TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What Are You Reading Now?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #1901
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Summer reading guide: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...-summer/66049/
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #1902
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Really good book for you vintage guitar geeks. Also if you haven't heard Deke Dickerson's music... it's alot of fun. Rockabilly sound and fantastic playing with a healthy sense of humor.

GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #1903
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #1904
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I read this a few years ago. Enjoy!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #1905
gweeps
=

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I read this a few years ago. Enjoy!!!
Finished it. Amazing description. Not sunny reading material. But hilarious in some parts. Life can be ludicrous.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #1906
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

This behemoth.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #1907
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

I started that long ago and then abandoned it with the good intentions of coming back when I was in a better frame of mind. I found the tone incredibly depressing. Post your thoughts - maybe it will inspire me to tackle it again.

In the meantime, I'm getting ready to start:
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #1908
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
I started that long ago and then abandoned it with the good intentions of coming back when I was in a better frame of mind. I found the tone incredibly depressing. Post your thoughts - maybe it will inspire me to tackle it again.
You're right, it is depressing and you do have to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it. I'm about 130 pages in and enjoying it, but yeah...even now and then I have to pick my moments because of its sheer density. There's just so much going on, he's writing in different voices, sometimes in first person. But it's also providing a window into the completely unique mind that created such a complex universe.

It also appeals to me as a tennis fan, so I'm interested in Hal's story and the goings on at Enfield Tennis Academy. I love his description of the game too:

Quote:
Were he now still among the living, Dr. Incandenza would now describe tennis in the paradoxical terms of what's now called 'Extra Linear Dynamics.' And Schtitt, whose knowledge of formal math is probably about equivalent to that of a Taiwanese kindergartner, nevertheless seemed to know what Hopman and van der Meer and Bolletieri seemed not to know: that locating beauty and art and magic and improvement and keys to excellence and victory in the prolix flux of match play is not a fractal matter of reducing chaos to pattern. Seemed intuitively to sense that it was a matter not of reduction at all, but - perversely - of expansion, the aleatory flutter of uncontrolled, metastatic growth - each well-shot ball admitting of n possible responses, 2n possible responses to those responses, and on into what Incandenza would articulate to anyone who shared both his backgrounds as a Cantorian contiuum of infinities of possible move and response, Cantorian and beautiful because infoliating, contained, this diagnate infinity of choice and execution, mathematically uncontrolled but humanly contained, bounded by the talent and imagination of self and opponent, bent in on itself by the containing boundaries of skill and imagination that brought one player finally down, that kept both from winning, that made it, finally, a game, these boundaries of self.
And his descriptions of characters in the midst of depression and anxiety are so painfully accurate. Only someone who was struggling with it to that degree could elaborate upon it as beautifully as he did.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #1909
babyklipklop
blobby fish

babyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to behold

I'm listening to my book in audiobook form to see if it's okay before we put it out for people to buy/listen to.

If you want to read it, then you can/should: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17229482-the-automat
babyklipklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #1910
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #1911
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #1912
gweeps
=

Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #1913
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I have that on my to read list.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #1914
JackStark211

Finishing up "The Secret History Of The World" by F. Paul Wilson. I've been reading the books since March. Sad to only have 3 left.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #1915
gweeps
=

Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #1916
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #1917
JackStark211

The Secret History Of The World.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #1918
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #1919
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Still slowly working my way through Infinite Jest. I take breaks every hundred or so pages and read something else. Started this one just this morning.

Looking forward to the PT Anderson film adaptation next year.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #1920
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Academic book on certain aspects of John Zorn's music.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #1921
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
did you like this?
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #1922
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie7 View Post
did you like this?
Yeah I did. He writes pretty well, it's really interesting to hear his insights of prison life, and how he managed to stay positive for so long.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #1923
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I just started this last night. Pretty good so far.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #1924
lukin
I'm talking ace

Halfway through, it's really good - Peter Hook writes in a way that you're just sitting down with him and he's having a yarn, which isn't unlike the Neil Young book really, but more to the point - it is pretty much all about Joy Division, he doesn't go off waffling about model trains for a chapter (not to say I didn't like that about the NY book).
Old 12-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #1925
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having trouble putting this down at the moment - it's a terrific read. For anyone familiar with John Safran's TV work, this is written in a very similar style to one of his docos. He assembles a really fascinating cast of real-life characters and presents a picture of life in Mississippi that I doubt the local tourism board will be thanking him for anytime soon.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links