TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What Are You Reading Now?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #1976
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Stephen King's newest, Mr. Mercedes. I'm enjoying it. He's so good at building characters and suspense.

But I can't wait for his upcoming book, Revival. It's supposedly a straight horror novel. It's been a long time since King released something with real bite.
I need to catch up on King. I've read everything he has put out up until after Full Dark, No Stars.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #1977
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Just finished the new Margaret Atwood and I can highly recommend it. Terrifically inventive tales that are typically Atwood - a strong, complicated (but not always particularly likeable) woman as the protagonist and a storyline that seldom fails to surprise. The Freeze Dried Groom, Lusus Naturae, The Dead Hand Loves You and the title story were the standouts for me.
Nice! I'll have to pick it up!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #1978
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

The Booker shortlist has been announced:

Rise Again At a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris
The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
J by Howard Jacobson
The Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee
How to Be Both by Ali Smith

The Narrow Road to the Deep North is by an Australian author and is fantastic, btw.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #1979
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

I'll put that on my list. I really enjoyed To Rise Again at a Decent Hour.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #1980
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

finished one of the Steve Berry books... Da Vinci code but not a fun.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #1981
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Richard Flanagan just won the Booker for The Narrow Road to The Deep North.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #1982
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

I just checked it out from the library.

Also, I read Atwood's short story collection Stone Mattress and McEwan's The Children Act this past weekend. I really enjoyed both.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #1983
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Gillian Flynn's Dark Places

Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #1984
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Gillian Flynn's Dark Places

Glad you're exploring Gillian's Dark Places, but how's the book?
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #1985
JackStark211

Haha
Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #1986
Corporal Brown

Michel Faber's The Book of Strange New Things

I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #1987
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
Michel Faber's The Book of Strange New Things

I'm enjoying it so far.
I didn't even realise he had a new book out. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #1988
Corporal Brown

Yes, please read so we can discuss! I really enjoyed it. Don't read any interviews with him beforehand though. It will change it for you.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #1989
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
Yes, please read so we can discuss! I really enjoyed it. Don't read any interviews with him beforehand though. It will change it for you.
ok, will do
Old 11-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #1990
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Oh, sad news CB - I just read that Faber claims this will be his final novel. He is said to have written it as a homage to his late wife who passed away with cancer recently, and has now decided he is not inspired to write any more.

“History proves that most writers get forgotten anyway,” he said. “That’s very likely to happen to my books, and if I’m extremely lucky, maybe one of my books will survive. The books I’ve written are my contenders, and whatever happens will happen. It’s enough.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/ar...ng-novels.html
Old 11-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #1991
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Wait, that's why you told me not to read interviews, right....oops

I was reading some Good Reads.com reviews and someone posted the news plus a link....oh well, not to worry. I've got the book and will be starting it tonight. The storyline sounds fascinating.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #1992
Corporal Brown

Yes, I didn't want you to know. I had heard something about his wife being sick before I read it. Then, a little way in, it hit me that this was to her, and it just stabbed me.

Regardless, it has so much to say. It has stuck with me in so many ways.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #1993
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

The Dragon in the land of Snows - Tsering Shakya

A recommended reading for anyone interested in modern Tibet.
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #1994
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

The Atlantic writers list their favorite books of the year: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ngle_page=true
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #1995
Corporal Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
The Atlantic writers list their favorite books of the year: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ngle_page=true
I like that they put in books that didn't come out this year, but that impacted their year none the less.

I've got some of their books on my "to be read" list as well.

I read Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle (the Mountain Goats guy) today. It was disturbingly accurate in the way it portrayed that unnamable feeling of melancholy that can sometimes over take a person, and the premise and some of the periphery concepts were really interesting. I'm still processing, but I can think I can safely say I would recommend it, though it disturbed me.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #1996
JackStark211

Great book!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #1997
JackStark211

Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 AM   #1998
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Annihilation blew my mind. Authority was such a let down, though. Got Acceptence lined up. I've heard it's better.
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #1999
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I'm putting John Safran's Murder In Mississippi on my list. I've seen too many people reading it on my morning commute to not check it out.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #2000
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Annihilation blew my mind. Authority was such a let down, though. Got Acceptence lined up. I've heard it's better.
I really like it so far. Very nice change of pace.