TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

Old 11-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #51
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McF View Post
question:

is Ponting a speed or a spin bowler?
I'd call him a medium pacer.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #52
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

i would have thought with his stature he would have been a spinner, was he a good bowler?
Kevin McF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #53
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i would have thought with his stature he would have been a spinner, was he a good bowler?
I think he can be reasonably handy, yes. He's taken quite a few wickets at state level for Tasmania if I recall correctly.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #54
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

I've never seen him bowl thats why I ask. I feel like I heard in an interview he said he had "retired" from bowling
Old 11-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #55
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I've never seen him bowl thats why I ask. I feel like I heard in an interview he said he had "retired" from bowling
He may have - he was never a full time bowler, more a fill in when needed.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #56
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Didn't he get Vaughan or Pietersen out once during the last Ashes? It was some part-time bowler anyway
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #57
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Didn't he get Vaughan or Pietersen out once during the last Ashes? It was some part-time bowler anyway
Hmmm, could be. I'll check it out later at work since I'm now in full cricket-nerd mode.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #58
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

the first one is awesome, love the hair flying everywhere!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #59
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

SYMMOOOOOO!!!!!

"The only black man in the world who doesn't know how to dance", according to something he said in an recent interview.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #60
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

on a related note, he is huge!

i was grocery shopping in Perth, and who walks down the isle, but Clarke and Symo! I tried not to stop and stare but it didnt work, i mean come on, i was looking at pasta sauce and turn my head and BAM! there they were, i wanted to stop and say something but couldnt think of anything
Old 11-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #61
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
on a related note, he is huge!

i was grocery shopping in Perth, and who walks down the isle, but Clarke and Symo! I tried not to stop and stare but it didnt work, i mean come on, i was looking at pasta sauce and turn my head and BAM! there they were, i wanted to stop and say something but couldnt think of anything
He seems like a nice guy actually, very down to earth. He should have been playing for England actually, he was born there. He was adopted as a baby by an Australian couple who were living in England at the time.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #62
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

really? i had no idea he was adopted, if he doesnt see any action this series maybe he will defect for the next set of ashes :p
Old 11-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #63
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Quote:
really? i had no idea he was adopted, if he doesnt see any action this series maybe he will defect for the next set of ashes :p
We'll take him. He played a few season for my county Kent, he really is a useful player to have, especially in the one-dayers.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #64
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Yes, he has never met his real parents but obviously one was a West Indian and the other an Anglo or some similar combination. I read recently that he has no desire to find them and isn't really interested in discovering anything about his West Indian heritage.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #65
trappss1
Go Pack Go!!

trappss1 is a jewel in the roughtrappss1 is a jewel in the rough

Is he wearing silver colored lipstick in those pictures?
trappss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #66
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappss1 View Post
Is he wearing silver colored lipstick in those pictures?
Yes, because all cricketers wear makeup during a match.

No, its zinc cream. It stops you getting sun and wind burnt.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #67
trappss1
Go Pack Go!!

trappss1 is a jewel in the roughtrappss1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Yes, because all cricketers wear makeup during a match.

No, its zinc cream. It stops you getting sun and wind burnt.
They make sunscreen now that doesn't show up you know.
trappss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #68
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappss1 View Post
They make sunscreen now that doesn't show up you know.
Yes I know that but it is not as effective as zinc cream. It provides total block out and also reduces the impact of the wind on your skin. These guys spend a lot of time standing around in the sun.

It also comes in different colours:

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 11-24-2006 at 04:15 PM..
Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #69
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

random cricket fact of the day, i had no idea that hayden has the second highest score of all time with 380 vs Zimbabwe
Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #70
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Another random cricket fact of the day - Hayden and Symonds were lucky not to drown a couple of years ago during a fishing trip in Queensland. Their small boat sank and they to swim a couple of kms back to shore. Luckily they were both very fit.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #71
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Ouch.

Who says cricket isn't a contact sport?

Certainly not Coogee sixth grader Shane Preston, who underwent five hours of facial reconstructive surgery following a supposedly gentle day's play at the weekend.

In a sickening replica of Steve Waugh and Jason Gillespie's infamous 1999 collision, Preston was rendered a bloodied mess after running headlong into a teammate while attempting a skied catch at Booralee Oval on Saturday.

