TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What Are You Reading Now?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #1926
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post

I'm having trouble putting this down at the moment - it's a terrific read. For anyone familiar with John Safran's TV work, this is written in a very similar style to one of his docos. He assembles a really fascinating cast of real-life characters and presents a picture of life in Mississippi that I doubt the local tourism board will be thanking him for anytime soon.
I've heard good things about it and have seen people reading it on the train. Will keep that in mind for future reading.

Just read this in about a day and a half. Would've taken less time if not for work and sleep. It's, of course, hilarious but also surprisingly moving.

ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #1927
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:

I'm having trouble putting this down at the moment - it's a terrific read. For anyone familiar with John Safran's TV work, this is written in a very similar style to one of his docos. He assembles a really fascinating cast of real-life characters and presents a picture of life in Mississippi that I doubt the local tourism board will be thanking him for anytime soon.
I loved both the Music Jamboree and J.S. vs God tv series, so may need to add this to my list.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #1928
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Finished this earlier in the month:

Currently partway through this:
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #1929
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Nice. I just started:

"I, Shithead: A Life in Punk Rock" by DOA's Joey Keithley

and

"Spray Paint the Walls: The Black Flag Story" by Steve Chick
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #1930
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #1931
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Old 02-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #1932
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

My holiday reading:

Enjoyable little kitchen-sink thriller that raises a number of questions about how far parents should go to protect their children. Cate Blanchett has apparently secured the movie rights and will direct a film version.

Controversial story based on the real-life case of a female school teacher who had sex with a 14 year old male student. Tries to be a homage to Lolita ( with a female Humbert obvs) but the icky sex scenes, emotionless narrator and lack of character development result in a fairly hollow experience. The button-hold book cover is pretty clever though.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #1933
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

For the first time in about a decade.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #1934
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Loving this so far, especially the humour and all the 1930's slang.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #1935
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

[quote=Sydneyfan;758539]My holiday reading:

Enjoyable little kitchen-sink thriller that raises a number of questions about how far parents should go to protect their children. Cate Blanchett has apparently secured the movie rights and will direct a film version.

Did you end up enjoying this? I saw the audio version at the library the other day and thought I would pick it up next for my long drives to work.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #1936
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Yes, I thought it was pretty good overall. I figured out the ending a little early, but that aside, it's a thought-provoking read.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #1937
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Just finished this - bizarre and quite gruesome, with frenetic pacing and a plot reminiscent of a fever-dream. The ending is fabulous, although I had to re-read the last 10 pages a couple of times to "get" it.

Spoiler:

And just about to start this for book club:

Old 04-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #1938
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

Finally starting Sharp Objects.
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #1939
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

In short story mode at the moment. Enjoying this quite a bit.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #1940
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Just finished this - bizarre and quite gruesome, with frenetic pacing and a plot reminiscent of a fever-dream. The ending is fabulous, although I had to re-read the last 10 pages a couple of times to "get" it.

Spoiler:

And just about to start this for book club:

I think he lives in my hood.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #1941
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #1942
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
What did/do you think of this?
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #1943
Corporal Brown

Quote:
Yes, I thought it was pretty good overall. I figured out the ending a little early, but that aside, it's a thought-provoking read.
I finished it a little while ago. It was ok. I was hoping there was going to be a little more to it at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerqueen View Post
What did/do you think of this?
I really enjoyed it. It was grand and sweeping and all of those things, but with a bit more modern feel. I liked the big questions that it addressed overall. There were a few parts that I felt might have been shortened. But, I definitely recommend it. It also made me read Dostoyevsky's The Idiot, which I might not have picked up, and I enjoyed that as well.

Right now I'm reading Philip K Dick's Time Out of Joint, Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading, and stacks and stacks of end of the semester essays.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #1944
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

10 Overlooked Novels -

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...-many-you-read
Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #1945
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
I finished it a little while ago. It was ok. I was hoping there was going to be a little more to it at the end.

Agreed that the ending was the weakest part of the book, mainly because it seem pretty obvious early on what the outcome was going to be. The writing seemed a little stilted at times as well, but I thought that might be partially because it was a translation.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #1946
Corporal Brown

Ahh, I didn't think about the translation factor. That very well may have impacted the prose. I also think I might have liked it better if I had read it instead of listening to the audio book. I've been listening to more books lately because I have a long commute to work. Sometimes it is fantastic to hear a story or really well written prose, but with some books there is a pacing issue.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #1947
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Soon to be a major motion picture directed by Ron Howard (zzzzzzzz) apparently. Not a bad read so far, although the story is far more compelling than the writing for me.

Edited to add: Now that I've finished reading it, I can say I think it's massively overhyped and one of the most badly written books I've read in the past couple of years. Yes, it does keep you guessing until (almost) the end, but how it won numerous literary awards in Europe is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 05-27-2014 at 09:13 PM..
Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #1948
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Haven't been on here in ages. Hi everyone.

Currently reading The Crimson Petal and The White by Michel Faber and loving it. Sydneyfan recommended it to me years ago and I'm finally reading it now. Going to have to check out more Michel Faber now. Any recommendations on what are his best?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #1949
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
Haven't been on here in ages. Hi everyone.

Currently reading The Crimson Petal and The White by Michel Faber and loving it. Sydneyfan recommended it to me years ago and I'm finally reading it now. Going to have to check out more Michel Faber now. Any recommendations on what are his best?
P! Nice to see you here again. So glad you're enjoying Faber. I can also recommend his (much shorter) novel Under the Skin, which is one of my faves. It's VERY different to Crimson Petal though - this one is a quirky sci-fi novel set in the Scottish highlands. He also has two collections of short stories that are worth checking out - Some Rain Must Fall and another collection called Vanilla Bright Like Eminem.

He has written a couple of novellas as well, but to be honest, I thought they were disappointing.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #1950
lukin
I'm talking ace

Sponsored Links