkortBrun

Sponsored Links