Described by club officials as the most horrific injuries suffered in a park match in living memory, the 26-year-old emerged from hospital last night with four titanium face plates, a wired jaw and three missing teeth.

Preston told The Daily Telegraph he had "eyes only for the ball" when he collided with English teammate Phil Shipman.

"I just came charging in from deep mid-wicket and the next thing was, whack, I was out cold," Preston recalled from his bed at Prince of Wales Hospital yesterday.

"I was knocked out for about 15 seconds. When I came to I felt all right but when I noticed blood everywhere and my missing teeth, I knew something was seriously wrong."

The Coogee-Waverley match was abandoned after two ambulances arrived to treat the pair.

But while Shipman stoically returned to the pub later that night with two teeth marks at the back of his head, Preston remained in hospital on a morphine drip.

"The doctors said I can't eat solids for six weeks now, which is a bummer because Christmas is coming up," he said with regret.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:47 AM   #72
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

damn, glad that wasnt the result of the hussey/lee collision
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #73
Quincy
1up

Record-breaker Yousuf leads push

Pakistan's Mohammad Yousuf set a record for the most Test runs in a year as the hosts neared victory and a 2-0 series success on day four of the third Test.

Yousuf passed Viv Richards' record of 1,710 runs against the West Indies in Karachi on his way to a ninth century this calendar year, also a record.

Having scored 102 in the first innings, Yousuf hit 124 and Mohammad Hafeez 104 before Pakistan declared on 399-6.

Chasing 444 to win, the West Indies lost both openers to finish on 39-2.

Chris Gayle played on from Umar Gul's second ball of the innings, and Daren Ganga was trapped lbw by Shahid Nazir to leave the tourists reeling ahead of the final day.

Those wickets capped a miserable day for the Windies, who found little assistance off the slow and low wicket of the National Stadium.

Hafeez and Yousuf added 149 runs for the third wicket after resuming on 130-2, with the latter enjoying some luck after being dropped by Ganga on 68.

When on 43, Yousuf surpassed the Pakistan record of most runs in a three-match series, set by former great Zaheer Abbas with 583 made against India in 1978, and he passed Richards' landmark with his 47th run.

Hafeez's patient innings was his second Test century while Inzamam-ul-Haq notched a much-needed unbeaten 58 before opting to declare and force the Windies to bat in the early-evening conditions.

And that decision paid dividends as Gayle and first-innings stalwart Ganga fell to leave the onus on Brian Lara (18no) to help snatch an unlikely victory on day five and save the three-match series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6158611.stm
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #74
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
damn, glad that wasnt the result of the hussey/lee collision
Have you ever seen footage of the Waugh/Gillespie crash they mention?

Must rank as the worst accident in professional cricket. Horrible stuff to watch.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #75
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Record-breaker Yousuf leads push

Pakistan's Mohammad Yousuf set a record for the most Test runs in a year as the hosts neared victory and a 2-0 series success on day four of the third Test.

Yousuf passed Viv Richards' record of 1,710 runs against the West Indies in Karachi on his way to a ninth century this calendar year, also a record.

Having scored 102 in the first innings, Yousuf hit 124 and Mohammad Hafeez 104 before Pakistan declared on 399-6.

Chasing 444 to win, the West Indies lost both openers to finish on 39-2.

Chris Gayle played on from Umar Gul's second ball of the innings, and Daren Ganga was trapped lbw by Shahid Nazir to leave the tourists reeling ahead of the final day.

Those wickets capped a miserable day for the Windies, who found little assistance off the slow and low wicket of the National Stadium.

Hafeez and Yousuf added 149 runs for the third wicket after resuming on 130-2, with the latter enjoying some luck after being dropped by Ganga on 68.

When on 43, Yousuf surpassed the Pakistan record of most runs in a three-match series, set by former great Zaheer Abbas with 583 made against India in 1978, and he passed Richards' landmark with his 47th run.

Hafeez's patient innings was his second Test century while Inzamam-ul-Haq notched a much-needed unbeaten 58 before opting to declare and force the Windies to bat in the early-evening conditions.

And that decision paid dividends as Gayle and first-innings stalwart Ganga fell to leave the onus on Brian Lara (18no) to help snatch an unlikely victory on day five and save the three-match series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6158611.stm
Maybe he takes the same special vitamins and herbs as Shoaib Akhtar?
That's some pretty good batting.
Sponsored Links