TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What Are You Reading Now?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #2026
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Just started this yesterday -

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #2027
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Yes, finished hausfrau.

Spoiler:
The ending was bleak, but quite powerful. I'd found Anna such a an easy character to dislike - her self-absorption, her lying, her varying degrees of disinterest in her own children - but she had my sympathy at the end. The final line about the trains running late for the rest of the day really resonated.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I thought it got a little weird when her husband hit her because I guess I had just missed that possibility in their relationship. And, I got frustrated with her because I wanted something else for her, or wanted her to be able to see something else for herself.Overall, it made me think, and I would read her writing again.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #2028
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Just finished this - it's a well-written, speedy little page turner. A movie version is planned.

And just started this:

I just finished The Girl on the Train. I have to say that I wanted to hurl it at the wall by the end, but unfortunately I read it on my e-reader. haha. It's the one bad thing about e-readers, you can't get a good old fashioned hurling in. Early on it was pretty obvious who it was. I still enjoyed the book somewhat anyway.. until the ending. I was so disappointed by how the ending played out. urgh.

I have Hausfrau on my to read list.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #2029
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Slaughterhouse-Five

And

You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself

Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #2030
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
I just finished The Girl on the Train. I have to say that I wanted to hurl it at the wall by the end, but unfortunately I read it on my e-reader. haha. It's the one bad thing about e-readers, you can't get a good old fashioned hurling in. Early on it was pretty obvious who it was. I still enjoyed the book somewhat anyway.. until the ending. I was so disappointed by how the ending played out. urgh.

I have Hausfrau on my to read list.
Ha, I had myself convinced there would be a double twist at the end somehow....but alas, nope. I thought Rachel was an interesting, reasonably well-constructed character though, so I enjoyed that aspect of the book.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #2031
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #2032
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
I felt this way too! I've got to stop reading anything in which Gone Girl is mentioned in the review. It isn't that I'm not entertained by this type of book; it's that I get so frustrated with the characters. I want to shake them! Though I suppose if the writer is trying to evoke an emotional reaction, it is working at some level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post

You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself

This looks really interesting. Might have to check it out.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #2033
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
I felt this way too! I've got to stop reading anything in which Gone Girl is mentioned in the review. It isn't that I'm not entertained by this type of book; it's that I get so frustrated with the characters. I want to shake them! Though I suppose if the writer is trying to evoke an emotional reaction, it is working at some level.
Ha, same here! When I see Gone Girl mentioned, I will now run for the hills. I really enjoyed the earlier chapters of the book, but by the end I felt like it had degenerated into a bad movie script.

C - For a time I held out hope for a double twist at the end too. Disappointing as I felt the storyline had better potential.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #2034
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Started this on the weekend:

hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #2035
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Mark Black - NoMeansNo: Going Nowhere

and a book about Pussy Riot
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #2036
Scottdc

Scottdc is an unknown quantity at this point

In the middle of Across the great divide - a story of the band and America.

A brilliant book about one of the great bands.
Scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #2037
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdc View Post
In the middle of Across the great divide - a story of the band and America.

A brilliant book about one of the great bands.
I read This Wheel's On Fire, and thought it was great. I've read enough about them and watched enough documentaries that there wouldn't be much new in another book, but I might look for this one.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #2038
Scottdc

Scottdc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
I read This Wheel's On Fire, and thought it was great. I've read enough about them and watched enough documentaries that there wouldn't be much new in another book, but I might look for this one.
Its not a new book as such, its from the late 90's I think.

Its by barney hosykns whose a great music writer.
Scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:00 AM   #2039
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

It's the 200th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo and if you want a fun book to read that you'll learn from then I suggest this. Quite accurate description of the battle and whilst the end part of a series, it works well as a standalone I think.

Plot twist: Sean Bean doesn't die.
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #2040
foggy
dangerous when cornered

Old 09-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #2041
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I'm new to Angela Carter, and am enjoying this short story collection so far. Powerful writing.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #2042
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Almost halfway through it. I like that he breaks stuff down for people who know nothing about music, but it also becomes an interactive experience. I've taken to reading this with my headphones on and Spotify at the ready. Whenever he explains things about composition he gives different pieces of music as examples. Really enjoy that aspect of it.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #2043
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Undermajordomo Minor by Patrick DeWitt.

Loved his last book (The Sisters Brothers) a lot and this is shaping up to be equally as hilarious. Like, laugh out loud funny. Check it out
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #2044
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Looking forward to starting this tonight - it's been ages since I've read any historical non-fiction and this is getting rave reviews.

Also, just saw that a free expression manifesto written by Stephane Charbonnier (the slain editor of Charlie Hebdo) and completed just two days prior to his murder will be published in the US early 2016.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #2045
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Very amusing book about the digestive system. Jack should really take a look at this one.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #2046
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Very amusing book about the digestive system. Jack should really take a look at this one.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #2047
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post

Yeah?
Old 11-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #2048
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Amazon link
Old 11-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #2049
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Sooooooooooooooo good
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #2050
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post

Absolutely beautiful.
Agreed. That's such a great book. Just got M Train, but may have to re-read this after I finish.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links