TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Game of Thrones

Old 05-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #276
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyf View Post
Whatíd you think of the Bron scene with Jamie and Tyrion, I liked it butsaw some complaints on reddit about the logistics of him just showing up with a big ass crossbow while the two of them were together. Fair criticism to me but I liked the scene.
It was fun. Random. But fun.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #277
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

It was weird. Also, I don't want to hate Bronn, but that made me hate him.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #278
nyf

nyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I think if itís meant to motivate Grey Worm and Dani, itís a fridging. Robs wife couldnít be because Rob died a minute later. Fridging is when a woman is killed to motivate a man to action.
Okay I can see how Robs wife isnít a fridging then.
nyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #279
nyf

nyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to all

Tim, I'm torn.

I have trouble with simply dismissing Missandei's death as something to be annoyed by as fridging when nearly the entire show's plot is propelled by a living character's reaction and subsequent motivation from another character's death. Yes, Missandei is a woman, and yes it motivates Grey Worm, but it also, and arguably moreso, motivates Dany, another woman.

I think broadly speaking the trope outside GoT arises from JUST women giving motivation to JUST men, but within the realm of Game of Thrones, it's not just women, and in turn more difficult to classify Missandei's death as fridging.

Catelyn Stark was a woman and her death motivates plenty of men, but also Arya and Sansa. On the other hand, Ned Stark, a man, and his execution motives men and women characters - in turn the plot - forward. Geoffrey's assassination furthers/motivates Cersei, woman, and Jamie, man. It motivates and furthers the women of the Tyrell family, and Sansa and motivates another man, Tyrion.

What I'm getting at is how much of Missandei's death is a fridging versus how much of it is the usual advancement of the series' plot and right in line with the usual? Sure it's not as nuanced and layered like the examples I've given, but c'mon, they had to wrap the series up in 6 episodes. It's a difficult discussion and especially given the current times and headlines and #metoo movement, one that I think is important and relevant, but also, I'm just as in line with art for the sake of art and when it comes to art nothing being out of bounds. I have to thank you for bringing this up because it's something I'd never heard of and now, will never not see/recognize. It's a tricky one to navigate and I think that the devil is in the details, the surrounding content, circumstances, how it's handled, etc. answers to fridge or not to fridge. In Missandei's case, I'm thawing out.

Last edited by nyf; 05-07-2019 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Readability and to justify fridging in the context of GoT vs other popular media.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #280
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyf View Post
Tim, I'm torn.

I have trouble with simply dismissing Missandei's death as something to be annoyed by as fridging when nearly the entire show's plot is propelled by a living character's reaction and subsequent motivation from another character's death. Yes, Missandei is a woman, and yes it motivates Grey Worm, but it also, and arguably moreso, motivates Dany, another woman.

I think broadly speaking the trope outside GoT arises from JUST women giving motivation to JUST men, but within the realm of Game of Thrones, it's not just women, and in turn more difficult to classify Missandei's death as fridging.

Catelyn Stark was a woman and her death motivates plenty of men, but also Arya and Sansa. On the other hand, Ned Stark, a man, and his execution motives men and women characters - in turn the plot - forward. Geoffrey's assassination furthers/motivates Cersei, woman, and Jamie, man. It motivates and furthers the women of the Tyrell family, and Sansa and motivates another man, Tyrion.

What I'm getting at is how much of Missandei's death is a fridging versus how much of it is the usual advancement of the series' plot and right in line with the usual? Sure it's not as nuanced and layered like the examples I've given, but c'mon, they had to wrap the series up in 6 episodes. It's a difficult discussion and especially given the current times and headlines and #metoo movement, one that I think is important and relevant, but also, I'm just as in line with art for the sake of art and when it comes to art nothing being out of bounds. I have to thank you for bringing this up because it's something I'd never heard of and now, will never not see/recognize. It's a tricky one to navigate and I think that the devil is in the details, the surrounding content, circumstances, how it's handled, etc. answers to fridge or not to fridge. In Missandei's case, I'm thawing out.

I agree with you. Ned and Even Brans assassination attempt were the first things I thought of.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #281
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fair. And we'll see how it develops. I hope I'm wrong. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. On top of that they killed one of the only 2 black people on the show.

The show has been plagued with criticisms with how poorly they've represented characters of color and women (and rape) on the show and then they do this. Again, I'm happy to see how it plays out, but its some bad optics for sure.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #282
JackStark211

Holy shit what an episode.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #283
nyf

Yeah dude it was pretty wild.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #284
JackStark211

So many people crying. lol