What Are You Reading Now?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #2001
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I really like it so far. Very nice change of pace.
I thought the same thing to begin with, but then things changed. At any rate, God speed, good sir
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #2002
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Finished this a few weeks ago. It's interesting, but a good amount of repetition and meathead statements.

And I'm half-way through this:
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #2003
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
I thought the same thing to begin with, but then things changed. At any rate, God speed, good sir

I really liked it. Tomorrow I'll start book 3.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #2004
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Hmm. Yeah, just a bit of a slog for me. Still have yet to start book 3. Too wrapped up in the Walking Dead books at present. The show is so meh, but the books are really good.
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 AM   #2005
roscoe

roscoe is just really niceroscoe is just really nice

'Heart of a Dog' by Bulgakov. Like Terry Southern reworking 'Frankenstein'. Love me some Bulgakov.

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #2006
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

Harper Lee To Publish "To Kill A Mockingbird" Sequel titled “Go Set a Watchman”.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/bo...ovel.html?_r=0

I will check this out upon release.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #2007
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Old 02-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #2008
JackStark211

Just finished all 3 books in the Southern Reach Trilogy. I am so happy to have discovered these books and will recommend them to everyone. You can also buy the combined edition with all the books as one simply titled Area X.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #2009
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

I have a piece of flash fiction in the new issue of Brilliant Flash Fiction. Thought I'd share. https://brilliantflashfictionmag.wor...-5-march-2015/

Mine's called "Sudoku." It's towards the middle of the issue.

Oh, and I just finished Ishiguro's The Buried Giant, which I enjoyed.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #2010
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite pretentious, but it has some good information in it.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #2011
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
I have a piece of flash fiction in the new issue of Brilliant Flash Fiction. Thought I'd share. https://brilliantflashfictionmag.wor...-5-march-2015/

Mine's called "Sudoku." It's towards the middle of the issue.

Oh, and I just finished Ishiguro's The Buried Giant, which I enjoyed.
Bravo, that was very well written and very poignant. Congrats. This sentence was particularly powerful:

Quote:
And, if I can fill in these boxes, face the predetermined, fly in the face of Chekhov, who doesn’t get to make the rules anyway, if I can do these things, then she will stay safe.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #2012
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Got it yesterday. 100 pages in. It's been hard to put down.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #2013
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Bravo, that was very well written and very poignant. Congrats. This sentence was particularly powerful:
Thanks, Syd! I really appreciate the kind words!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #2014
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished this - it's a well-written, speedy little page turner. A movie version is planned.

And just started this:

Old 05-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #2015
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Absolutely beautiful.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #2016
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post

Absolutely beautiful.
Yes... this was really good.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #2017
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

This is a nice summer read. Each chapter is a story on how a certain food has been moved around the world historically, and how the technologies used were applied outside of that scope:

Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #2018
Potion09

Potion09 has a spectacular aura aboutPotion09 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
This is a nice summer read. Each chapter is a story on how a certain food has been moved around the world historically, and how the technologies used were applied outside of that scope:

That's an interesting concept. On a semi-related note, I finished up Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast" a few weeks ago. That was my first time reading it. I definitely enjoyed the insight into who he was (or at least how he saw himself) in his early years in Paris because I really enjoy his books.
Potion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #2019
JackStark211

Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #2020
Corporal Brown

Quote:
Just finished this - it's a well-written, speedy little page turner. A movie version is planned.

And just started this:

I've read both of these in the last few months. I really enjoyed Hausfrau. I just read this:
Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #2021
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I've read both of these in the last few months. I really enjoyed Hausfrau.
The writing style is very distinctive in Hausfrau and I'm liking it a lot so far. It's got a Madame Bovary-type vibe going on - albeit with far more explicit sex scenes.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #2022
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

If you want to understand the modern world better, this book is for you. You will be outraged.

Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #2023
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Excellent........a new Margaret Atwood novel is scheduled for a late Sept release.

Quote:
Living in their car, surviving on tips, Charmaine and Stan are in a desperate state. So, when they see an advertisement for Consilience, a ‘social experiment’ offering stable jobs and a home of their own, they sign up immediately. All they have to do in return for suburban paradise is give up their freedom every second month – swapping their home for a prison cell.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #2024
Corporal Brown

Quote:
Excellent........a new Margaret Atwood novel is scheduled for a late Sept release.

Excellent! Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it. I recommend her last collection of story stories, Stone Mattress. Did you finish hausfrau? I agree about the writing style.

I'm reading and enjoying The Quick and the Dead by Joy Williams. It's weird but I like it so far.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #2025
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it. I recommend her last collection of story stories, Stone Mattress. Did you finish hausfrau? I agree about the writing style.

I'm reading and enjoying The Quick and the Dead by Joy Williams. It's weird but I like it so far.
Yes, finished hausfrau.

Spoiler:
The ending was bleak, but quite powerful. I'd found Anna such a an easy character to dislike - her self-absorption, her lying, her varying degrees of disinterest in her own children - but she had my sympathy at the end. The final line about the trains running late for the rest of the day really resonated.
Sponsored Links